News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Fresh find GT500KR

Started by bugnbox, July 24, 2020, 11:10:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bugnbox

Hey everybody! Newbie here with lots to learn. I recently pulled a GT500KR home from an Arizona estate where it's owner since 1970 had it stored. It's a solid car, but sun cooked, looks to be all original (for the most part) and I want to learn everything I can about it.

I ran the Marti report and it's a legitimate 500KR 4 speed , but I want to check the numbers on the engine and all the major components to make sure it's correct .

03330 is the number, it's in the Shelby Registry (a friend sent me a copy of the listing)

Where do I start?

Coralsnake

Start here:

www.thecoralsnake.com

Feel free to drop me an email

Coralsnake68@hotmail.com

FL SAAC

Congratulations!

I would get it stopping and running properly,  then enjoy it as is. Once done
take a step back  and decide what you really want out of this, what's going to make YOU happy.

Leave it as is, maybe spruce up the interior paint the exterior use it for a cruiser, go to McDonalds, cars coffee, local shows  etc.

Full rotisserie restore and keep it in your garage and look at it, take it out on a trailer to shows exhibitions for others enjoyment.

Up to you buddy!

Quote from: bugnbox on July 24, 2020, 11:10:58 AM
Hey everybody! Newbie here with lots to learn. I recently pulled a GT500KR home from an Arizona estate where it's owner since 1970 had it stored. It's a solid car, but sun cooked, looks to be all original (for the most part) and I want to learn everything I can about it.

I ran the Marti report and it's a legitimate 500KR 4 speed , but I want to check the numbers on the engine and all the major components to make sure it's correct .

03330 is the number, it's in the Shelby Registry (a friend sent me a copy of the listing)

Where do I start?
Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

bugnbox

Quote from: Coralsnake on July 24, 2020, 11:13:31 AM
Start here:

www.thecoralsnake.com

Feel free to drop me an email

Coralsnake68@hotmail.com

Thanks for the invite, I have already found some very useful info on your website.  One of the things I wish to do first is to make certain that the engine is original to the car. The Shelby registry notes that the engine was rebuilt at one point and I have a receipt in the file with the car that refers to this as well.  Ive not looked for the numbers on the engine itself yet, but the receipt shows some numbers...can anyone help decipher?

Scott Fuller

Carb is correct for automatic not 4-speed.  Should be an AA not AB.

Scott

FL SAAC

Block 1966-1970 428

Carb holley 4 barrel for auto

I have all UNGOLD cars

Coralsnake

You will want to look for a date code on the block.

This page is for the automatic version but the block casting date information is the same. The CJ 4spd is coming soon!

http://www.thecoralsnake.com/KRa

To me "remanufactured engine" likely means replacement, but lets look at the casting date.

TedS

Congratulations, let the adventure begin. Would love to see some more pictures. Please don't feel like you have to have it restored before you enjoy it some. There's one that makes the rounds  in my area that still has every ounce of barn "patina".

Rickmustang

Check out the 428 Cobra Jet registry. It has every CJ part identification that you need. Have fun!
1965 G.T. 350
1967 Fairlane GT - 390 4-speed
1970 Mach 1 - 428CJ 4-speed/AC
1971 Mach 1 - 429CJ auto/AC
2005 Ford GT

FL SAAC

Registry link

https://www.428cobrajet.com

Components link

https://www.428cobrajet.org/id-main

Quote from: Rickmustang on July 24, 2020, 01:39:47 PM
Check out the 428 Cobra Jet registry. It has every CJ part identification that you need. Have fun!

I have all UNGOLD cars

bugnbox

Coralsnake

Looks good! A few parts missing, but nice! Standing by to assist you when you need it

FL SAAC

Quote from: bugnbox on July 24, 2020, 05:21:59 PM
Here is an engine pic

For your missing parts like the snorkel  try these folks

https://semomustang.com/products/air-cleaner-snorkel-1968-shelby-gt-500kr-428-cobra-jet

Scott Drake

National Parts Depot

Or just Google it, it's all out there

Oh by the way I am not affiliated to any of the above parts houses, nor do I recieve any commisions, manufacture or sell any Ford parts.

Just a citizen,  thanks

I have all UNGOLD cars

Chris Thauberger

... or if you're looking for the correct replacement parts not the repo china stuff just ask. There's plenty of parts available from many of the members on this forum.

Life is 1% what happen to you and 99% how you react to it.

Video: Gold Concours GT500
Article: Pursuit of Gold

Royce Peterson

The exact same casting ID was used on every size FE (except the 427) so it could be a 352, a 390, a 410 or a 428. Casting numbers on FE blocks are generally useless except the date code next to the oil filter adapter. It may or may not be a 428CJ but hopefully it is.

You can find charts on the internet that say what FL SAAC said but they seem to have all copied the same incorrect information from earlier printed books.

At the end of the day you need the date code, the presence of a C scratch on the rear bulkhead, and a 4.13" bore size with a 1U crank to know for sure.

Quote from: FL SAAC on July 24, 2020, 12:47:10 PM
Block 1966-1970 428

Carb holley 4 barrel for auto
1968 Cougar XR-7 GT-E 427 Side Oiler C6 3.50 Detroit Locker
1968 1/2 Cougar XR-7 428CJ Ram Air C6 3.91 Traction Lock