Author Topic: To Paint Original Lime Gold or non Orginal Nightmist Blue  (Read 22832 times)

shelbyhertz66

• View Profile
Re: To Paint Original Lime Gold or non Orginal Nightmist Blue
« Reply #30 on: August 04, 2020, 09:16:18 AM »
I see nothing wrong with a color change if you don't like the original
color regardless of what it was , although I would stick with a color
that was originally available for Shelby's in 1967.  My 67 was originally
lime gold as well when I bought it in the color of Brittany blue.  It was done
well and completely along with being supposedly a more desirable color.
Unless a spectator at a car show has a registry with them they would never know.
I believe the value may be higher in this case than if it was original.
It's your car do what you like and just take the point deduction and the
next owner can change it back if they like.

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
  • The original Influencer
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #31 on: August 04, 2020, 09:40:21 AM »
If you change the color, you are essentially eliminating yourself from having the car successfully compete in a concours venue.

Since 99% of people will never enter a concours event, its not really a consideration.

Paint the car the color you like. Thats my advice. The change in value is not going to be significant.

427heaven

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 04, 2020, 10:03:28 AM »
I guess it depends what your intentions are for the short and long terms. Do YOU like the look of NIGHTMIST better then lime green, do you like OTHERS to compliment YOUR CAR at gatherings, do you wish to get maximum dollars when you do sell it? If you answered yes to any or all of those questions then the answer is clear on what to do. I have bought and sold more Mustangs then the average joe, and can say from my perspective a color change has not hurt the value of any of those cars, only enhanced its value. We all like something different and there are no right or wrong answers here, just ask yourself what are you drawn towards. Cars are like woman I guess thats why thru time they seem to be given womens names. If looking at an adult mag does one look for the sleek sexy super model or do we look at a 4x model that loves eating family sized pizzas. and gallons of ice cream while posing? Point being there is a person willing to buy any car with any color or options. Just depends on what makes you happy with your ride. GOOD LUCK on your paint selection.

Chris Thauberger

• Gold is money. Everything else is credit.
    • View Profile
    • And how many words have I got to say? And how many times will it be this way? With your arms around the future And your back up against the past You're already falling It's calling you on to face the music And the song that is coming through You
« Reply #33 on: August 04, 2020, 10:31:45 AM »
I don’t know why there are so many references towards Concours and losing points. That’s not really the question here. As Coralsnake said 99% of people would not enter concours they just don’t have the stomach for it. Paint it whatever colour you like, hell Chase Foxes with it if you like who cares. It’s your car.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2020, 11:44:04 AM by Chris Thauberger »
Life is 1% what happen to you and 99% how you react to it.

Video: Gold Concours GT500
Article: Pursuit of Gold

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
  • The original Influencer
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #34 on: August 04, 2020, 10:51:16 AM »
I think the majority of the forum participants appreciate a car that is “correct”.

Too often those answering questions interpret that as “concours” correct

There is a big difference.

I can answer most any concours question, but that should not be the sole focus of the forum in my honest opinion.

capecodmustang.com

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 04, 2020, 10:52:25 AM »
I don’t know why there are so many references towards Concours and losing points. That’s not really the question here. As Corelsnake said 99% of people would not enter concours they just don’t have the stomach for it. Paint it whatever colour you like, hell Chase Fox’s with it if you like who cares. It’s your car.

Well said.......

• SAAC Member
  • Fox Island, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 04, 2020, 11:03:14 AM »
If I was buying I would pay more if it was blue, even if it was green originally. Would keep me from having to pay to repaint.

+1 And I think Fresh Lime Gold is nice.

• SAAC Member
  • Fox Island, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 04, 2020, 11:06:17 AM »

What I would do, paint it the original color and if I didn't like it, sale or trade it for one that I did.  The reason, paint is expensive and any reputable paint and body person on a perfect car, no metal repairs required will charge you at least $8-10K

In Guatemala?

In my Neigborhood, that STARTS at $30,000-$35,000

KR Convertible

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 04, 2020, 11:18:00 AM »
Should we start talking about LeMans stripes now?   ;)

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 04, 2020, 11:21:58 AM »
If you change the color, you are essentially eliminating yourself from having the car successfully compete in a concours venue.

Since 99% of people will never enter a concours event, its not really a consideration.

Paint the car the color you like. Thats my advice. The change in value is not going to be significant.

The old afvice on a color change was that the most it could devalue the car would be the cost of repainting it. How much is that these days?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Chris Thauberger

• View Profile
    • And how many words have I got to say? And how many times will it be this way? With your arms around the future And your back up against the past You're already falling It's calling you on to face the music And the song that is coming through You
« Reply #40 on: August 04, 2020, 11:26:07 AM »

What I would do, paint it the original color and if I didn't like it, sale or trade it for one that I did.  The reason, paint is expensive and any reputable paint and body person on a perfect car, no metal repairs required will charge you at least $8-10K

In Guatemala?

In my Neigborhood, that STARTS at $30,000-$35,000

+1

Maybe he is referring to Earl Scheib.  ;D

Once again its all about perception. 10,000.00 paint job looks nice until you park beside the guy with the 40,000.00 paint job. ;)

To each his own.

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 04, 2020, 11:34:15 AM »
I advise it's $40,000 for the results that you want or EXP. That kind of bursts the bubble of the Mustang Coupe guys.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Chris Thauberger

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 04, 2020, 11:37:06 AM »
I think the majority of the forum participants appreciate a car that is “correct”.

I can answer most any concours question, but that should not be the sole focus of the forum in my honest opinion.

I have been around long enough to know who the concours people are on the forum, the rest are just swinging at a piñata in an effort to release the contents  ;)

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 04, 2020, 11:45:32 AM »

I have been around long enough to know who the concours people are on the forum, the rest are just swinging at a piñata in an effort to release the contents  ;)

They are afraid to not be correct. The Shelby Secret Police are always lurking somewhere in the shadows.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

67 GT350

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 04, 2020, 12:12:09 PM »
Just a follow up to my car that was Lime Green, Thats what I call it, that I painted blue, that car is now RED.

I have found over the years when you are buying, "This is a better color than the original, thus that is why the price is higher." When you are selling that same car, "That car is the wrong color, that is why I am offering you this much less."

I have always said, "Whatever you got is great, and whatever I got is shit."
RARE  Signature Delete