Author Topic: To Paint Original Lime Gold or non Orginal Nightmist Blue  (Read 22834 times)

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: To Paint Original Lime Gold or non Orginal Nightmist Blue
« Reply #105 on: August 10, 2020, 07:58:23 PM »
We are now on page # 8......blue
Living RENT FREE in your minds...

Home of the Hertz Musketeers 

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.  It's jolted by every pebble on the road

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Life is short B happy

tonys_shelby

• View Profile
« Reply #106 on: August 11, 2020, 10:54:35 AM »
Is it my understanding that I could not enter a car in division 2 with a color change. Or just gold?

JD

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: August 11, 2020, 11:59:46 AM »
Is it my understanding that I could not enter a car in division 2 with a color change. Or just gold?
See this thread and note the last paragraph of the first page, opening post...

(Just trying to help answer the question, not telling anyone what to do - that is entirely your choice!)

http://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=5278.0

"...  Thus,  this is where we are now on color changes.  We are of the concensus that the color of the car when it left the factory is very, very important . Going forward ,  A car that is Color changed entered in SAAC Premiere  (D1)  will not be allowed to be judged period!  It will be be downgraded to SAAC Concours! However in SAAC Concourse (D2)   a color change will be allowed to be judged as long as its a color that was available for that year car!  BUT  that car will not be eligible for a gold award at all and will basicly start  as a Silver and go from there. 

We feel this rule is one that will help SAAC protect the integrity of the Marque and SAAC Judging..."
« Last Edit: August 11, 2020, 01:06:31 PM by JD »
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

427hunter

• SAAC Member
  • Caretaker of 1969 gt500 #602 and 1966 gt350 #853
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: August 11, 2020, 12:17:47 PM »
I like the green and it's the way it was born - also new base clear makes the color pop better then the old single stage version.

P.S. If you want the car judged it looks like it's the factory color or nothing.
“You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means”

Inigo Montoya

“This life’s hard, man, but it’s harder if you’re stupid”

Jackie Brown

2000 hours of my life stolen by 602 over three years

Vernon Estes

• View Profile
« Reply #109 on: August 11, 2020, 12:49:28 PM »
So can I tell my potential buyer that the big wigs at SAAC all say, color changes and transmissions changes hardly effect the price?

That might work, except when a SAAC big wig shows up to buy my car, then I bet I will be told, "You know, because you put a nice 4 speed in your car, that has hurt its value." Or The color is not correct, thus I cannot pay as much as I would it you had painted it the correct color."

Don't know about being a "big wig"...last time I checked I am merely a "full member" on the site here whereas we all know that post count is what truly dictates your prospective "level" in the overall hierarchy of the hobby  ;D

As far as responding to your particular post...anyone looking to buy anything is going to be very quick to identify anything they see as a "shortcoming" which can be used to negotiate in that person's favor...just as you, as the seller, will be quick to note the car's many positives in the hopes of bolstering the car's desirability. Luckily for you, as the seller, you can tell a potential suitor where to stick his offer if it is not up to the level that you want for the car. All you need is one guy who doesn't care about a trans or color swap to sell the car...and there are WAY more than of those buyers out there. There are also plenty of guys who want Lime cars...

In short....its your car, do what you want with it. Life is too short to worry about whether or not some other knucklehead out there cares about a color or trans change on YOUR car.

Kind regards,
Vern
Junk dealer and the oldest young guy you will ever know.

GT350DAVE

• View Profile
« Reply #110 on: August 11, 2020, 12:56:06 PM »
+1
Support the SAAC Registry

427hunter

• SAAC Member
  • Caretaker of 1969 gt500 #602 and 1966 gt350 #853
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: August 11, 2020, 01:23:18 PM »
The professional Shelby flippers are saying it won't hurt value, so if a later sale is the issue - looks like that's the answer.

“You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means”

Inigo Montoya

“This life’s hard, man, but it’s harder if you’re stupid”

Jackie Brown

2000 hours of my life stolen by 602 over three years

shelbymann1970

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: August 11, 2020, 02:07:26 PM »

[/quote]

Don't know about being a "big wig"...last time I checked I am merely a "full member" on the site here whereas we all know that post count is what truly dictates your prospective "level" in the overall hierarchy of the hobby  ;D

As far as responding to your particular post...anyone looking to buy anything is going to be very quick to identify anything they see as a "shortcoming" which can be used to negotiate in that person's favor...just as you, as the seller, will be quick to note the car's many positives in the hopes of bolstering the car's desirability. Luckily for you, as the seller, you can tell a potential suitor where to stick his offer if it is not up to the level that you want for the car. All you need is one guy who doesn't care about a trans or color swap to sell the car...and there are WAY more than of those buyers out there. There are also plenty of guys who want Lime cars...

In short....its your car, do what you want with it. Life is too short to worry about whether or not some other knucklehead out there cares about a color or trans change on YOUR car.

Kind regards,
Vern
[/quote]Well said. 2 Shelbys I color changed over the years to my liking and I'm NOT a Shelby flipper.  :) Gary
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

« Reply #113 on: September 09, 2020, 08:52:26 PM »
I have a 1967 GT 500 that is Lime Gold. I like the color very much. I am going to keep it original. Folks will always say that its your car, so do what you want. I am not so sure I totally agree with that thought. We are but caretakers of these cars and one day someone else will own your car. If they are like me they might want everything original as possible. I know that originality was important to me when I bought the 67 GT 500. Why take a chance on lowering its value to a future buyer that is into originally.
I bought a 1967 GT 350 in 2017, that I had last owned in 1974. The car was an original Brittany blue car, but a subsequent owner painted it white with blue stripes. I had it restored and painted it back to Brittany blue. I have to admit I love the White w/blue stripes, but I wanted it to be as close to original as it was in 1974. It is now the correct original color and is beautiful. Tough decision! Good luck!   Jim 

jim mac

• View Profile
« Reply #114 on: November 17, 2020, 08:29:34 AM »
I'm a bit late to this thread, but I have a Nightmist blue GT350 that I have owned for 20 years (#2348).  It was originally a red car, but was painted nightmist blue in 1983.  At that time, the owner told me that he couldn't decide whether to paint it red or blue, nightmist blue being his favorite Shelby color.  He said he stood at the paint counter with both paint codes in his hand trying to decide.  He chose blue and never regretted it. 27 years later, I faced the same dilemma. I had the car striped down and could see some of the original red, which was not a real common color for the 1967 Shelbys. Should I go with the more rare red, and probably better color for resale because it was the original color, or keep it nightmist blue, which is my favorite 67 Shelby color, and the reason I originally bought the car. Well, I ultimately decided on blue, and I have never regretted it.  I am not concerned with resale and I have a car that I drive, show, and treasure.       
"If things seem under control, you're just not going fast enough" - Mario Andretti

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: November 17, 2020, 10:16:31 AM »
+1 glorious reply

I'm a bit late to this thread, but I have a Nightmist blue GT350 that I have owned for 20 years (#2348).  It was originally a red car, but was painted nightmist blue in 1983.  At that time, the owner told me that he couldn't decide whether to paint it red or blue, nightmist blue being his favorite Shelby color.  He said he stood at the paint counter with both paint codes in his hand trying to decide.  He chose blue and never regretted it. 27 years later, I faced the same dilemma. I had the car striped down and could see some of the original red, which was not a real common color for the 1967 Shelbys. Should I go with the more rare red, and probably better color for resale because it was the original color, or keep it nightmist blue, which is my favorite 67 Shelby color, and the reason I originally bought the car. Well, I ultimately decided on blue, and I have never regretted it.  I am not concerned with resale and I have a car that I drive, show, and treasure.       
Living RENT FREE in your minds...

Home of the Hertz Musketeers 

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.  It's jolted by every pebble on the road

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Life is short B happy

vtgt500

• View Profile
« Reply #116 on: November 17, 2020, 03:28:55 PM »
Also late to the dance.  My $0.02.  Being car guys, friends and I from around the country  rendezvous at SEMA most years.  The backdrop of phenomenal paint work is mind boggling.  New paint materials offer near limitless possibilities.  Consider something as stubble as an original pigment base coat, with a mid coat clear tinted with a hint of contrasting color pearl, then flow coated with high solids clear.  I came away remembering paints jobs more than the marques.  Well done, you could appreciate the car and paint equally.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2020, 03:31:01 PM by vtgt500 »

6s2055

• View Profile
« Reply #117 on: November 17, 2020, 04:09:04 PM »
Interesting post back in August by Bob Gaines! When I found ‘67 GT500 #0195 in Reno sitting in a backyard field it was red! Original color was Lime Green and I went to white!

oldcanuck

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: November 22, 2020, 08:49:36 AM »
When I bought my GT350, it had been color changed to Raven Black by the PO in about 2009 and I had full intentions on taking it back to Lime Gold since the car is all original sheet metal being it had been in the panhandle of FL and So Cal all it's life. I have lived with it because it was done so very well.

Fast forward.... yesterday I stopped at a fellow members new garage..... (BTW Fran, breathtaking !) and he has a Boss 302 in Lime Gold. Obviously painted with modern 2 stage paint and clear coat...... WOW did it look good.

Now my head is messing with me..... and it didn't help that my wife saw it too .....
Bob
Knoxvegas, TN

427heaven

• View Profile
« Reply #119 on: November 22, 2020, 09:25:01 AM »
There is no winner or loser with this answer. We all like something different when it comes to colors or other things, paint it something that is very pleasing to the eyes, after all you need to look at it year after year. If you had your favorite (model)poster hanging up in your garage, would you want the model to be wearing lime green undergarments or lets say something a little more racy like red or black or?