News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Oil drain plug

Started by Greg, July 24, 2020, 09:16:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg

This is the plug that is in my cobra oil pan and I wondered if it is the original assembly line item?
Shelby's and Fords from Day 1

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Greg on July 24, 2020, 09:16:02 PM
This is the plug that is in my cobra oil pan and I wondered if it is the original assembly line item?
It looks like a replacement.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

J_Speegle

+1 Definitely a replacement/stand-in for the original

Looked but don't have a picture of an original handy and in the computer to post at the moment :(
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

OldGuy

The oil plug that you have is a replacement plug designed to "fix" a stripped out internal thread. The tapered shape with slots re taps the  stripped thread so that the plug can once again be tightened securely. At this point I don't believe that you can go back to a standard plug because the internal thread created by this plug is larger (diameter) than it was originally even though it has the same thread pitch as your original plug. A helicoil might be a possibility but I would re drill/tap the oil pan for a larger (thread) plug. I had to go this route on my pan many years ago.

I'm sure that you didn't want to hear what I just said.

Sorry

Frank

Greg

Quote from: OldGuy on July 25, 2020, 08:59:52 AM
The oil plug that you have is a replacement plug designed to "fix" a stripped out internal thread. The tapered shape with slots re taps the  stripped thread so that the plug can once again be tightened securely. At this point I don't believe that you can go back to a standard plug because the internal thread created by this plug is larger (diameter) than it was originally even though it has the same thread pitch as your original plug. A helicoil might be a possibility but I would re drill/tap the oil pan for a larger (thread) plug. I had to go this route on my pan many years ago.

Sorry

Frank

I would rather know the truth then to lie to myself...LOL.  Does anyone have an original plug they would be willing to part with?
Shelby's and Fords from Day 1

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Greg on July 25, 2020, 09:52:56 AM
Quote from: OldGuy on July 25, 2020, 08:59:52 AM

Sorry

Frank

I would rather know the truth then to lie to myself...LOL.  Does anyone have an original plug they would be willing to part with?
PM me if you can't come up with one.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby