News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Paint OK stamp

Started by kram350, March 14, 2018, 09:32:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kram350

What would the correct "PAINT-OK" stamp and correct location? I have seen right side on cowl, but also have seen discussion on fenders. Yellow in color. April '66 car. Thanks

J_Speegle

Normally you would not find a stamping of "PAINT OK" on a car but instead a PAINT followed by an inspector number that identified a specific inspector so the managers could hold them responsible for problems or issues that were found (if they were) later.  Two different inspector stamps would normally be found on a Mustang since the uni-body was inspected on that line while the individual parts would be inspected at the end of that paint line.  Paint OK was given to a fill in person working that shift or for a few minutes while one of the regular inspectors was gone or busy.  You don't find many of these applied - have collected this data for almost 40 years.

Late in the production year we see a second, newer style of stamp introduced that carried into 67 production. A year that saw multiple styles used depending on period and inspector.  This second style in 66 was used along side the more typical one that other inspectors continued to use

Color of ink varied for the stamping though yellow was the most typically used. 

Typical location would be on the cowl (Inspector 6 for example)  while the fenders, headlight buckets and hood (deleted for a Shelby build) were inspected and marked by Inspect 3 for example.

Font is not one of the "stock" fonts your local stamp making company will carry.

Typically I bring a number of examples to each national conventions to help owners out since I would rather you get them applied correctly and that they look factory rather than have you try and make them up and only get sort of close.  Wrong ones just stand out to those who have seen originals ::)   Even have records of periods and inspectors marks from particular months and period to narrow down the possibilities. 

Hope this helps
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

kram350

J_Speegle

Sorry for the "book" just want to be complete especially since were rebuilding around here ;)
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Shelby_r_b

Outstanding - thanks as always, Jeff!
Nothing beats a classic!

GT350Lad

6S373
6S1276

texas swede

This is a scan from CARS magazine in 1965 showing the PAINT80 stamp
on the driver side fender lip at the bottom picture.
Texas Swede

mgreene

'66 GT-350H
'69 428SCJ Mach 1
'72 Pantera

J_Speegle

Quote from: mgreene on March 15, 2018, 02:13:45 PM
Here's an original stamp on my 1970 Boss 302:

Unfortunately that's a picture from 1970 and from a NJ car. Different practices, placement, stamp design, as well as how and when they were applied compared to 66 San Jose.

Currently my collection numbers a little over 700 examples in pictures - not including notes.details taken from original cars.

SFM6S1348

Here is an original stamp from 6S1348 original to the car under hood on the right side.
Build date appears to be in the later part of Feb. FYI

...found 6S1348 after a full year of searching. It was in a garage I passed every day on the way to work. I looked at cars in front yards, back yards, storage garages, in fields, and under trees. I found a 65 that had hit a tree and was bent all the way to the back...

J_Speegle

Quote from: SFM6S1348 on March 15, 2018, 03:13:52 PM
Here is an original stamp from 6S1348 original to the car under hood on the right side.

From a little further back showing a shot of the general area. That is the passenger side cowl. In the lower left that is the hood spring ;)

SFM6S1348

Jeff,
Thanks for showing the wider view I remember that photo.

Les 1348
...found 6S1348 after a full year of searching. It was in a garage I passed every day on the way to work. I looked at cars in front yards, back yards, storage garages, in fields, and under trees. I found a 65 that had hit a tree and was bent all the way to the back...

Brant

...and one from 6S1518 in the same location.

Here's one on the fender lip from the same car...stamped in blue! It's a bit difficult to make out.

-Brant

www.VirginiaClassicMustang.com

Subscribe to our Blog for the latest updates restoration projects and new parts information for 64 1/2-73 Mustangs!  http://blog.virginiaclassicmustang.com/

Like us on Facebook!  www.Facebook.com/VirginiaClassicMustang

J_Speegle

Quote from: Brant on March 16, 2018, 05:24:18 PM
...and one from 6S1518 in the same location.

Seems like Inspector 5 was right handed and preferred to apply his stamp vertically

More common IMHO to find them applied in line with the cowl but just goes to show you that workers had typically patterns each normally fell into on a regular basis

Thanks for another example to add to the pile Grant