Author Topic: ^69/70 white stripe kit  (Read 4613 times)

Bat-turn

• View Profile
    • rickyoungoutdoors
^69/70 white stripe kit
« on: July 31, 2020, 07:37:17 PM »
Howdy,

Any advice on where to buy a white stripe kit for a 70 GT500?  I'm hoping to find a reflective type perhaps 3M original material???  Last time I bought one for my car was in 1978 and I thought its time to repaint the ole gal... One more time ;)

Thank you
Rick

Shelbypat

• View Profile
Re: ^69/70 white stripe kit
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2020, 08:10:39 PM »
Branda performance would be a nice supplier...
For how long do you own your car  Rick ?
Patrick
« Last Edit: July 31, 2020, 08:20:01 PM by Shelbypat »

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2020, 09:38:22 PM »
Howdy,

Any advice on where to buy a white stripe kit for a 70 GT500?  I'm hoping to find a reflective type perhaps 3M original material???  Last time I bought one for my car was in 1978 and I thought its time to repaint the ole gal... One more time ;)

Thank you
Rick
The reproduction stripe kit that Branda sells is reflective and the material is sourced from 3M last time I checked.  The ones I am familiar with were copied using NOS stripe kits. The new repro is a brighter shade of white. The original is more of a off white in comparison . Blue is another color that is a slightly different shade now compared to original. Most do not notice a difference. It is hard to tell unless you have it side by side with a original paint car or NOS stripe kit. I can tell because I have studied them extensively over the many decades and tried to have the correct shade made up unsuccessfully long ago.  Original stripe kits were rare 20 years ago even more so now. Unfortunately even NOS stripe kits are typically not viable to install because the special adhesive made into the stripe backing has dried up. Various people over the years have tried to have it made up . First off the off white tint was considered a "undesirable effect by 3M"  . From my understanding the amount of material that would have to be purchased to justify 3M to R+D a comparable tint stripe material again would be so enormous that a vendor could never hope to sell enough stripe kits over many years to even break even on the initial investment let alone make a profit . The stripe kits that Branda sells are pretty much the only game in town. Fortunately it is typically a superior product.  I did hear that someone was able to wrangle enough blue material to have a few stripe kits made up a few years ago.I have not seen them to render a opinion. I have not heard the same story with the white however.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

TOBKOB

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2020, 09:47:56 AM »
I have a set of Nos stripes plus several pieces of other sets but when I restored my car I went with a Branda's stripe kit due to the uncertainty of the adhesive. They are a good reproduction.  :)

TOB
1969 GT350 owned since 1970

427hunter

• SAAC Member
  • Caretaker of 1969 gt500 #602 and 1966 gt350 #853
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2020, 11:37:47 AM »
Ditto on Branda, I compared the color of the new stripe to the door jam area of the original stripe and it was spot on.
“You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means”

Inigo Montoya

“This life’s hard, man, but it’s harder if you’re stupid”

Jackie Brown

2000 hours of my life stolen by 602 over three years

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2020, 11:44:17 AM »
Ditto on Branda, I compared the color of the new stripe to the door jam area of the original stripe and it was spot on.
Gold and black are spot on . Blue and white there is a slight difference with my judges hat on.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

69 GT350 Vert

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2020, 12:32:55 PM »
Some stripe kits I've seen on cars at shows recently have a large gap/space between the letter T and the number 3 or 5 on the front fender.  I'm not sure if original stripe kits had this extra space or not, but I don't care for it.

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2020, 12:43:20 PM »
Some stripe kits I've seen on cars at shows recently have a large gap/space between the letter T and the number 3 or 5 on the front fender.  I'm not sure if original stripe kits had this extra space or not, but I don't care for it.
I am not sure of what you have seen but here is a picture of a factory applied stripe and the space between the T and the 5 is as it should be.

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2020, 12:50:04 PM »
Another

427hunter

• SAAC Member
  • Caretaker of 1969 gt500 #602 and 1966 gt350 #853
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2020, 02:22:11 PM »
Gold and black are spot on . Blue and white there is a slight difference with my judges hat on.

I couldn't tell a difference between the two, but you are the judge.
“You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means”

Inigo Montoya

“This life’s hard, man, but it’s harder if you’re stupid”

Jackie Brown

2000 hours of my life stolen by 602 over three years

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2020, 02:35:00 PM »

I couldn't tell a difference between the two, but you are the judge.
Hey it is your car and if you like it that is what counts most . :)

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
  • The original Influencer
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2020, 03:01:39 PM »
Bob, I havent seen the jade car before. Which dealership?

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2020, 03:09:06 PM »
Bob, I havent seen the jade car before. Which dealership?
Bad Bobs Ford . ;)   Wishful thinking. Sorry I don't remember where I got it. The original off white stripe really compliments a black Jade color car IMHO compared to the brighter white repro.

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2020, 03:14:07 PM »
The repro brighter white stripe complements some colors better then the original off white stripe. Royal Maroon for instance.

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
  • The original Influencer
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2020, 03:26:55 PM »
Bob Ford in Michigan

Love the BSW tires!

Thank you