News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

What are these ?

Started by 68krrrr, July 26, 2020, 02:22:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

68krrrr

Seems I don't have these and trying to figure out what these plates are i circled  ,do they help with cooling  ?, i see them on some cars & not on others ,was it an early  / late thing & do i need them  on #1724 ,if so where can i get them thanks
Current
1967 GT500 #1724
Nightmist Blue /Parchment
2005 Ford Gt Midnight blue
Porsche 911 Turbo 2007 Highly modified
1934 Ford Chopped & channeled

Previously owned
1968 GT500KR #03528 Lime green
1968 GT/CS

"Fly low & avoid the radar"
Thanks Adam

Coralsnake

1967 shelby outboard headlight mounting  brackets

68krrrr

Ok thanks Pete & that makes sense why i don't have them & i'm guessing that  means this car which i  found on Hemmings was converted to an inboard car.
Current
1967 GT500 #1724
Nightmist Blue /Parchment
2005 Ford Gt Midnight blue
Porsche 911 Turbo 2007 Highly modified
1934 Ford Chopped & channeled

Previously owned
1968 GT500KR #03528 Lime green
1968 GT/CS

"Fly low & avoid the radar"
Thanks Adam

Bob Gaines

Quote from: 68krrrr on July 26, 2020, 03:56:58 PM
Ok thanks Pete & that makes sense why i don't have them & i'm guessing that  means this car which found on Hemmings was converted to an inboard car.
It is common for owners to change out outboard headlights for inboards. Many like the look better. Some strongly defend the change (on a later car) as original. Although there were some outboard cars produced early the cars produced around the time your car was built(by vin) would typically have inboards. On a GT500 especially the outboards are advantageous for cooling. Cooling was one of the reasons for change along with minimum distance between headlight laws.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

shelbydoug

This is one of the strangest things I've personally ever seen  on what was probably a misrepresentation by a PO?

He didn't know enough to completely remove the evidence of the outboards? Yikes?

As previously stated, in particular on a GT500, you do not want to block the air flow to the radiator in the slightest.

Those cars are already so over the limit as far as running hot, you want to increase the air flow even just at idle. The outboards are the way to go for function.

I honestly don't know how the center lights on a GT500 were EVER tested as adequate out in the Arizona desert pre-production? Chuck were you just posing for pictures? Did you actually even ever drive the car in the 110 heat? Maybe you were delerious with the heat and it wan't your fault?

Just one of those "little" details that slipped by under pressure to get the car approved? Common? Make up a good story?  ::)
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

jguyer

When cars were brand new, cooling was the best it would ever be. So probably adequate at the time. I applied for a job at the Ford track in Arizona in 1965, rejected as I was only 17.

"Never trust a man that don't eat cornbread, or a woman that don't cook it"

Bob Gaines

Quote from: jguyer on July 27, 2020, 01:55:07 PM
When cars were brand new, cooling was the best it would ever be. So probably adequate at the time. I applied for a job at the Ford track in Arizona in 1965, rejected as I was only 17.

The headlights on the picture car are a good example of just because you can do something doesn't mean that you should. ;
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

jguyer

Nobody says, " I saw a '67 Shelby, but I didn't know if it was yours."
"Never trust a man that don't eat cornbread, or a woman that don't cook it"

csheff

wasn't that the experimental car Shelby used to see which way the headlights looked best?