Author Topic: 289 Cobra T Pan  (Read 2457 times)

Jbrooks

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
289 Cobra T Pan
« on: July 30, 2020, 05:46:54 PM »
I have a 67 289 K Code that I’m finishing up a rebuild on. This is my first time that I have rebuilt this engine, but the oil volume is now in question. In the past (before engine rebuild), I would add 7.5 quarts of oil almost exactly, which showed to be full mark on my dipstick. I just primed the newly rebuilt engine with 7 quarts of oil, and the engine oil level on the dipstick (same one as before) is above the full line. I’m scratching my head on why this is different. For the guys that have a t pan (yes I know that it’s not period correct), how much oils do you add to your car? 

Thanks!
67 GT350 #2260
“If you ain’t first, you’re last”

greekz

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: 289 Cobra T Pan
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2020, 08:43:24 PM »
I add 7.5 quarts every oil and filter change.  The level reads just above full.
SFM 6S1134  '67 GT-350 #2339

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2020, 10:06:12 PM »
I have a 67 289 K Code that I’m finishing up a rebuild on. This is my first time that I have rebuilt this engine, but the oil volume is now in question. In the past (before engine rebuild), I would add 7.5 quarts of oil almost exactly, which showed to be full mark on my dipstick. I just primed the newly rebuilt engine with 7 quarts of oil, and the engine oil level on the dipstick (same one as before) is above the full line. I’m scratching my head on why this is different. For the guys that have a t pan (yes I know that it’s not period correct), how much oils do you add to your car? 

Thanks!
If you took the dipstick tube out that could change how the dipstick reads. As a example If the tube was not seated fully before 7.5 might show full .  If the dipstick tube is fully seated then the dipstick goes down further then if not and 7 quarts might show more then full. It doesn't take too much of a difference in height to effect a significant reading difference. I don't know how far you took the engine down but given your description alone the dipstick tube would be a logical possibility for your variation in reading using the same amount of oil.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2020, 12:47:30 PM by Bob Gaines »
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

pchmotoho

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2020, 10:16:12 PM »
Please correct me if I’m wrong but I always thought blue actual capacity was 7.0.
Yes, I know all literature said 7.5

For the record I put in 7.0 quarts (fully seated dipstick) and the reading shows just just below the last L
on full
« Last Edit: July 30, 2020, 10:25:51 PM by pchmotoho »

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2020, 10:24:42 PM »
Most already know this but for those just tuning in ,even though a Cobra marked T pan is shown in some GT350 illustration the typical 67 GT350 came with the regular Mustang sheet metal oil pan from the factory. 
« Last Edit: July 30, 2020, 11:12:40 PM by Bob Gaines »
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

greekz

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2020, 11:03:48 PM »
Please correct me if I’m wrong but I always thought blue actual capacity was 7.0.
Yes, I know all literature said 7.5

For the record I put in 7.0 quarts (fully seated dipstick) and the reading shows just just below the last L
on full

John, now I will need to check mine more closely.  Been running 7.5 in both cars for well over 20 years with no problems.
SFM 6S1134  '67 GT-350 #2339

s2ms

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • 6S1757 Info
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2020, 10:03:09 AM »
In my 66 I've always used 6.5 qts, oil level is past the FULL mark, between the 'U' and first "L". Level is right at the FULL mark with 6.0 qts.

We had several nice discussion about this topic on forum 1.0, now just dust in the wind...
Dave - 6S1757

roddster

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2020, 10:12:26 AM »
   Ah, but it is period correct.  You could go to the Ford dealer and either order one, or buy one out of  the Cobra Kit catalog.  You could't page through a car magazine in the 60's without running into a Cobra Kit ad.

With the dipstick tube fully in, I put in 6 1/2 quarts.

Jbrooks

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2020, 11:41:38 AM »
As always, thank you guys for the feedback!  The motor was primed yesterday with no leaks!  So I’ll drain a little oil and hopefully will be breaking in the new build here shortly. Fingers crossed
67 GT350 #2260
“If you ain’t first, you’re last”

oldcanuck

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2020, 10:59:01 PM »
I have an unmarked  T pan on mine. 

Exactly 7 quarts and I am halfway between Full and Add..... and that is exactly where I run it.

Bob
Knoxvegas, TN

gt350hr

• Randy Gillis in real life - 5353 original posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2020, 11:49:37 AM »
    The "T" pan should be filled with 7 quarts ( not counting the oil filter volume). The extra 1/2 quart does NOTHING except indicate full on the stick . You have PLENTY of oil at 7 quarts. There is no chance of starvation except in an all out road race situation. Running the oil level slightly lower keeps it further away from the crank and reduces windage. "IF" you are insistent that the oil level read full , use a tubing cutter and shorten the dipstick tube until it reads what you desire , OR re mark the dipstick itself.
    This information does not apply to the Cobra roadster pan.
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2020, 04:51:31 PM »
I like the idea of cutting the dipstick.Nice solution! ;)
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2020, 06:24:10 PM »
I like the idea of cutting the dipstick.Nice solution! ;)
The rolled lip of the dipstick tube should be flush with the casting of the timing cover. The dipstick(if correct one) should read accurately if that is the case (assuming the correct dipstick tube). Sometimes you can't get the dipstick tube to seat all the way down for whatever reason. In that case cutting the dipstick tube at the bottom to compensate for the difference is the solution. It is a interference fit and a small piece out of the tube makes no difference as to sealing and tightness. I had one recently that the dipstick would not seat because there was a burr in the timing cover dipstick hole that I discovered too late. I buggered up the dipstick tube trying to get that extra 1/8 down it needed to be fully flush. Not wanting to take the timing cover and possibly the oil pan off too for a repair of the hole I took the damaged dipstick tube out and replaced it with a undamaged different one. Before installing I cut the end with my chop saw by the amount I needed to seat the tube fully. I dressed the bottom so that the dipstick would slide smoothly in and out and now it reads as it should.  Guess what happens in concours if with my judges hat on I see one that is not seated all the way down as it supposed to be to read correctly from the factory?

s2ms

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • 6S1757 Info
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2020, 08:47:56 PM »
If I put 7 qts. in my T-pan it reads past the word 'FULL', so way overfilled. The oil level is at the full mark with 6.0 qts, as mentioned I typically use 6.5 qts which still reads a little past the full mark. The timing cover and dipstick tube are original, the rolled lip of the dipstick tube is flush with the casting of the timing cover, the dipstick is fully seated into the tube.

I have no reason to believe the dipstick is not original, dipstick total length is 22-9/16", length of the stick inserted fully into the tube (starting where the umbrella seats) is 19-1/2".  I have another SBF dipstick laying around with a C8OE engineering number that is a little different shape but has exactly the same measurements and oil level reads exactly the same on it.

Guess I need someone with an original to measure it so I can compare to mine and try to figure out why mine reads different than the posts here.

Thanks,
Dave 
Dave - 6S1757