Author Topic: Probably the cheapest entry into Shelby automobiles you can think of  (Read 3687 times)

TJinSA

• View Profile
Tom Kubler
6S296

98SVT - was 06GT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: Probably the cheapest entry into Shelby automobiles you can think of
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2020, 11:02:47 PM »
I want a GLHS
The car in the article was stock and created such a stink that CS tweaked another GLHS (different shocks & 50 more hp). He sent it to a Cobra Club Willow event. He wanted to hedge his bet against some of big hp GT350s.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

• 1967 gt500 since 82 NFS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2020, 01:18:24 AM »
Patina AND “resale red”?!?!?! Count me in!!!! :o

The Going Thing

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2020, 02:29:11 AM »
I remember a few rather fast GLH-S cars that had been re-worked. They weren't attractive but they ran.

68countrysedan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2020, 12:40:06 PM »
The forgotten ones

Roger that. We overlook the magic that Carroll worked with Chrysler's vehicle line up. And that was thanks to Lee Iacocca retaining him. I recall at a Hot Rod Drag Week, one Dodge Omni (I think) was running low 11 second quarter-mile times. As enthusiasts, they deserve our admiration.

mark p

• SAAC Member
  • south NJ - Philly 'burbs
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2020, 01:21:28 PM »
cool stuff.
I think that a de-badged GLHS would be pretty entertaining  8)
"I don't know what the world may need, but a V8 engine's a good start for me" (from Teen Angst by the band "Cracker")

66 Tiger / 65 Thunderbird

Chris Thauberger

• Gold is money. Everything else is credit.
    • View Profile
    • And how many words have I got to say? And how many times will it be this way? With your arms around the future And your back up against the past You're already falling It's calling you on to face the music And the song that is coming through You
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2020, 01:24:24 PM »
The forgotten ones

Roger that. We overlook the magic that Carroll worked with Chrysler's vehicle line up. And that was thanks to Lee Iacocca retaining him. I recall at a Hot Rod Drag Week, one Dodge Omni (I think) was running low 11 second quarter-mile times. As enthusiasts, they deserve our admiration.

Better get one now before the "public" gets wind of this and the prices soar to collector status...  :o

Only 500 produced...isn't their a registry???
« Last Edit: July 22, 2020, 01:27:36 PM by Chris Thauberger »
Life is 1% what happen to you and 99% how you react to it.

Video: Gold Concours GT500
Article: Pursuit of Gold

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
  • The original Influencer
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2020, 01:33:08 PM »
There is actually a good reason they are “forgotten”

68gtcoupe

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2020, 02:07:29 PM »
I can remember cruising Broad Street in Richmond, VA in my cousin's Shelby Charger back in the day.  It was actually a pretty cool car when it was new.  Can't remember the last time I saw one though. 

98SVT - was 06GT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2020, 03:22:41 PM »
cool stuff.
I think that a de-badged GLHS would be pretty entertaining  8)
Why debadge it? Nobody knows what they are. CS was doing some amazing things in Whittier. Sports Car Graphic had a Dodge project car that he did the suspension on. When it went back to Dodge I kept the wheels for my mini van. A while later I was at Whittier and he noticed the wheels - not too many mini vans running around on 16" BBS wheels in those days. He said the offset wasn't right on them and gave me another set he had laying around. I was delighted another set of Goodyear Gatorbacks to wear out on the grocery getter.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2020, 09:54:06 PM by 98SVT - was 06GT »
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

owenkelley

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2020, 03:25:11 PM »
I have an '87 GLHS. It fits nicely between my '67 GT500 and '07 GT500 - twenty year increments! I figure I'm probably the only person out there that has all three! ;D

The '87 is actually pretty fun to drive when it's running properly, unfortunately I haven't driven it in several years. It's tucked away in a storage unit. One of these days I'll get it out again. It has an "off road" computer in it that makes it run a bit better, but they are pretty cheaply built cars. The most rare car I won and the least valuable!

corbins

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2020, 05:28:36 PM »
I can remember cruising Broad Street in Richmond, VA in my cousin's Shelby Charger back in the day.  It was actually a pretty cool car when it was new.  Can't remember the last time I saw one though.

hey man, so what year was that?  I cruised the Q on both ends of the Blvd many nights back in the day.  Good times !

68gtcoupe

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2020, 07:12:27 PM »

hey man, so what year was that?  I cruised the Q on both ends of the Blvd many nights back in the day.  Good times !

So that would have been 1984-1985 time frame. Great times, I remember it well.

BGlover67

• SAAC Member
  • Formerly "My Shelby Dream"
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2020, 05:22:44 PM »
Who is the SAAC Registrar for these?  I nominate Richstang.
Thanks,
Brian R. Glover
SAAC Carolina's Northern Representative

Don Johnston

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2020, 05:59:01 PM »
I believe that Rick and Howard and others tried to help the Dodge Shelby owners set up a club and registry decades ago but it never matured or lasted.  The folks at Team Shelby have tried as well.  Obviously not enough survivor cars and volunteers to make it happen.   

The TS group does get occasional posts on their forum site from a few current owners. I am not sure that there are boxes of records that have been kept as there were at the original Shelby American.  Plus there there is no competition race record or list of workers that assembled the original cars, I believe.   Maybe someone knows more about the production information here.  8)