Author Topic: ^69/70 white stripe kit  (Read 4611 times)

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
Re: ^69/70 white stripe kit
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2020, 03:53:09 PM »
Bob Ford in Michigan

Love the BSW tires!

Thank you
+1. Many Shelby enthusiasts don't realized that typically the 69 Shelby's got the E 70 15 BSW tires if produced before the suspension changeover of late March 69. I think it was only the Hertz cars that got them after.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Bill

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2020, 04:00:34 PM »
Many Shelby enthusiasts don't realized that typically the 69 Shelby's got the E 70 15 BSW tires if produced before the suspension changeover of late March 69. I think it was only the Hertz cars that got them after.

Per Vinny, 1584 (March 31st build) came with both the KKX suspension update, and the E70X15 BSW tires. Of course it is the earliest known KKX suspension car, so that may have something to do with it.  ;)

Bill S.
Instead of being part of the problem, be part of a successful solution.
HOW TO IDENTIFY A FORUM TROLL
https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=16401.0

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2020, 04:05:22 PM »
Many Shelby enthusiasts don't realized that typically the 69 Shelby's got the E 70 15 BSW tires if produced before the suspension changeover of late March 69. I think it was only the Hertz cars that got them after.

Per Vinny, 1584 (March 31st build) came with both the KKX suspension update, and the E70X15 BSW tires. Of course it is the earliest known KKX suspension car, so that may have something to do with it.  ;)

Bill S.
If you notice I used the word "typically" to cover the occasional anomaly like you mention which is not typical .  ;)
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Bill

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2020, 04:08:32 PM »

Bill S.
If you notice I used the word "typically" to cover the occasional anomaly like you mention which is not typical .  ;)
;D
Instead of being part of the problem, be part of a successful solution.
HOW TO IDENTIFY A FORUM TROLL
https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=16401.0

69 GT350 Vert

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2020, 05:38:36 PM »
Some stripe kits I've seen on cars at shows recently have a large gap/space between the letter T and the number 3 or 5 on the front fender.  I'm not sure if original stripe kits had this extra space or not, but I don't care for it.
I am not sure of what you have seen but here is a picture of a factory applied stripe and the space between the T and the 5 is as it should be.

This is what I was talking about with an excessive gap.  This photo was from SAAC36 and was a judged car.  I've seen a few like this and thought it looked odd.

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
  • The original Influencer
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2020, 05:48:30 PM »
I agree that looks funny 😆

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2020, 06:24:23 PM »
Some stripe kits I've seen on cars at shows recently have a large gap/space between the letter T and the number 3 or 5 on the front fender.  I'm not sure if original stripe kits had this extra space or not, but I don't care for it.
I am not sure of what you have seen but here is a picture of a factory applied stripe and the space between the T and the 5 is as it should be.

This is what I was talking about with an excessive gap.  This photo was from SAAC36 and was a judged car.  I've seen a few like this and thought it looked odd.
Yipe's !!!!

427hunter

• SAAC Member
  • Caretaker of 1969 gt500 #602 and 1966 gt350 #853
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2020, 07:02:14 PM »
The branda white stripe is really very close - Bob are the ones you judged restored within the last few years?

“You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means”

Inigo Montoya

“This life’s hard, man, but it’s harder if you’re stupid”

Jackie Brown

2000 hours of my life stolen by 602 over three years

TOBKOB

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2020, 09:35:31 PM »
Here is an example of Branda's white stripes on #2060...The spacing looks spot on to me compared to originals... :)

TOB
1969 GT350 owned since 1970

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2020, 01:02:44 AM »
Here is an example of Branda's white stripes on #2060...The spacing looks spot on to me compared to originals... :)

TOB
Another color that the brighter white strips look better on the the original off white.

69 GT350 Vert

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2020, 10:55:00 AM »
I wish my car had white stripes.  I'm afraid the 40 year old lacquer paint would peel off with the stripes so I live with gold. 

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2020, 12:57:29 PM »
I wish my car had white stripes.  I'm afraid the 40 year old lacquer paint would peel off with the stripes so I live with gold.
I agree and it is my personal opinion that the white looks better then the gold on the candy apple red. Ford/Shelby never offered the white stripe as a regular production option only gold. Of course if one wants to personalize your car and get a chance to then go for it just do it with the understanding that the factory didn't do it that way. I don't think that the factory always made the best choices IMHO but my 2 cents doesn't change the historical facts.

Bat-turn

• View Profile
    • rickyoungoutdoors
« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2020, 11:49:18 AM »
Thank you all for jumping in on my question for a white stripe kit.  I was asked when I bought my car and it was in 1977 at 18 years old.  My first car was a 65 mustang (hooked) and there was a guy who said "Keep my cars running" and ill let you borrow them when you want....  Seriously he had 2 1970 GT500's a hard top and a convertible.  By buddy and I did just that, while still in High School we drove these care to school and played hooky in the fast lane. By the time we got to a ripe age of 19 the owner said these cars are for sale.  DONE! in 1979 I painted the car.  Its still nice but why not make it "wet" looking again ;)

As roommates renting this house you can see both of them parked in their stall..Circa 1978 lol I added a photo of Carroll sitting my car 1981, prior to it being popular Carroll asked me "can I sign you car?" While leaning over the car to sign the air cleaner he broke the fiberglass fan shroud. He looked at me and said "you know how to fix that right?" well worth fixing just for the story and all the photos of that day.

Ill pick up the new stripe kit, I agree a tad whiter will still pop on a Royal Maroon car

KerryBWhite

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2020, 12:00:47 PM »
Great pictures
Do you dare tell the story about the 3 half barrels in the garage pic 8)

Bat-turn

• View Profile
    • rickyoungoutdoors
« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2020, 12:23:58 PM »
Hahah you know that was not staged but does make a great conversation.  We had just had a party at the paint shop with a live band and went through 10 Kegs.  I'll never forget because we called the cops on our self to break up the event.  It blew up on us and the beer was gone in 2 hours.  I kid you not.

I just ordered the stripe kit YAY....