News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Borg Warner T10, Sebring “M” 1966 and 1965 GT350

Started by Craner, August 01, 2020, 07:28:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Craner

Information in a 1995 parts book published by Robert Lane that listed both the 65 and 66 GT350 transmission tag#s
1965: HEK-R or HEK-V
1966: HEK-AD
The application information says:
289k (engine)
Warner four speed, includes GT350
We all know the gears are different for the GT350.

I've seen other publications that don't include any information on transmission  tag #s

Is this information correct?
What is the significance of this designation?
  - just describing the basic transmission other than the high nickel gear sets?
        - case, tail shaft, main shaft tooth count, lengths?
I like to under this designation if anyone has a detailed understanding of the BW & Ford numbering for the GT350 Sebring Transmission.
Thanks
Fran

gt350hr

Fran,
     None of the '65-66 BW transmissions had tags on them.  Tags were used for service purposes. The master parts catalog had these reference numbers in it and a complete listing of the specific parts used to build it. I'll check my MPC tonight.
      "I" have never seen the reference numbers , but knowing how Ford's system worked , it makes perfect sense. "In the  day" they were referred to as "DSO" transmissions ( Domestic Special Order).
      Randy
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

Craner

Thank you Randy.
I would be interested in validating that my Shelby parts tranny has the correct main shaft.
I believe the Warner Gear book defines this as a Mustang Special 8-289.  23 13/16" OA S32-37-28 Spl. But I'm really not sure. Any input is appreciated, so I can sort out this parts  tranny...

I know that the Main Drive Gear (4th) is 8 15/16" long (26 tooth)
Fran

pbf777

QuoteNone of the '65-66 BW transmissions had tags on them.       

Robert Lane was an employee with us back in the eighties; if I recall correctly the information for the "parts book" was garnered greatly from an apparently large sum of paper work acquired by his grandfather (?) who had worked for Ford Motor Co. for a period of time, and with some further research of Ford Archives, which perhaps some doors were made open due to the relationship.

This statement suggests that the tag number information presented was not established via physical observation of existent examples, but rather perhaps the proper within Ford Motor Co. intentions of tag identifications, that if they had been done, would have read such.  It would seem Ford apparently allocated the effort to to create the outline for what was to be executed, but apparently it just never happened.         ???

If Roberts' information is accurate, even if tags never did exist, it's still an interesting factoid,.............. for those who care anyway.            ::)       

Scott.

kingchief

Pictures posted here might be of assistance to experts participating on this forum.

All the best,

Steve
SFM 6S406

texas swede

These four pages from a BW catalog may be of interest for some of you.
Texas Swede

gt350hr

Scott,
        I understand completely . However the information leads one to believe that a tag should be on the transmission which is NOT the case. BW transmissions supplied to SAI did not have a FoMoCo tag on them. In fact , the "service parts" only showed up in the MPC in '68 after the "absorption" of SAI into Ford.
   Randy
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

Craner

This information is quite helpful and validates the information I've collected. 
Thank you so much everyone!