News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

67 Shelby instrument cluster paint.

Started by V8Dave, July 26, 2020, 07:03:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

V8Dave

Hello everyone.
I am in the process of restoring a 67 instrument cluster( new bezel/bulbs/ diffusers/wiring/voltage regulator ect) the back of the instrument cluster is very clean and not rusty at all where all the wiring bulb holders attach and on the inside the white paint is good as well however I figure since I'm replacing everything what are your recommendations on blasting the instrument gauge backing plate (obviously all gauges removed) and what about replacing the white paint finish on the inside that the gauges all bolt to. What brand paint and finish is best I believe it's a flat white not gloss however I could be wrong and it may have of course changed slightly and aged with time.
Just wondered if anyone that's done this before may have some information or maybe best to just clean and leave alone?
Any help is appreciated. Many thanks everyone. Have a nice day and stay safe.
Dave

Coralsnake

I would clean the entire metal cluster, paint with a grey primer and use a gloss white on the front. I think the objective was to have some reflectivity. 

V8Dave

Thanks Pete for the reply.
What paint would you recommend for the inside white. What has worked best for you. Gloss white / enamel gloss white? Heat resistance gloss white then what brand/ krylon/ plastikote ect.
Thanks again for your information and time Pete.
All the best
Dave

Coralsnake

Enamel is fine, the brand shouldnt matter a whole lot. I think i found some glosse white appliance enamel the last time I did it. It doesnt get hot enough to effect the paint

V8Dave

Thanks Pete for the information and time much appreciated. The reason I asked about high temperature paint was due to I wasn't sure if with the illumination gauge bulbs on after awhile if they create a lot of heat. So thanks for the info. I believe I may have some enamel gloss white that they use on radiators and copper piping on house central heating system pipes and radiators that has good adhesion and long life and naturally a good shine being gloss that will work.
Thanks again Pete.
Stay safe. all the best.
Dave