Author Topic: To Paint Original Lime Gold or non Orginal Nightmist Blue  (Read 22839 times)

• SAAC Member
  • Fox Island, WA
    • View Profile
Re: To Paint Original Lime Gold or non Orginal Nightmist Blue
« Reply #120 on: November 22, 2020, 12:25:46 PM »

Fast forward.... yesterday I stopped at a fellow members new garage..... (BTW Fran, breathtaking !) and he has a Boss 302 in Lime Gold. Obviously painted with modern 2 stage paint and clear coat...... WOW did it look good.

Now my head is messing with me..... and it didn't help that my wife saw it too .....

Fresh Lime Gold in 2-stage is truly on a different plane compared to old single stage enamel.

• View Profile
« Reply #121 on: November 22, 2020, 04:07:21 PM »
Stick with the color it was born with.  You will never regret that decision.

Jon

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: November 22, 2020, 06:32:16 PM »
It isn't easy being green.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPvZR6DTbq8

It depends on your point of view I suppose?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

67 GT350

• View Profile
« Reply #123 on: November 22, 2020, 07:30:50 PM »
When I bought my GT350, it had been color changed to Raven Black by the PO in about 2009 and I had full intentions on taking it back to Lime Gold since the car is all original sheet metal being it had been in the panhandle of FL and So Cal all it's life. I have lived with it because it was done so very well.

Fast forward.... yesterday I stopped at a fellow members new garage..... (BTW Fran, breathtaking !) and he has a Boss 302 in Lime Gold. Obviously painted with modern 2 stage paint and clear coat...... WOW did it look good.

Now my head is messing with me..... and it didn't help that my wife saw it too .....

Thank you Bob, it was nice meeting you and your wife!!! Your car looks fantastic, I know this topic is a hard one....BTW when you left, I got to say, your car sounds fantastic!!! Us Knoxville guys and gals will soon have to get together....I wonder how many of us are in this area?
RARE  Signature Delete

427heaven

• View Profile
« Reply #124 on: November 22, 2020, 07:55:55 PM »
I will stick with the there is no good answer to that question. Its like when your significant other asks - Does this outfit make me look fat? :-[ Chances are it probably does... How you answer the question is what you have to live with. The good news is its yours do what makes you happy.

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: November 22, 2020, 08:38:05 PM »
I will stick with the there is no good answer to that question. Its like when your significant other asks - Does this outfit make me look fat? :-[ Chances are it probably does... How you answer the question is what you have to live with. The good news is its yours do what makes you happy.

Well you are getting to the point...it's in the eyes of the beholder.

I too have seen Lime in modern two stage and it jumps at you with fantastic depth and IS SPECTACULAR.

Do you see the glass as half fat or half empty?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

427hunter

• SAAC Member
  • Caretaker of 1969 gt500 #602 and 1966 gt350 #853
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: November 22, 2020, 09:19:28 PM »
Lime gold Shelby lives matter ! oh uh well something like that, make it electric, wait sell it and give the money to UNCF, burn it, oh wait global warming. This is the vibe I am getting..
“You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means”

Inigo Montoya

“This life’s hard, man, but it’s harder if you’re stupid”

Jackie Brown

2000 hours of my life stolen by 602 over three years

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: November 24, 2020, 07:59:59 AM »
Lime gold Shelby lives matter ! oh uh well something like that, make it electric, wait sell it and give the money to UNCF, burn it, oh wait global warming. This is the vibe I am getting..

Nightmist blue originally had the same issues as lime in the original system. The depth and life of the finish soon died in daily use.

Many of those were also repainted other colors.

I would stay with the original color.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

jim mac

• View Profile
« Reply #128 on: December 04, 2020, 09:57:00 PM »

Fresh Lime Gold in 2-stage is truly on a different plane compared to old single stage enamel.

Agreed, looks great.
"If things seem under control, you're just not going fast enough" - Mario Andretti

QuickSilverShelby

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: December 05, 2020, 09:19:12 PM »
It sounds like you love Nightmist Blue so you have to paint it that color.  If you paint it Lime Gold all you'll do is think "I whish I would have painted it Nightmist Blue".  If you paint it Nightmist Blue I guarantee you'll never say "I wish I woulda have painted it Lime Gold". 

You have to go with Nightmist Blue.  It's an incredible color and who gives a sh!t about originality.  It's you car, do what you want.

I'm pretty sure when you're at you at your days end, your not gonna really care if your car has its original color on it or not.

NIGHTMIST BLUE!!!

QSS
You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.

shelbyluva

• View Profile
« Reply #130 on: December 05, 2020, 11:11:24 PM »
My ‘67 GT500 was red when I got it. I strongly considered going white during restoration, and instead went with lime. I love it and am sure that I would have repainted it to that by now had I chosen the non-original white 20 years back.

427heaven

• View Profile
« Reply #131 on: December 06, 2020, 08:33:35 AM »
Many people struggle with decision making processes in their lives, painting a car or eating a meal... its a struggle.  You know the type, pre covid 19 you might be out to dinner and you look over to the booth across from you and a guy asks his wife ... Should I have a Cheeseburger or a Steak? :-[ Why ask others what you like. Only you know what you like! Takes all types to make the world go round. Nightmist, Lime green, even Pink with Purple polka dots have a place to some people. If we all liked the same thing life would be ooh so boring. A little of this and a little of that is what keeps car shows interesting. Do as you please, you have to enjoy it everyday.

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: December 06, 2020, 08:44:44 AM »
+1 correct

Many people struggle with decision making processes in their lives, painting a car or eating a meal... its a struggle.  You know the type, pre covid 19 you might be out to dinner and you look over to the booth across from you and a guy asks his wife ... Should I have a Cheeseburger or a Steak? :-[ Why ask others what you like. Only you know what you like! Takes all types to make the world go round. Nightmist, Lime green, even Pink with Purple polka dots have a place to some people. If we all liked the same thing life would be ooh so boring. A little of this and a little of that is what keeps car shows interesting. Do as you please, you have to enjoy it everyday.
Living RENT FREE in your minds...

Home of the Hertz Musketeers 

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.  It's jolted by every pebble on the road

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Life is short B happy

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: December 06, 2020, 08:45:24 AM »
Ask no questions, just pull the trigger
Living RENT FREE in your minds...

Home of the Hertz Musketeers 

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.  It's jolted by every pebble on the road

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Life is short B happy

bobg

• SAAC Member
  • CAR 31
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: December 06, 2020, 11:13:19 AM »

Its only original once. You can repaint it like original but the paint is not original and doesn't look original. My car came sunlit gold but was repainted blue. I went back to gold but put lemans stripes on it so it wouldn't look so plain. Just love it. Its nice to keep with original color but its not original. Go back or forward but don't get to hung up on the original thing. You can make it look like original but its only original once.