Author Topic: ENOUGH! Bill Kolb Jr recommended KR, SHELBY flat out lied! Does the truth matter  (Read 12431 times)

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
Stick a fork in it.Please
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

SBCARGUY

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
I stand corrected...

The whole post and topic have nothing to do with anything...

Supposedly "none of us care" but there are 5 pages and counting...   8)
« Last Edit: July 29, 2020, 05:25:50 PM by SBCARGUY »

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
Stick a fork in it.Please

Can’t we talk about something not decisive like religion or politics?

davez

• View Profile
How about cor... NOPE cant even complete the sentence.
Don't want to invite that in

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
It barely made the fence.  8)
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

TA Coupe

• View Profile
Sorry guys, didn't mean to stir up a hornet's nest, just add a little levity.

Roy
If it starts it's streetable.
Overkill is just enough.

owenkelley

• View Profile
   GLHS=POS , everyone ELSE can enjoy them as there will never be one in my driveway! LOL

POS is a bit harsh.....not everyone can afford a classic Shelby, and the GLHS did actually go through Shelby's shop in California for it's modifications. Does that make it more of a purebred Shelby product than a 68-70 Shelby?  ;)

Owen,
         I'm not dissing "you" personally , but I hear this all the time . IF "someone" REALLY wants to own a classic Shelby , they should make it a goal and really work towards realizing that goal. That's how "I" got through life. 46 years ago my Hertz car wasn't a "six figure" car and I DAMN sure wasn't making six figures , but "somehow" I managed to buy my second Shelby.
     The GLHS is still a POS IMHO. Harsh , NO , JMPO ( Just My Personal Opinion)
and others are welcome to disagree!
       Besides it has nothing to do with a KR.
   Randy

No personal offense taken. The Chrysler cars are what they are. They are a part of Shelby history like it or not, but believe me, I hold my '67 GT500 in much higher esteem! I don't consider my '07 GT500 a true Shelby product, it's a Ford with some stickers and badges, but it's still a fun car. Now if I had sent it to Shelby and had it Supersnaked I would have a different opinion. But for the young people just getting into the Shelby game, even if it is just a Chrysler Shelby, a GLHS may be the only way they can afford to have a true Shelby product. I have met many good Chrysler Shelby people at Shelby meets. I wouldn't want to make them feel unwanted or make them feel as though their cars don't count. They will never be as valuable or as sought after as the '60's Shelbys, but the owners should not be insulted because we like our Fords better.

And you're right! This has nothing to do with the original post! But then KR's aren't true Shelbys having been built by Ford.... ;)

« Last Edit: July 29, 2020, 11:35:57 PM by owenkelley »

Don Johnston

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Back to the OP topic.  We know that some years of "traditional information" was considered the correct information and repeated in book after book until a strong effort was made to make the change to the correct information.  For example, or years it was published that there were six original 66 GT350 convertibles made.  Finally, the changes have been made though there are still a few referring to the facts from to out dated material.

So is this what the OP would like to happen with the KR story?  Just wondering.   History rewrite or let the legend lie because it makes for a better story.  Not trying to stir up the hornets, just going back to the original discussion. 8)

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
+ 1 agreed

GLHS=POS , everyone ELSE can enjoy them as there will never be one in my driveway! LOL

POS is a bit harsh.....not everyone can afford a classic Shelby, and the GLHS did actually go through Shelby's shop in California for it's modifications. Does that make it more of a purebred Shelby product than a 68-70 Shelby?  ;)

Owen,
         I'm not dissing "you" personally , but I hear this all the time . IF "someone" REALLY wants to own a classic Shelby , they should make it a goal and really work towards realizing that goal. That's how "I" got through life. 46 years ago my Hertz car wasn't a "six figure" car and I DAMN sure wasn't making six figures , but "somehow" I managed to buy my second Shelby.
     The GLHS is still a POS IMHO. Harsh , NO , JMPO ( Just My Personal Opinion)
and others are welcome to disagree!
       Besides it has nothing to do with a KR.
   Randy

No personal offense taken. The Chrysler cars are what they are. They are a part of Shelby history like it or not, but believe me, I hold my '67 GT500 in much higher esteem! I don't consider my '07 GT500 a true Shelby product, it's a Ford with some stickers and badges, but it's still a fun car. Now if I had sent it to Shelby and had it Supersnaked I would have a different opinion. But for the young people just getting into the Shelby game, even if it is just a Chrysler Shelby, a GLHS may be the only way they can afford to have a true Shelby product. I have met many good Chrysler Shelby people at Shelby meets. I wouldn't want to make them feel unwanted or make them feel as though their cars don't count. They will never be as valuable or as sought after as the '60's Shelbys, but the owners should not be insulted because we like our Fords better.

And you're right! This has nothing to do with the original post! But then KR's aren't true Shelbys having been built by Ford.... ;)
Living RENT FREE in your minds...

Home of the Hertz Musketeers 

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.  It's jolted by every pebble on the road

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Life is short B happy

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
+ 1

Back to the OP topic.  We know that some years of "traditional information" was considered the correct information and repeated in book after book until a strong effort was made to make the change to the correct information.  For example, or years it was published that there were six original 66 GT350 convertibles made.  Finally, the changes have been made though there are still a few referring to the facts from to out dated material.

So is this what the OP would like to happen with the KR story?  Just wondering.   History rewrite or let the legend lie because it makes for a better story.  Not trying to stir up the hornets, just going back to the original discussion. 8)
Living RENT FREE in your minds...

Home of the Hertz Musketeers 

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.  It's jolted by every pebble on the road

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Life is short B happy

gt350hr

• Randy Gillis in real life - 5353 original posts
    • View Profile
   David feels he knows the REAL reason for the name association. ANYONE else who doesn't have a "first hand" account of how the name came about ( like he has) is regurgitating "lore" or what has been printed "forever".  "WE" ( who don't have that first hand info) should be respectful of that experience as it could be THE true information instead of lore. FACTS that support his information include the KR8 letters on the air cleaner of the Tasca '67 coupe , and the fact that the "lead time" at Hot Rod was usually 90 days on articles with pictures. ALL of this preceded the "public outcry" sent to FoMoCo "after" the magazine hit the news stands.

SAAC is known to be THE source for the most accurate and up to the minute information unlike the other hang outs full of sheep and ostrich. David's reaching out is the same as anyone of us would do with new found info. Passion is not a fault here.
    Randy
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

427heaven

• View Profile
Agreed ^^^^^^^ But in life, its often critical how things are brought to ones attention. You dont want to come on here and yell FIRE... When your holding a lighter in your hand.

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
   David feels he knows the REAL reason for the name association. ANYONE else who doesn't have a "first hand" account of how the name came about ( like he has) is regurgitating "lore" or what has been printed "forever".  "WE" ( who don't have that first hand info) should be respectful of that experience as it could be THE true information instead of lore. FACTS that support his information include the KR8 letters on the air cleaner of the Tasca '67 coupe , and the fact that the "lead time" at Hot Rod was usually 90 days on articles with pictures. ALL of this preceded the "public outcry" sent to FoMoCo "after" the magazine hit the news stands.

SAAC is known to be THE source for the most accurate and up to the minute information unlike the other hang outs full of sheep and ostrich. David's reaching out is the same as anyone of us would do with new found info. Passion is not a fault here.
    Randy

I am not SAAC nor are you. This forum is not SAAC. We are not a SAAC jury and none here are authorized to pass judgement.

A better venue would be to write an article describing the situation and what new information he has documented. I like investigative journalism articles.

I personally had nothing to do with naming the car and I am not guilty of anything to do with the name or believing or disbelieving past articles. Did I read them? Sure. Me bad.

If the OP feels he has a case, this forum is not a courtroom and should not be viewed as one.

It's going to help if he can get interviews with the people involved and pictures. Lots of pictures help.

As some like to say here, extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof.  I'm looking forward to the article(s).
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

gt350hr

• Randy Gillis in real life - 5353 original posts
    • View Profile
   Doug put yourself in his position. He is NO DIFFERENT than you when you "know" something rather than have a different "opinion" on something. YOU fight like hell too! I have seen you do it.  Remember "the earth is flat".
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
   Doug put yourself in his position. He is NO DIFFERENT than you when you "know" something rather than have a different "opinion" on something. YOU fight like hell too! I have seen you do it.  Remember "the earth is flat".

I have no objection to that but I'm not the one that needs to be convinced of anything.

Write an  article for the magazine. Kopec always wants new blood.

Flat Earth? Not here. There isn't anything here that is flat. Everything here is either up or down the hill. You must be talking about LA?

He is preaching to the choir here. I like counter revolutionaries. They're feisty!

I remember being in New Orleans at at Mardi Gra and walking around the corner to find a "Preacher" standing on a soap box preaching fire and brimstone.

He yelded down from the podium. "All you that want to go to Heaven, step over that line." Everyone in th crowd did but me.

This infuriated him and he screamed at me, "YOU THERE, WHEN YOU DIE DON'T YOU WANT TO GO TO HEAVEN?"

I said, "OH, WHEN I DIE, I thought you were taking a load up now?"  :o

You need to take "Preachers" with a grain of salt?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!