Author Topic: Loud GT350 letting it rip!  (Read 2604 times)

silverton_ford

• SAAC Member
  • Been dreaming of a Shelby since I was 7.
    • View Profile
Loud GT350 letting it rip!
« on: July 26, 2020, 03:23:12 PM »
This video is contagious!  Time to go for a drive!!  I need to get some new exhaust too....    ;D

https://youtu.be/QhqSeZv8YIw

427heaven

• View Profile
Re: Loud GT350 letting it rip!
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2020, 04:00:02 PM »
Whats not to like about that... I like that a F-BOMB escaped the interviewers mouth at about 1200 in the clip. He couldnt help himself, he was both scared and excited at the same time. Over 50 years ago these cars were built to go fast and enjoyed while driving, now most let them stay in deep hibernation with deep concerns about how much it is worth VS the mash on the loud pedal and go for a putt. To each his own... I prefer getting out and burning some fossils.! :D

dmb496

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2020, 04:53:10 PM »
Those GT350's thrill me, love the sound.  My wife and I enjoy them at SAAC events when the 289's scream by us at 8,000 rpm during the vintage racing.

Do I open up my car on a public road...sometimes.  When there's no approaching traffic and any following traffic is far behind me.  I'll typically take out my roadster for a 25-40 mile drive.  Most of the time I'm lucky to find enough road with almost zero traffic that I can get through 2 to 3 gears at 7,000 rpm, once and occasionally twice during that drive.

But here's my take on the video.  Right foot to the floor and slamming gears while passing traffic in the adjacent lane is the wrong place and time.  It's dangerous and wholly inconsiderate.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2020, 04:56:07 PM by dmb496 »

The Going Thing

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2020, 05:06:06 PM »
I am going to take my car out for a ride. Inspirational to say the least!  Who would have thought  Frank Beard had a Shelby..  ;D

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2020, 05:27:39 PM »
Those GT350's thrill me, love the sound.  My wife and I enjoy them at SAAC events when the 289's scream by us at 8,000 rpm during the vintage racing.

Do I open up my car on a public road...sometimes.  When there's no approaching traffic and any following traffic is far behind me.  I'll typically take out my roadster for a 25-40 mile drive.  Most of the time I'm lucky to find enough road with almost zero traffic that I can get through 2 to 3 gears at 7,000 rpm, once and occasionally twice during that drive.

But here's my take on the video.  Right foot to the floor and slamming gears while passing traffic in the adjacent lane is the wrong place and time.  It's dangerous and wholly inconsiderate.

"Inconsiderate and dangerous".

About 1972, I got my first ride in a Cobra. It was Lee Weinstein's 289 and it was a Cobra Club meet at Mark Bucheim's place in Sparta, NJ.

I wasn't driving, I was a passenger. There were six Cobras in all "out for a cruise". We were on Rt15, and it was a divided, six lane roadway with cross streets and red lights.

Well. There was this one red light all stopped for. Three Cobras in the left lane. Three in the right. Two regular folks in the center.

When the light changed it was like this video, only with six Cobras. 5 289's. One 427. Now interesting how EVERYTHING in the car vibrates to the extent that it takes a few moments to focus, but one thing that I remember was how the old guy in the center lane, started screaming and shaking his fists at the MF's who had just turned him and his car into a spinning top.

Of course I don't condone that type of behavior but remember I was just a passenger ducking the flying rubber from the cars in front of us. Amazing how quickly they reach 100? A good thing that we didn't have to test the brakes like in the 0 to 100 to 0 test?

I'm not sure if it was that day, the first time I hit 7,200 in second gear but it was the first time I tested my brakes when a hay truck came rolling out in front of me to see what was going on with the Cobras in front of me.

I have T/A brakes on the car now but they can't stop Gomer Pyle from pulling in front of you in a hay truck?

Yea, "dangerous and inconsiderate". Sure was, but then again Cobra fever is infectious and like Milaria in the sense that you think that you are over it and out of nowhere you get a vicious attack?  ;)

It's also a VERY BAD IDEA to post a video of you and your car breaking the law on a public road for all to see. That's evidence and gonna' cost you a little. Here, they WILL confiscate the car. Probably your license too? Seems like everyone has a smart phone to video you in the act too? Big Brother is watching.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2020, 05:34:57 PM by shelbydoug »
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

dmb496

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2020, 05:53:43 PM »
I'm not sure if it was that day, the first time I hit 7,200 in second gear but it was the first time I tested my brakes when a hay truck came rolling out in front of me to see what was going on with the Cobras in front of me.

And...I'm reminded of an afternoon cruise I ONCE took with a neighbor; him in his Corvette, me in my pretend Cobra.  About 6-8 miles into the drive, he was WAY ahead of me because he was passing cars on a double yellow-lined 45 mph road.  Eventually he pulled over and waited on me.  He admonished me for driving so slowly.  I told him "I have the 'go fast' thing figured out, it's the high speed 'stopping' thing that has me concerned."

So we pulled away from the side of the road and again he started with the high speed driving on a 2-lane road, posted at 30 mph with connecting residential driveways every 500 feet.  We never cruised together again.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2020, 05:57:26 PM by dmb496 »

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2020, 06:00:00 PM »

And...I'm reminded of an afternoon cruise I ONCE took with a neighbor; him in his Corvette, me in my pretend Cobra.  About 6-8 miles into the drive, he was WAY ahead of me because he was passing cars on a double yellow-lined 45 mph road.  Eventually he pulled over and waited on me.  He admonished me for driving so slowly.  I told him I had the "...go fast thing figured out, it was the high speed stopping thing that had me concerned."

So we pulled away from the side of the road and again he started with the high speed driving on a 2-lane road, posted at 30 mph with connecting residential driveways every 500 feet.  We never cruised together again.

Ah! I have an advantage here. When I pull alongside a 'vette, I instantly become invisible. Ferrari's too although the owners of those cars tend to want to wash their windshields after you pass them. Strangest thing you will ever see?

You need to wear the darkest sun glasses that you can being in their vacinities. The glare off of their diamond pinky rings can be blinding.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2020, 08:50:59 PM by shelbydoug »
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

chris NOS

• SAAC Member
  • 5S241 actual owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2020, 06:03:44 PM »
that's cool video and cool Mustang , but this is a clone not a GT350 ...

Shelby_r_b

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2020, 07:38:16 PM »
...wow. Amazing car!  Thanks for sharing!
Nothing beats a classic!

Bigfoot

• Forum 1.0 posts: 8815
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2020, 08:56:27 AM »
Have a real 350 twice as loud.
What are mufflers?
RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2020, 09:37:14 AM »
that's cool video and cool Mustang , but this is a clone not a GT350 ...

Voght is the only one that I know of that drives a real one that hard. By the same token every time he passes me on the street, it's always over 100mph?

...something about those Jeep drivers...
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

427hunter

• SAAC Member
  • Caretaker of 1969 gt500 #602 and 1966 gt350 #853
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2020, 03:28:37 PM »
That's not a gt350 - looks like a fun mustang but why do so many need to pretend  ::)
“You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means”

Inigo Montoya

“This life’s hard, man, but it’s harder if you’re stupid”

Jackie Brown

2000 hours of my life stolen by 602 over three years

vtgt500

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2020, 08:43:53 AM »
Yawn.
Why I refuse to visit Calif.
Too many idiots.