Author Topic: Newly purchased GT350 flawless 150 miles. Now sputters out every few miles.  (Read 19016 times)

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
I went trough 6 of the “new” reproduction coils. Finally gave up and cleaned and repainted my old crusty, nasty, crudy, beat up looking coil. Hasn’t missed a beat since. Before that I changed the carburetor twice, 4 sets of points and condensers, 8 sets of plugs, set of wires, cap and rotor, two sets of intake gaskets, check, compression, leak down, camshaft.
Car would run good one day, bad the next, fiddle with the crab, ran great, drive it 20 minutes, starting surging, popping back through the carb, running rough.
When I first put the car back on the road it wouldn’t start, the new coil was bad. I can’t belive how many of these coils I went through before going back to my old coil. Maynoy be concours,but it never has failed
I keep yellow top coils repainted and restamped for FOMOCO or Autolite date coded stamps for just such instances. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Tinface

• Only an intellectual could say something so stupid
    • View Profile
I went trough 6 of the “new” reproduction coils. Finally gave up and cleaned and repainted my old crusty, nasty, crudy, beat up looking coil. Hasn’t missed a beat since. Before that I changed the carburetor twice, 4 sets of points and condensers, 8 sets of plugs, set of wires, cap and rotor, two sets of intake gaskets, check, compression, leak down, camshaft.
Car would run good one day, bad the next, fiddle with the crab, ran great, drive it 20 minutes, starting surging, popping back through the carb, running rough.
When I first put the car back on the road it wouldn’t start, the new coil was bad. I can’t belive how many of these coils I went through before going back to my old coil. Maynoy be concours, but it never has failed

Wow. That’s amazing. How am I supposed to get this stuff figured out when wizards like you guys swap so much stuff like it’s just another day.

I was pretty good with cars growing up with a car guy dad who I worshiped and always had me at his side. I remember when I was 18 on my way to Mazatlan Mexico in my 65 Ford Econolice. I started coughing right as I almost summiteers the Grapevine on HWY 5. I diagnosed it as a coil failure ad hitch hiked to a Ford dealer purchasedca coil and hitched back. Installed the coil and on I went.

But I specialized at painting cars from 21 on then discovered college at 27 with all those pretty young girls everywhere. Good God was that not lost on me. I showed as much hospitality as possible to them and still got into Cal Berkeley. Wow, I never looked back until I was done with law school.

Now I open the hood of my GT350, pull the air cleaner off, and just stare at that beautiful engine. I don’t want to fuck it up and I don’t want to turn it over to someone else to do whatever they might do with my nice car when I leave it at their shop. What a conundrum.

I need a really good mechanic I can trust here in the San Francisco area.

There’s a couple guys but looking at the yelp photos, I just don’t know.

Does anyone have an ideas of a great shop I can entrust my car to in San Francisco or San
Jose, Fremont, or near by Palo Alto? Maybe I should bite the bullet and look somewhere else in the state or out of state. I hear there is an expert in San Diego.

Thanks guys for. Any ideas.

Mark

deathsled

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Replace the coil yourself as was suggested and see what happens. I had a similar problem and bought a new coil and the problem went away. I also replaced the little module in the Oertronix distributor.
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

• SAAC Member
  • Fox Island, WA
    • View Profile

Does anyone have an ideas of a great shop I can entrust my car to in San Francisco or San
Jose, Fremont, or near by Palo Alto? Maybe I should bite the bullet and look somewhere else in the state or out of state. I hear there is an expert in San Diego.

Mark

Mostly Mustangs in Oakland is owned by Jack Schroll and is an excellent place to use . Jack is a long time SAAC member and former owner of 6S001. He can make your car run like it should.

Jimbc123

• View Profile
Sent you a PM on a Bay Area mechanic. Good luck.

Jim

Doug C

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Tinface, please keep us posted when you have a resolution and you car is running correct.  Good luck

gt350hr

• Randy Gillis in real life - 5353 original posts
    • View Profile
  Jack would have had it fixed by now. 8)
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile

Wow. That’s amazing. How am I supposed to get this stuff figured out when wizards like you guys swap so much stuff like it’s just another day.

I was pretty good with cars growing up with a car guy dad who I worshiped and always had me at his side. I remember when I was 18 on my way to Mazatlan Mexico in my 65 Ford Econolice. I started coughing right as I almost summiteers the Grapevine on HWY 5. I diagnosed it as a coil failure ad hitch hiked to a Ford dealer purchasedca coil and hitched back. Installed the coil and on I went.

But I specialized at painting cars from 21 on then discovered college at 27 with all those pretty young girls everywhere. Good God was that not lost on me. I showed as much hospitality as possible to them and still got into Cal Berkeley. Wow, I never looked back until I was done with law school.

Now I open the hood of my GT350, pull the air cleaner off, and just stare at that beautiful engine. I don’t want to fuck it up and I don’t want to turn it over to someone else to do whatever they might do with my nice car when I leave it at their shop. What a conundrum.

I need a really good mechanic I can trust here in the San Francisco area.

There’s a couple guys but looking at the yelp photos, I just don’t know.

Mark

Dear Mark,

First and foremost, most of our time machines are close to or over 50 years old.

Looking at all the reccomendations made on a vehicle that is not  available physically, they are hitting the nail right on the head. It's lack of fuel or ignition.

Fuel, look at or test ;

All fuel lines from tank all the way up to the carb.

Look at the rubber lines first, then look at the metal lines for cracks or pin holes. This could cause air being sucked in and cause surging or loss of power.

Fuel pump going bad, will cause surging or loss of power.  Rebuild or replace.

Carburetor, rebuild or replace.

Ignition, look at or test;

Coil, distributor internals , wiring and are all the grounds in place

These are relatively simple machines, but it is very challenging to diagnose through a forum via posts or emails

Best wishes
Living RENT FREE in your minds...

Home of the Hertz Musketeers 

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.  It's jolted by every pebble on the road

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Life is short B happy

Steve McDonald Formally known as Mcdonas

• SAAC Member
  • “Drive it like you stole it”
    • View Profile
+1
Owned since 1971, now driven over 245,000 miles, makes me smile every time I drive it and it makes me feel 21 again.😎

Tinface

• View Profile
UPDATE:

03/24/2018 update on 6S2148 sputtering stalling issue:

To each of you kind, funny and amazingly gifted Shelby gentleman—I wanted to update you on how things have progressed with 6S2148’s issues as regards;steve to your help.

Like my dad would say “son, I earn $1.00 to hit this thing with a hammer; but I earn $49.00 to know when and where and how hard to hit it.” RIP Dad (Earl Samson 04/28/1932 to 09/28/1995)

—I studied each of the posts that you each made.

—I reread them, considered them, and reread them, again and again.

—I opened the hood, stared and the engine, closed the hood.

—Opened my Snap On tool box. Opened the drawers. Closed them.

I wanted to take the car to a mechanic but I didn’t want to entrust my car to someone I don’t really know. So it began:

I stated with the easy stuff:
—I checked the little hose at the gas tank for age: fine—looks new—wasn’t potentially restricting the gas.I traced the metal line from the tank hose to the front looking for kinks-it is fine.

—I then pulled the air cleaner off, and and decided to clean out the filter as suggested: interestingly—the larger nut on the carborator was loose—finger tight. Would that have caused this issue?

—I removed the filter from the carb and blew it out using my mouth instead of the compressor (I didn’t want to plug it in). Some dark looking viscous gas came out and went on thief loot before I could really evaluate it. So I blew through it several times and found it clear—very  clear.

—Then I reinstalled in on the car using white pipe tape on the fittings to make sure they were air tight.

The result: I filled it up with greasy gas again. Because the fuel gauge is not working, I wanted to make sure I had a full tank of freaks get gas.

—Around town there were no sputters, no dying. All okay.

Had the weather not looked like rain, and the clock not indicating Bay Area freeway parking lots instead of free flowing lanes of traffic—I would have taken her for a nice 65 m p h drive to see if those issues have been resolved, or not.

I am going to drive it on the freeway tomorrow— weather permitting—to see if the fuel filter, lose fuel filter-in-let-nut, or perhaps both, were contributing to, or causing in sum, the, problem.

I also am planing to install a fuel filter before the fuel pump as suggested. That will hopefully lengthen the longevity of the fuel pump.

I’ll save all the thank you until I make sure I’m not sitting off a road by the Bay, ” watching the tide toll away”...

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Mark,
that's the spirit, I have a non factory big metal gas filter just before my carbs. Once a year no matter how many mikes, it gets replaced on all our cars. I know it's not correct but it traps the majority of STUFF before it becomes a problem. Try to find non ethanol fuel and if you can't purchase non ethanol fuel, purchase any brand ethanol stabilizer.
Again wishing you great success
« Last Edit: March 24, 2018, 09:23:13 AM by FL SAAC TONY »

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.  It's jolted by every pebble on the road

I have all UNGOLD cars

Life is short B happy

Tinface

• View Profile
Mark,
that's the spirit, I have a non factory big metal gas filter just before my carbs. Once a year no matter how many mikes, it gets replaced on all our cars. I know it's not correct but it traps the majority of STUFF before it becomes a problem. Try to find non ethanol fuel and if you can't purchase non ethanol fuel, purchase any brand ethanol stabilizer.
Again wishing you great success

Wow. That’s a big help. Thank you for that. I’ll be looking for nonethenol gas or the stabilizer. And I might consider larger fuel filter.

Mark

mark p

• SAAC Member
  • south NJ - Philly 'burbs
    • View Profile
FWIW, we don't have non-ethanol stations near home... but for ALL "antique" cars it seems like a fuel treatment/stabilizer is the way to go. I put it in every tank.
"I don't know what the world may need, but a V8 engine's a good start for me" (from Teen Angst by the band "Cracker")

66 Tiger / 65 Thunderbird

Don Johnston

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Luckily I have Non-E gas station a mile from my home.  There are usually near any major marina or recreational dock facility for boaters.  This site might help:
https://www.pure-gas.org/

8)

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Luckily I have Non-E gas station a mile from my home.  There are usually near any major marina or recreational dock facility for boaters.  This site might help:
https://www.pure-gas.org/

8)

this website is a great source

I have all UNGOLD cars

Life is short B happy