News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

ENOUGH! Bill Kolb Jr recommended KR, SHELBY flat out lied! Does the truth matter

Started by dggilbert, July 26, 2020, 05:31:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dggilbert

During an amazing mecum auction I was reminded, after Bill Stephens read the tired old narrative that Carroll had his lawyer beat Chevy to the trademark office, the historical record is as phony as a 3 dollar bill, compliments of the snake oil salesman. Growing up at Tasca I only ever heard about the KR8, which my father built, being a Tasca creation. It wasn't until I read the Shelby version I realized it was all a lie! We all know the story of Shelby's lawyer running to the trademark office to beat Chevy to the punch and secure the "King of the Road" moniker, NEVER HAPPENED! Not only did Shelby not trademark it but neither did Chevy, Ford, or Tasca! Roger Miller was the first, go look for yourself. The infamous Bill Kolb Jr, a very good friend of the Tasca's, recommended the KR for the 1968 GT500 428 CJ powered Shelby not Carroll Shelby, who had much less influence at that point. In a letter from Shelby Auto Marketing, Ray Geddes thanks Bill Kolb Jr for his recent recommendations made at a marketing forum in Dearborn. A quote from Geddes "Many of the recommendations you made at the Mar 19, 1968 meeting have been passed on to senior management, including the GT350-500 series for at least the 69-70 model years. In accordance with your recommendations,  WE HAVE DESIGNATED THE 428CJ SHELBY GT AS THE GT500KR!! Can someone with more pull than I please check these facts and correct the narrative so the history of this amazing model can be truth not fiction?!?! This narrative is a complete falsehood with absolutely no basis in fact and needs to be corrected before all who can verify the truth are gone. Please don't shoot the messenger.

shelbydoug

Quote from: dggilbert on July 26, 2020, 05:31:44 PM
During an amazing mecum auction I was reminded, after Bill Stephens read the tired old narrative that Carroll had his lawyer beat Chevy to the trademark office, the historical record is as phony as a 3 dollar bill, compliments of the snake oil salesman. Growing up at Tasca I only ever heard about the KR8, which my father built, being a Tasca creation. It wasn't until I read the Shelby version I realized it was all a lie! We all know the story of Shelby's lawyer running to the trademark office to beat Chevy to the punch and secure the "King of the Road" moniker, NEVER HAPPENED! Not only did Shelby not trademark it but neither did Chevy, Ford, or Tasca! Roger Miller was the first, go look for yourself. The infamous Bill Kolb Jr, a very good friend of the Tasca's, recommended the KR for the 1968 GT500 428 CJ powered Shelby not Carroll Shelby, who had much less influence at that point. In a letter from Shelby Auto Marketing, Ray Geddes thanks Bill Kolb Jr for his recent recommendations made at a marketing forum in Dearborn. A quote from Geddes "Many of the recommendations you made at the Mar 19, 1968 meeting have been passed on to senior management, including the GT350-500 series for at least the 69-70 model years. In accordance with your recommendations,  WE HAVE DESIGNATED THE 428CJ SHELBY GT AS THE GT500KR!! Can someone with more pull than I please check these facts and correct the narrative so the history of this amazing model can be truth not fiction?!?! This narrative is a complete falsehood with absolutely no basis in fact and needs to be corrected before all who can verify the truth are gone. Please don't shoot the messenger.

Next you are going to tell me that the tale of the headless horseman is a fantasy too?

What a bummer. Do you go to kids parties and pop the balloons?  :o

Leave it be.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Bill

Instead of being part of the problem, be part of a successful solution.
HOW TO IDENTIFY A FORUM TROLL
https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=16401.0

Coralsnake

Unfortunately, there are many stories that are incomplete or just wrong. Those that have studied, know the truth. Others copy and paste.

See it everyday on this forum.   

427heaven

If your father built the first KR you can cherish that, and carry it with you for a lifetime. But as with most all of OL SHELS life, most of it is half truths to complete BULL SH.. How he got the Cobra name that came to him in a dream... to the GT 350 moniker came from the engine room was 350 feet from where they were standing. He had the gift of gab and we for the most part accept history with all the crossed up sideways dealings, the chicken rancher either said or did. It is all part of the SHELBY lore, and like BLACK BEARD the PIRATE that came before... Some of what history has said is true, the rest just fills in the story line of a man with a dream. (CS)  At this point in time most of those that were there in the beginning are gone, and their stories, just like the mens faces fade into the sunset. So if someone like wild Bill at the auction embelishes a bit on the story line I dont think most give it any 2nd thoughts. It just adds to the already wild ride that is our cars.

Chris Thauberger

Quote from: Coralsnake on July 26, 2020, 06:28:44 PM
Unfortunately, there are many stories that are incomplete or just wrong. Those that have studied, know the truth. Others copy and paste.

See it everyday on this forum.

AMEN
Life is 1% what happen to you and 99% how you react to it.

Video: Gold Concours GT500
Article: Pursuit of Gold

dggilbert

Sorry you consider my father's legacy and one of the most innovative and economical performance upgrades in automotive history popping balloons at the party. With regards to the 428CJ, on a scale of 1-10 Tasca was a 10 and Shelby a 1. Most period articles credit Tasca for the KR moniker that is undisputed to most outside this site. But I'll end with the only facts, Roger Miller first trademarked "King of the Road" on April 29,1969, not Shelby, Chevy, Ford or Tasca. In a letter dated May 28, 1968 Ray Geddes, Manager of Shelby Auto Marketing,  thanked Bill Kolb Jr for his KR recommendation on the end of GT500. For those who don't already know, between Larsen Ford(319 Shelbys) and Gotham Ford(479 Shebys) sold a total of 798 Shelby branded cars and was the reason he was invited to participate in a special Shelby marketing forum for Ford executives on Mar 19, 1968. Of course you all knew that, history is great and even better when it's accurate. What's next who cares about nos parts? Truth is truth, sorry about all the balloons.

shelbydoug

Quote from: dggilbert on July 26, 2020, 08:21:18 PM
Sorry you consider my father's legacy and one of the most innovative and economical performance upgrades in automotive history popping balloons at the party. With regards to the 428CJ, on a scale of 1-10 Tasca was a 10 and Shelby a 1. Most period articles credit Tasca for the KR moniker that is undisputed to most outside this site. But I'll end with the only facts, Roger Miller first trademarked "King of the Road" on April 29,1969, not Shelby, Chevy, Ford or Tasca. In a letter dated May 28, 1968 Ray Geddes, Manager of Shelby Auto Marketing,  thanked Bill Kolb Jr for his KR recommendation on the end of GT500. For those who don't already know, between Larsen Ford(319 Shelbys) and Gotham Ford(479 Shebys) sold a total of 798 Shelby branded cars and was the reason he was invited to participate in a special Shelby marketing forum for Ford executives on Mar 19, 1968. Of course you all knew that, history is great and even better when it's accurate. What's next who cares about nos parts? Truth is truth, sorry about all the balloons.

If you want to come here and start a fight with someone, it isn't me. If you are pissed off at the world, join the club but go beat up your wife or kick the dog and get the heck out of here.

Go write a complaint letter to the appropriate department. See if they care.

We don't need another sorry ass troll here.

68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Bob Gaines

Quote from: dggilbert on July 26, 2020, 08:21:18 PM
[color=red]Sorry you consider my father's legacy and one of the most innovative and economical performance upgrades in automotive history popping balloons at the party. [/color]With regards to the 428CJ, on a scale of 1-10 Tasca was a 10 and Shelby a 1. Most period articles credit Tasca for the KR moniker that is undisputed to most outside this site. But I'll end with the only facts, Roger Miller first trademarked "King of the Road" on April 29,1969, not Shelby, Chevy, Ford or Tasca. In a letter dated May 28, 1968 Ray Geddes, Manager of Shelby Auto Marketing,  thanked Bill Kolb Jr for his KR recommendation on the end of GT500. For those who don't already know, between Larsen Ford(319 Shelbys) and Gotham Ford(479 Shebys) sold a total of 798 Shelby branded cars and was the reason he was invited to participate in a special Shelby marketing forum for Ford executives on Mar 19, 1968. Of course you all knew that, history is great and even better when it's accurate. What's next who cares about nos parts? Truth is truth, sorry about all the balloons.
I think that you were ready for someone to shoot the messenger and when none did you carried on as if. After reading all of the posts including the one sarcastic one which was meant in jest in a positive way toward your narrative I don't see anyone saying disparaging remarks toward your farther ,Tasca or your narrative. On the contrary the posts seemed to be in agreement to the truth being stretched by Shelby. The majority of us have learned the CS history all to well. You have a great legacy to be proud of regardless of if the KR story gets sorted out in the future or not.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

68krrrr

Quote from: 427heaven on July 26, 2020, 07:11:13 PM
If your father built the first KR you can cherish that, and carry it with you for a lifetime. But as with most all of OL SHELS life, most of it is half truths to complete BULL SH.. How he got the Cobra name that came to him in a dream... to the GT 350 moniker came from the engine room was 350 feet from where they were standing. He had the gift of gab and we for the most part accept history with all the crossed up sideways dealings, the chicken rancher either said or did. It is all part of the SHELBY lore, and like BLACK BEARD the PIRATE that came before... Some of what history has said is true, the rest just fills in the story line of a man with a dream. (CS)  At this point in time most of those that were there in the beginning are gone, and their stories, just like the mens faces fade into the sunset. So if someone like wild Bill at the auction embelishes a bit on the story line I dont think most give it any 2nd thoughts. It just adds to the already wild ride that is our cars.

Perfectly said & just part of the history that we love & why were all here
Current
1967 GT500 #1724
Nightmist Blue /Parchment
2005 Ford Gt Midnight blue
Porsche 911 Turbo 2007 Highly modified
1934 Ford Chopped & channeled

Previously owned
1968 GT500KR #03528 Lime green
1968 GT/CS

"Fly low & avoid the radar"
Thanks Adam

trotrof1

What do you think a week or two with Elon Musk would be like? Probably make ole CS look like a choir boy.

TA Coupe

Let's lighten up things a little bit. Do any of you know the true meaning for the car GLHS? I know what Carroll told me when I was sitting with him at the SEMA show in Vegas in 1988 or 89.

Roy
If it starts it's streetable.
Overkill is just enough.

Coralsnake

Have to agree. On the whopper scale this probably doesnt make the top five of Shelby's fabrications.

I understand this is important to you, because your dad was involved. To most people its a footnote in a long sorted story.

Remember when Shelby "found" a bunch of "unbuilt" 427 Cobra chassis and "NOS" parts to build them? Funny how he had misplaced them until the point the prices had risen to (then) historical highs.

Mr Gaines correctly pointed out,  you're not going to get a fight here. But, you might get questions about your approach and style.

Maybe you should write your own book? Let us know if you need some help...

Royce Peterson

Carroll Shelby did the best he could with what he had. Everything about him and his business was about selling the story and getting results. In today's over scrutinized and humorless world it doesn't look as good as it did then. Rewriting his story to be politically correct is not going to save anything or improve anything.

Eat a bowl of Shelby's chili. It's good stuff. He made a ton of money with it and didn't invent anything.
1968 Cougar XR-7 GT-E 427 Side Oiler C6 3.50 Detroit Locker
1968 1/2 Cougar XR-7 428CJ Ram Air C6 3.91 Traction Lock