News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Clean electric vehicles? I think not.

Started by Corey Bowcutt, August 05, 2020, 08:45:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corey Bowcutt

I see folks driving electric vehicles sporting a vanity plate stating how "green" and "clean" they are.  I believe if they spent just a little time thinking about it they would realize there is no free lunch here. This article does a good job of pointing out the fallacy of this thinking.  I just found it interesting.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/tilakdoshi/2020/08/02/the-dirty-secrets-of-clean-electric-vehicles/

Corey

Quote from: Corey Bowcutt on August 05, 2020, 08:45:32 AM
I see folks driving electric vehicles sporting a vanity plate stating how "green" and "clean" they are.  I believe if they spent just a little time thinking about it they would realize there is no free lunch here. This article does a good job of pointing out the fallacy of this thinking.  I just found it interesting.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/tilakdoshi/2020/08/02/the-dirty-secrets-of-clean-electric-vehicles/

Corey

The believers will never listen, let alone believe.

mark p

thanks for posting Cory.
This whole affair is quite a ride, and I'd guess that this article will be labeled as "fake news".

Maybe the earth environment / human right zealots are different folk than the clean energy group? ... "no one wants to know how the sausage is made"  ??? ::)

the article mentions cleaner burning natural gas plants... but don't they still put out CO2??

Here in NJ, it is Big news when the power company wants to unload all of their dirty fossil fuel generation plants... but I'll likely be 6 feet under before those offshore wind turbines are operational. Those appear to be opposed by [multiple] other groups.
"I don't know what the world may need, but a V8 engine's a good start for me" (from Teen Angst by the band "Cracker")

66 Tiger / 65 Thunderbird

JohnHouston

I saw a Tesla with a vanity plate CLNAIR the other day.  I wanted to stop and thank the guy.  Having grown up in what was then coal country, I sure appreciate all of the coal burned to make his electricity.

John
(Now in oil country, but still a fan of clean use of abundant coal.)

Quote from: mark p on August 05, 2020, 01:02:38 PM

Here in NJ, it is Big news when the power company wants to unload all of those dirty fossil fuel generation plants... but I'll likely be 6 feet under before those offshore wind turbines are operational. Those appear to be opposed by [multiple] other groups.

The super rich (who often praise Climate change activism) with waterfront estates who don't want to look at those Turbines.

The Going Thing

This is a great thread. I am sure someone here is clenching. Facts and truth are like Kryptonite. Of course you'll be told you are of closed mind.

JohnHouston

I have heard the whole global cooling/global warming/climate change/whatevertheychoosetocallittoday thing described as a religion.  I think that is fair.  No facts will be admitted to discuss, much less change minds.  If you don't agree you don't believe in "science," although I thought that science teaches us that where I am sitting was once under a really thick sheet of ice . . . .

I just hope they pave more land for private jet parking for the climate change meetings in Davos.  How can the elites help the little people they are so concerned about if there is no place to park their private jets?????

jpd

The Going Thing

They get caught manufacturing numbers and of course the more recent debunking of the geological timelines. Psuedo-science and theories that are unsupportable will not be done away with when it has everything to do with taxation and control of mankind.

I love the Time Magazine Cover from 1977. If you lived in the north east I'm sure you remember the record snowfalls and the complete shutdown in many areas.
Climate cycles always have been. They are not man-made but real science shows they correlate with sun activity.

Grab the latest issue of TIME. I just read thru it.

It is no longer a journalistic endeavor.

The Going Thing

Quote from: 2112 on August 06, 2020, 12:39:38 AM
Grab the latest issue of TIME. I just read thru it.

It is no longer a journalistic endeavor.
Pure propaganda and leftist trash. I agree. Don't use them for TP. The cuts burn.

rockhouse66

Quote from: JohnHouston on August 05, 2020, 01:51:40 PM
I saw a Tesla with a vanity plate CLNAIR the other day.  I wanted to stop and thank the guy.  Having grown up in what was then coal country, I sure appreciate all of the coal burned to make his electricity.

John
(Now in oil country, but still a fan of clean use of abundant coal.)

Agree!  Coal creates lots of American jobs and is abundant.  Further, the only/best clean use of this fuel is a large central power station that can justify the pollution controls.  This resource, and the jobs and lives it supports, is going to waste due to the current passion for "alternative energy".

mark p

Quote from: 2112 on August 05, 2020, 03:37:08 PM
Quote from: mark p on August 05, 2020, 01:02:38 PM

Here in NJ, it is Big news when the power company wants to unload all of those dirty fossil fuel generation plants... but I'll likely be 6 feet under before those offshore wind turbines are operational. Those appear to be opposed by [multiple] other groups.

The super rich (who often praise Climate change activism) with waterfront estates who don't want to look at those Turbines.

I'm sure that I'll never remember all of the opposition at one time... but there are also the fishermen (commercial + recreational), plus the sea life and the bird folks. It's pretty hard to keep score.
The final cost is yet another issue, but sorta like an invisible "elephant in the room". With the projected costs as 2.5 times current generation methods... but somehow the ratepayers will not see that(?).
"I don't know what the world may need, but a V8 engine's a good start for me" (from Teen Angst by the band "Cracker")

JohnHouston

I recall there was once a prominent US Senator, a real champion of the people who knew a great deal about operating in and under water, who stopped turbine installations off of Martha's vineyard (I think) because he didn't want to have to see them from the family homeplace.  Not that I think they are more than a small part of the energy answer, but I thought the prospect of clean, free power was supposed to have been important at the kind of parties he would have attended. . .

mark p

... and then there is this?
What happens with their grid when more and more electric vehicles need to be charged?

I'm not trying to say that electric cars are "bad", just that everything is not "fully baked" at this point in time.