Author Topic: To Paint Original Lime Gold or non Orginal Nightmist Blue  (Read 22827 times)

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
  • The original Influencer
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
Re: To Paint Original Lime Gold or non Orginal Nightmist Blue
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2020, 08:58:54 PM »
Come on, we know who the others are. Green cars now painted blue.

Fess up!

🤪
« Last Edit: August 03, 2020, 09:05:45 PM by Coralsnake »

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2020, 09:07:22 PM »
You ole pot stirrers.  ::)
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2020, 09:12:17 PM »
By reading your notes it's an easy decision

Green or blue?

Want original ? go green

Want to be happy ? go blue

I'm in the process of tearing down my 67 GT350. This car is currently Acapulco blue; the original color of the car is lime gold green. I'm really torn about picking the paint color....not a fan of lime gold, I really like Nightmist Blue.

Do you think it would be a huge mistake to not go back to the original color? I love originality but not Lime Gold.  This car will never be a museum piece while I own it but I do want it to be at least a period correct driver that I enjoy looking at and driving. The car is missing a lot of original pieces and has/will have sheet metal replaced...the level or lack of originality makes me feel less inclined to worry about going back to original paint color.

I know some will say... my car, my decision but for discussion  what are some opinions?
Living RENT FREE in your minds...

Home of the Hertz Musketeers 

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.  It's jolted by every pebble on the road

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Life is short B happy

rbarkley

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2020, 09:55:45 PM »
Go with the blue and be happy. If you ever sell it, the new owner can proudly take it back to the original color. Of course, I am partial to Nightmist blue!
Ron

98SVT - was 06GT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2020, 11:28:32 PM »
Let's start with I hate lime gold. I had a 68 XR7 Cougar that color and never liked it.
If you are going to restore your car to be a show/garage queen then by all means go lime gold.
If you are going to drive and show your car casually then paint it the color you like.
Don't worry about resale. The next buyer will also probably restore it to a higher level so it'll need to be painted anyway.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

owenkelley

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2020, 11:55:59 PM »
I like lime Gold on '68's because they have a lot of chrome to brighten the car up. In my opinion Lime Gold does not look nearly as good on '67's because they are more basic looking cars. There are so many great colors out there today, go with a color that you are going to be happy looking at, especially if your intention is to keep the car a long time. Hell, paint it Gulfstream Aqua! The most beautiful color of all Shelby colors and it would probably be the only one!

JWH

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2020, 12:03:01 AM »
To me, it depends when you plan to sell it. If this is a fix-and-flip project, then I would stick with the Lime no question. If this is going to be a car you keep for 15, 20, 30 years, then paint it Nightmist. OwenKelley makes a great point, in 15 years, the next person who buys the car will need to repaint it anyway.  Full disclosure, I looked for years to find my Nightmist/parchment '67, personally my very favorite colors. Good luck with you decision.
Jeff

S7MS427

• View Profile
    • S-Tech Enterprises, LLC
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2020, 12:23:27 AM »
My car is a color change from Lime Gold to Nightmist Blue.  I swear that if it had originally been any other color I'd have gone with that.  But I liked blue since I first saw it on a Cobra.  I decided then and there that blue with white stripes was for me and that a '67 G.T.500 would be my forever car.  Now almost 43 years later, I feel the same way.  So paint the car Nightmist and be happy.  I know I've never regretted my choice.
Roy Simkins
http://www.S-TechEnt.com/Shelby.htm
1966 G.T.350H SFM6S817
1967 G.T.500 67400F7A03040

• SAAC Member
  • Fox Island, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2020, 01:52:46 AM »

Interesting to note...there was a thread on this site mentioning the difference in value of a Lime Gold car vice a blue or red car and that the difference was significant...so maybe in the end it's a wash. Current mindset is that it's my forever car.... but you never know.

Solid logic

68GT350roadracer

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2020, 07:02:16 AM »
If I was buying I would pay more if it was blue, even if it was green originally. Would keep me from having to pay to repaint.

Chris Thauberger

• Gold is money. Everything else is credit.
    • View Profile
    • And how many words have I got to say? And how many times will it be this way? With your arms around the future And your back up against the past You're already falling It's calling you on to face the music And the song that is coming through You
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2020, 07:59:34 AM »
What if it was originally a red car, or a white car, would the conversation be the same?
Life is 1% what happen to you and 99% how you react to it.

Video: Gold Concours GT500
Article: Pursuit of Gold

texas swede

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2020, 08:01:48 AM »
I bought #1317, Lime Green in 1977 and repainted it red with white Le Mans stripes in 1978.
Was happy with the change for many years but regretted it later on. Today I would keep it the original color.
Texas Swede

67 GT350

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2020, 08:21:26 AM »
I am guilty of a color change on my first Shelby, (Lime Gold), I changed it to Alcapco Blue. Today, I just would not buy a car unless it was a color on my list. Today I have a Moss Green car and it has a nice sporty look, although not my color oc choice. I guess what I dont care for with this car is it is a auto with air, Looking back I would rather neither of those options.
I did have a factory Nightmist Blue Shelby that I was thinking of buying back a few years ago, but the owner would not return any calls or emails from me, being that I know the car well, I wanted to know a few things before I bid on it, so I passed. That color, along with white, and red, would be my choices.
I know the Shelby police are out there and they can be very nasty, I have heard them talking even at local cars shows, when they do not like something, they let everyone at that show know about it. If you are doing your own thing, like I do, meaning, drive it, look at it, maybe going to a get-together with car people who just don't care or know, I think it is cool. Just enjoy it the way you want it. What is value anyway? Or should the question be, What is being happy to own a car that others cannot or don't care about these days?
My feelings are, be done with that, enjoy it!
RARE  Signature Delete

Greg

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2020, 08:38:31 AM »
Like others have said, it's your car and you should do what you want. 

Well....That sounds all good but be prepared to get told, "that's not the original color", "why would you do that to a Shelby, and hurt its value" ...etc....".   You will also be frustrated that you spent good money on a non original color if you do ever decide to take it to the next level not to mention a resale value hit (none of us know what tomorrow will bring even if you intend to keep it till you push up daisies).  Remember the cost of painting is in preparation and materials not the labor to actually lay the paint. 

What I would do, paint it the original color and if I didn't like it, sale or trade it for one that I did.  The reason, paint is expensive and any reputable paint and body person on a perfect car, no metal repairs required will charge you at least $8-10K. 

If your buddy down the street is going to paint it for a case of beer, then go for any color you want because the paint will come off in a few years anyway.   My two cents.....
« Last Edit: August 04, 2020, 08:44:07 AM by Greg »
Shelby's and Fords from Day 1

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
  • The original Influencer
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2020, 08:56:47 AM »
What if it was originally a red car, or a white car, would the conversation be the same?

I actually know of a red 1968 KR that was changed to Lime Green.