Author Topic: To Paint Original Lime Gold or non Orginal Nightmist Blue  (Read 22833 times)

shelbymann1970

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: To Paint Original Lime Gold or non Orginal Nightmist Blue
« Reply #45 on: August 04, 2020, 12:26:57 PM »
I have color changed a lot of cars over the years. Only 2 Shelbys. a 70 Grabber blue drag pack FB to CA red. Market bore that it did not hurt the value of it when sold. The last one was a 68 GT350 FB from highland green to black with red stripes. Market bore I got MORE for it than if it was green. The enjoyment I got out of my 68 being black/red was priceless and enjoyed the car for years before selling it. Do it in blue and enjoy it. Gary
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 04, 2020, 01:03:25 PM »
Mas Uno !

Buenas tardes Gary,

Su sugerencia es ideal.

Ellos siguen pegandole hal caballo muerto.

Muchas gracias por su opinion

I have color changed a lot of cars over the years. Only 2 Shelbys. a 70 Grabber blue drag pack FB to CA red. Market bore that it did not hurt the value of it when sold. The last one was a 68 GT350 FB from highland green to black with red stripes. Market bore I got MORE for it than if it was green. The enjoyment I got out of my 68 being black/red was priceless and enjoyed the car for years before selling it. Do it in blue and enjoy it. Gary
Living RENT FREE in your minds...

Home of the Hertz Musketeers 

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.  It's jolted by every pebble on the road

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Life is short B happy

Bigblock

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 04, 2020, 01:45:36 PM »
The local Ford dealer in the 60s/70s would repaint any Mustang/Cougar taken in on trade that was Lime Gold or 'shades' of yellow to Rangoon/Poppy Red, or "Resale Red'.

shelbymann1970

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 04, 2020, 02:19:36 PM »
Back in the mid 2000s when you could actually contact a bidder or buyer of an item on Ebay I did my own survey on color changed Shelbys. Of course those bidding or buying didn't care about originality. Enough of them sold for me to justify color changing my 68. Bill Collins once said on this forum there are 3 types of buyers.....
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

Bossbill

• SAAC Member
  • In the middle of Puget Sound
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 04, 2020, 02:42:18 PM »
Anyone have a PPG BC (DMD) formula they wish to share? I've called upon a few experts here for a paint code but they shoot with extremely uncommon paint systems that have no correlation to the more common systems -- like PPG -- available here.
I had my local shop do a straight up Lime Gold in PPG 2054 in today's paint and the match is terrible. Just because PPG says today's Yellow is the same as 50 year Yellow -- is it truly the same same color? Uh, no.

I had a camera color match done and sprayed it out and looks good, but I need to compare it to original cars to see how well it matches. So far, little luck getting back to the original car we used with the camera and even if I find it I wouldn't know what to do with the color to make it match better (if indeed it's off).

You can PM me with your cumulative PPG mix if you don't want it published.
I can share mine if others are interested.
Bill

67 GT350 Actual Build 3/2/67  01375
70 B302   6/6/70  0T02G160xxx

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
  • The original Influencer
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #50 on: August 04, 2020, 02:51:25 PM »
You might try Tim Lea. Pretty sure he navigated the Lime Green waters. He is TLEA on the forum.

Greg

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 04, 2020, 02:57:10 PM »
Back in the mid 2000s when you could actually contact a bidder or buyer of an item on Ebay I did my own survey on color changed Shelbys. Of course those bidding or buying didn't care about originality. Enough of them sold for me to justify color changing my 68. Bill Collins once said on this forum there are 3 types of buyers.....

I hear you but that was 15 - 20 years ago, and the prices are not the same.  When these cars went 6 figures the ball game changed. 
Shelby's and Fords from Day 1

Bossbill

• SAAC Member
  • In the middle of Puget Sound
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 04, 2020, 03:53:40 PM »
You might try Tim Lea. Pretty sure he navigated the Lime Green waters. He is TLEA on the forum.

Tim  was nice enough to send me his color mix. However, he used an 'AksoNobel Sikkens Lesonal' mix and there is no one around in my state that carries this system.
You can't really use other vendor's color mixes as they don't translate well.
Bill

67 GT350 Actual Build 3/2/67  01375
70 B302   6/6/70  0T02G160xxx

QuickSilverShelby

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 04, 2020, 11:06:10 PM »
Mas Uno !

Buenas tardes Gary,

Su sugerencia es ideal.

Ellos siguen pegandole hal caballo muerto.

Muchas gracias por su opinion

I need some dudes up here who speak American goddamn it!

QSS
« Last Edit: August 04, 2020, 11:57:12 PM by QuickSilverShelby »
You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.

QuickSilverShelby

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 04, 2020, 11:07:28 PM »
You have to paint your car Blue.  If you don't, you will always have doubts.  Paint it Blue.

QSS
You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.

The Going Thing

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 04, 2020, 11:17:09 PM »
I’m surprised Keith hasn’t chimed in on this yet, if I recall correctly his blue car was originally lime green. Maybe I’m wrong :P
Yes, My Shelby was Slime Green.  I went Acapulco two stage with about six coats of clear. I am constantly complemented on how beautiful it is. I personally don't care for it and Mr. Gains will tell you it's the most common color that people change. 
It's up to you, but listening to the comments about the Lime Gold by the spectators I don't hear many posiives.
If of course absolute  originality is what you desire, by all means paint it what it was.

• 1967 gt500 since 82 NFS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 04, 2020, 11:59:50 PM »
What if it was originally a red car, or a white car, would the conversation be the same?

I actually know of a red 1968 KR that was changed to Lime Green.
.  Motivation?

The Going Thing

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 05, 2020, 12:31:55 AM »
What if it was originally a red car, or a white car, would the conversation be the same?

I actually know of a red 1968 KR that was changed to Lime Green.
.  Motivation?

Yes. They're stuck in the 60s when people had Avacado appliances.. ;D
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Likely, It's something they loved in their youth and want to relive it.

68krrrr

• SoCal Upland
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 05, 2020, 02:00:34 AM »
Wow lots of opinions here as a previous owner of a lime green KR & a current owner of a Nightmist blue 67 ,i can say the lime green really grew on me & i got tons of compliments on it, as long as its a fresh pant job ,a real 60's vintage color .I sought out a Nightmist/Parchment for my 67 it took so long for one to come to market i ended up settling for an auto ,in the end but really love the fact that it an original color & wouldn't have it another way ,good luck & either way your gonna  love it i'm guessing.
Current
1967 GT500 #1724
Nightmist Blue /Parchment
2005 Ford Gt Midnight blue
Porsche 911 Turbo 2007 Highly modified
1934 Ford Chopped & channeled

Previously owned
1968 GT500KR #03528 Lime green
1968 GT/CS

"Fly low & avoid the radar"
Thanks Adam

Corey Bowcutt

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 05, 2020, 08:06:48 AM »
I have a lime gold 68 and without fail when I take my car out which is frequently I get compliments on the color.  I can not tell you how many times I have heard I love that color. Now days in the sea of black, silver and white cars it is just refreshing to see something different. I am far from a concourse guy but it is in my bones to make/keep my car as original as possible. I love the color and would never change.
Corey