Author Topic: Hood screens  (Read 5094 times)

TOBKOB

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: Hood screens
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2020, 11:27:12 AM »
did they bond them before or after the underside black paint was done? Gary

I believe after.

+1
1969 GT350 owned since 1970

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
  • The original Influencer
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2020, 11:29:07 AM »
Well played

shelbymann1970

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2020, 01:38:35 PM »

I believe after.

+1
This picture makes me ask some questions. Workers are very industrious. They find ways to make their jobs easier and I have seen that first hand. So I was under the impression that the front clips were assembled then painted on the cars. Has this been the assumption? Now this picture shows a fender sitting on a rack painted. We also see what appears to be a guy masking up the front fenders to paint the headlight buckets dark gray. I do not see the grill or stone guard mounted. My POINT? Well in disassembly of my car for the first time ever it appeared my headlight buckets would have been painted without the stone guard or grill on as they had dark argent in the overlap area. Also while at one time someone painted my front area black the back side of my grill and the 2 little covered areas by the stone guard on my headlight buckets were dark argent(color matched at Painters supply as dark argent). This process of painting doesn't match some photos we have seen before. I am again bringing up the possibly by this photo that the workers found out it would be much easier to paint those other pieces off the car in batches instead of assembled on the car. Any thoughts? Gary
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2020, 02:04:21 PM »

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2020, 02:05:09 PM »
Parts painted on a rack. This would be before masking shown above

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2020, 02:08:28 PM »
Front clips were painted, then assembled, then attached to the car. Picture shows a completely assembled front clip (only) on its way to car production line
« Last Edit: July 27, 2020, 02:11:56 PM by Coralsnake »

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2020, 02:09:31 PM »

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2020, 02:11:35 PM »

I believe after.

+1
This picture makes me ask some questions. Workers are very industrious. They find ways to make their jobs easier and I have seen that first hand. So I was under the impression that the front clips were assembled then painted on the cars. Has this been the assumption? Now this picture shows a fender sitting on a rack painted. We also see what appears to be a guy masking up the front fenders to paint the headlight buckets dark gray. I do not see the grill or stone guard mounted. My POINT? Well in disassembly of my car for the first time ever it appeared my headlight buckets would have been painted without the stone guard or grill on as they had dark argent in the overlap area. Also while at one time someone painted my front area black the back side of my grill and the 2 little covered areas by the stone guard on my headlight buckets were dark argent(color matched at Painters supply as dark argent). This process of painting doesn't match some photos we have seen before. I am again bringing up the possibly by this photo that the workers found out it would be much easier to paint those other pieces off the car in batches instead of assembled on the car. Any thoughts? Gary
Pete posted pictures (thank you) before I had time to post. The assumption is that the front clip was painted off of the car as a bolted together assembly. Other pictures yet show the entire front clip being held in a fixture and lowered on to the car to be installed in one piece. I have a local restoration shop that has followed the factory sequence on a number of occasions and found it to be the easiest way compared to separate painting and assembly on the car. The front end all together is relatively light and is easily and safely managed without the use of the lifting crane by 3 people . One on each fender and one on the front . One person could easily lift the entire assembly but given the size it does take more to safely manage the assembly into position on the car by hand.  My own observations indicates that the grill was painted black from the mfg and then typically painted the dark argent front side only . I have seen evidence in the form of overlapping paint witness lines that the grill at least some of the time not all of time was positioned in the nose prior to being bolted down and painted a second time . My guess being to cover scratches to the headlight buckets and surrounding areas that may have happened during positioning. After the touch up painting the grill was bolted down.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2020, 02:19:00 PM by Bob Gaines »
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2020, 02:13:25 PM »
I am here for you Mr Gaines

TOBKOB

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2020, 10:43:19 PM »

I believe after.

+1
Maybe this will help... :)

TOB

« Last Edit: July 27, 2020, 10:46:04 PM by TOBKOB »

TOBKOB

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2020, 10:45:06 PM »

I believe after.

+1
Pete posted pictures (thank you) before I had time to post. The assumption is that the front clip was painted off of the car as a bolted together assembly. Other pictures yet show the entire front clip being held in a fixture and lowered on to the car to be installed in one piece. I have a local restoration shop that has followed the factory sequence on a number of occasions and found it to be the easiest way compared to separate painting and assembly on the car. The front end all together is relatively light and is easily and safely managed without the use of the lifting crane by 3 people . One on each fender and one on the front . One person could easily lift the entire assembly but given the size it does take more to safely manage the assembly into position on the car by hand.  My own observations indicates that the grill was painted black from the mfg and then typically painted the dark argent front side only . I have seen evidence in the form of overlapping paint witness lines that the grill at least some of the time not all of time was positioned in the nose prior to being bolted down and painted a second time . My guess being to cover scratches to the headlight buckets and surrounding areas that may have happened during positioning. After the touch up painting the grill was bolted down.
This may answer some questions... :)

TOB

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2020, 11:14:28 PM »
This may answer some questions... :)

TOB

Got to love the two wood tool boxes tossed/set on the air cleaner :)
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2020, 11:16:30 PM »

I believe after.

+1
picture makes me ask some questions. Workers are very industrious. They find ways to make their jobs easier and I have seen that first hand. So I was under the impression that the front clips were assembled then painted on the cars. Has this been the assumption? Now this picture shows a fender sitting on a rack painted. We also see what appears to be a guy masking up the front fenders to paint the headlight buckets dark gray. I do not see the grill or stone guard mounted. My POINT? Well in disassembly of my car for the first time ever it appeared my headlight buckets would have been painted without the stone guard or grill on as they had dark argent in the overlap area. Also while at one time someone painted my front area black the back side of my grill and the 2 little covered areas by the stone guard on my headlight buckets were dark argent(color matched at Painters supply as dark argent). This process of painting doesn't match some photos we have seen before. I am again bringing up the possibly by this photo that the workers found out it would be much easier to paint those other pieces off the car in batches instead of assembled on the car. Any thoughts? Gary
Maybe this will help... :)

TOB
Reply #24 picture shows when a grill may have been painted twice. Once off of the car prior to install then possibly a second time if when installing some scratches with the minimal clearance between the grill and headlight bucket occured. I say this because if the grill was painted in place then it would leave a unpainted witness line of the grill mesh pattern on a portion of the headlight bucket. If you take one apart it is typically painted completely grey behind the grill mesh. I have found on some but not all cars where you see a witness line of a slight shadow of gray mesh pattern which would only occur if the the bucket was already painted grey but then a second coat of grey was sprayed through the mesh. This picture could of course also be that the grill had been successfully positioned with out scratching the surrounding fiberglass and consequently didn't need the touch up second coat on the grill. The grill is ready for the install of grill bolts/ hardware,race track, fog lights and valance black out to be done prior to install on the car.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2020, 11:19:49 PM by Bob Gaines »
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2020, 06:16:38 AM »
Got to love the two wood tool boxes tossed/set on the air cleaner :)

In another photo you can see carpeting on the bottom of these tool boxes

Special Ed

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2020, 10:36:12 AM »
I recently color matched the unique 69 Shelby grey grill paint from a nos (leftover from the aosmith plant) stoneguard that was damaged but never installed and it isn't the 1970 dark argent grey instead its a previous ford color we found in color charts from the paint shop. I will be selling some cans shortly along with my 70 Shelby hood stripe 4 part stencil kit copy from an nos stencil out of the KK plant. The stoneguard ,grill, headlight rings were painted somehow not attached to fenders then after fenders were mounted and lined up the hheadlights and buckets and wire were installed then front splashshields and metal braces that bolt to fender wishbones. Then the stoneguard and grill were lined up and 6  bolts installed and then headlight rings install last with 6 black oxide screws. Every original paint car I inspected had paint scratch marks left in grey painted area above headlight buckets top side from when grill was installed after the headlight buckets were painted grey. There are oblong holes in grill top bar and headlight buckets for adjustments after fenders were installed so grey paint had to be under stoneguard and top grill bar areas otherwise different color would show up in the gaps after grill and stoneguard adjustments.