Author Topic: WTB 4 Speed Toploader that will survive over 750 real HP who can build it?  (Read 2518 times)

Kent

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
I want to build an oldschool 68 Fastback Drag Car and I want to use a 4 speed toploader for that project big in+out but I need somebody who can help me out with parts needed or a ready to go tranny. I think it will need faceplating and all the other nice stuff I know many years ago there were some on the market prepared for drag and road racing which were really reliable. But now I cant find anything, David Kee never replied and I have no other idea at the moment who I can ask.

p.s no i dont want a lenco, jerico, liberty etc. it must be a real 4 speed toploader.
SAAC Member from Germany and Owner of a unrestored 1967 Shelby GT500, 1968 1/2 Cobra Jetīs and some nice Mustang Fastbackīs 67/68

427heaven

• View Profile
Kent... I have a bit of experience with what you are looking for, because I have a vintage 428 CJ 1968 4 speed drag car. My car is about 200 HP off your HP ratings so this is what has worked for me in the past 20 years or so with my set up. It is the shock load of dropping the clutch and having a heavy car with VERY good traction that will break your parts. My car, is a car built using over 50 year old technology... Vintage slicks , vintage traction master traction bars etc. In most vintage setups there is enough slippage with the clutch and tires that you will never brake pieces with a small top loader or a Big top loader. If you are building a modern version drag car, with a 4 link and coil over set up, then you will probably need a specialty top loader. Sounds like a fun project.

Rickmustang

• SAAC Member
  • "What's behind you, doesn't matter"
    • View Profile
David Kee Toploaders will have the answer for you. Ask him about his Falcon race car. Rick
1965 G.T. 350
1967 Fairlane GT - 390 4-speed
1970 Mach 1 - 428CJ 4-speed/AC
1971 Mach 1 - 429CJ auto/AC
2005 Ford GT

The Going Thing

• View Profile
A ford T&C won't handle 750 HP. Especially under drag conditions. I've never dropped the clutch in first in my car and I'm about 188 HP off your figure. Check your PM. This may be helpful to your quest.  This exact query came up elsewhere about two weeks ago.

Kent

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
I heard that Dan Williams build some nice stuff also. As I said Davide Kee never replied. Maybe I take a GFR 101A
SAAC Member from Germany and Owner of a unrestored 1967 Shelby GT500, 1968 1/2 Cobra Jetīs and some nice Mustang Fastbackīs 67/68

gt350hr

• Randy Gillis in real life - 5353 original posts
    • View Profile
I want to build an oldschool 68 Fastback Drag Car and I want to use a 4 speed toploader for that project big in+out but I need somebody who can help me out with parts needed or a ready to go tranny. I think it will need faceplating and all the other nice stuff I know many years ago there were some on the market prepared for drag and road racing which were really reliable. But now I cant find anything, David Kee never replied and I have no other idea at the moment who I can ask.

p.s no i dont want a lenco, jerico, liberty etc. it must be a real 4 speed toploader.

Liberty gears in MI. The problem will be "spiral cracks" in the output shaft from torsional twist. Well that is what used to break in Dyno Don's Maverick using Doug Nash gears that were "pro shifted". I have the last surviving 9310 alloy  output shaft he had that wasn't broken.
     Randy
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

pbf777

• View Profile
It is the shock load of dropping the clutch and having a heavy car with VERY good traction that will break your parts. My car, is a car built using over 50 year old technology... Vintage slicks , vintage traction master traction bars etc. In most vintage setups there is enough slippage with the clutch and tires that you will never brake pieces with a small top loader or a Big top loader.

+1      :)

The Top-loader can handle the torque, just not perhaps the "hit"; which one should realize is not only hard on much of the drivetrain, but unless your underpowered needing the stored kinetic energy in the revolving components as the vehicle otherwise is stationary in order to put it into motion, generally hurts the performance also, as extra effort is required of the suspension.

Think in terms of lessening this "hit" by adopting lighter components in these revolving pieces, particularly the clutch and flywheel, and softening the lock-up of the clutch, via either or both of a less aggressive "bite" in the mechanism and or greater control in the release by the driver.   Generally ones' car will break less, and go faster!            ;)

Scott.

Kent

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: WTB 4 Speed Toploader that will survive over 750 real HP who can build it?
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2020, 06:22:11 AM »
Hello update my powerglide sucks like everytime so winter is coming and I want to go 4 speed

I think about the trannys
GFR 101A
Hightower 4 Speed
Liberty TKO600 5 speed

David Kee and Dan Williams never replied

my problem is that I want a tranny I can use on the street also when I convert the car back to street use in the next years. So it must shift with the clutch also, but if I can use it clutchless on the track it would be awesome.

gt350hr

• Randy Gillis in real life - 5353 original posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2020, 10:49:58 AM »
   You can use the clutch with a "clutchless" transmission , it's just noisey on shifting. Be careful of a transmission with straight cut gears as they whine terribly.
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

• SAAC Member
  • Fox Island, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2020, 11:03:12 AM »
I thought a TKO required extensive tunnel modifications?

Have you considered The Richmond Gear/Doug Nash 5-speed?

Kent

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2020, 01:47:30 PM »
Richmond/ Nash is to bad with parts here, I had the TKO600 in my 67 racer for the streets no problem to install that. Its really hard to find the right bang for the buck and that I can use it on the strip and street.

98SVT - was 06GT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2020, 04:04:43 PM »
My 700 hp 1987 GT1 Mustang had a toploader when it was built. It's not there now - I figure it broke. I'm going Jerico. Noisy more money but it will live.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

CSX 4133

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2020, 07:59:46 PM »

I went from a top loader to the G-Force built by Olthofff Racing, much faster shifting, far less linkage issues, lighter and can be had for less money.

• SAAC Member
  • Fox Island, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2020, 10:02:29 PM »

I went from a top loader to the G-Force built by Olthofff Racing, much faster shifting, far less linkage issues, lighter and can be had for less money.

https://www.gforcetransmissions.com/productoverview.asp