News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Horse Placement on Grille

Started by kingchief, March 15, 2018, 08:20:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kingchief

In the old forum 1.0, there were some dimensions and photos of the placement of the horse on the grille.  There were also some mention of a RH horsie on grilles but the standard being the LH version.  Hey Cory, you provided some invaluable input that I would like to reference...with pictures.  Can you please repost for us tinkerers???

Thanks again,

Steve
SFM 6S406

SFM6S1348

Hi Steve,
I will share with you the running horse on 6S1348's Grill. My horse is located 3 1/4 inches tail to grill opening. The two mounting brackets are located between grill horizontal bars 3 and 4 (from top). The left facing mounting bracket is against the vertical grill bar.
as shown in the pictures.

Please note the top grill bar in image 1 is not bent as it appears. It is camera lens illusion.

Les

...found 6S1348 after a full year of searching. It was in a garage I passed every day on the way to work. I looked at cars in front yards, back yards, storage garages, in fields, and under trees. I found a 65 that had hit a tree and was bent all the way to the back...

papa scoops

anyone have the mounting clips? mine was a day 2 removal by theft. also, wasn,t the emblem 64 item? phred

J_Speegle

Quote from: papa scoops on March 15, 2018, 09:12:50 PM
anyone have the mounting clips? mine was a day 2 removal by theft. also, wasn,t the emblem 64 item? phred

Clips are available in reproduction form from most vendors

The engineering number on the back side is a C4ZB number where allot of the service replacements are C8 's with larger dia posts
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

kingchief

Thanks all.  GREAT info back on the site.

All the best,

Steve
SFM 6S406

Greg

For the historians....Just curious, do you think Shelby had a template and was accurate for each car in placement of things like this, the GT350 emblem and the Tach, or the person putting them on just got it in the general area and called it good?   
Shelby's and Fords from Day 1

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Greg on March 16, 2018, 11:38:39 AM
For the historians....Just curious, do you think Shelby had a template and was accurate for each car in placement of things like this, the GT350 emblem and the Tach, or the person putting them on just got it in the general area and called it good?
Good question . The rear GT350 emblems initially were free hand then a template was used so the tach and the horse may have had one as well . I think some minor variations can be expected even with a template.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

GT350Lad

Yeah some variations including even a few missing emblems  :D
6S373
6S1276

J_Speegle

Quote from: GT350Lad on March 16, 2018, 04:05:09 PM

But proving that can be a challenging  ::)

Don't want owners to consider the emblem optional  ;)
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Brant

Quote from: J_Speegle on March 15, 2018, 09:32:35 PM
Quote from: papa scoops on March 15, 2018, 09:12:50 PM

Clips are available in reproduction form from most vendors

The engineering number on the back side is a C4ZB number where allot of the service replacements are C8 's with larger dia posts

We have the clips.

To add to Jeff's information about the larger studs on the C8 service replacements, the C8 ones also had the stud on the tail located at a bit different place from the originals.

While the reproduction running horses don't have the exact original markings/numbers on the back side, they are super nice...at least the brand that I have is nice. There are some others out there.
-Brant

www.VirginiaClassicMustang.com

Subscribe to our Blog for the latest updates restoration projects and new parts information for 64 1/2-73 Mustangs!  http://blog.virginiaclassicmustang.com/

Like us on Facebook!  www.Facebook.com/VirginiaClassicMustang

GT350Lad

Quote from: J_Speegle on March 16, 2018, 05:07:43 PM
Quote from: GT350Lad on March 16, 2018, 04:05:09 PM

But proving that can be a challenging  ::)

Don't want owners to consider the emblem optional  ;)

Yeah, true we should all have emblems  ;D
6S373
6S1276

papa scoops

BADGES! I DON'T NEED NO STINKING BADGES! phred

Bob Gaines

The skinnier pins plus the C4 engineering number is quite visible when you look on the backside of the emblem with the hood open. It is one of the typical things we look for as concours judges because it is very common to be changed. It is always worth a written mention even if we don't deduct for it (depending on class).
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Brant

I just went out in the garage to see if I could capture a picture of what Bob is referring to. This is on 6S033.

-Brant

www.VirginiaClassicMustang.com

Subscribe to our Blog for the latest updates restoration projects and new parts information for 64 1/2-73 Mustangs!  http://blog.virginiaclassicmustang.com/

Like us on Facebook!  www.Facebook.com/VirginiaClassicMustang

6s1802

Christ, Something else to loose sleep over