News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Is a bolt kit/package available for the 428

Started by mlplunkett, August 05, 2020, 05:45:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mlplunkett

Since I'm starting with a bare block to build my 428 I'm hoping that someone has assembled a package of the correct bolts for all the accessories, oil pan, intake, valve covers, etc. Am I dreaming? Can't find anything on the Web.
67 GT500 tribute under construction
65 R-model tribute under construction

corbins

Yes AMK sells such a kit, it covers the FE, not really specific to a Shelby, but lots of good stuff in the kit.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: corbins on August 05, 2020, 06:06:22 PM
Yes AMK sells such a kit, it covers the FE, not really specific to a Shelby, but lots of good stuff in the kit.
67 GT500 would have intake bolts and misc intake hardware and valve cover Shelby specific bolts. GT350 would have similar specific bolts.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

The Going Thing

Yes, AMK offers a kit specific to the 1967 Shelby 428 and it is different than the other FE cars.. The intake is absolutely Shelby specific for 1967 as well as the carburetor studs and nuts, valve cover bolts, basket cover in the back that aren't on standard FE cars.

FL SAAC

Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

mlplunkett

Thanks guys. The AMK package for the 67 GT500 looks like just what the doctor ordered. Hopefully this thing will be coming together soon.
67 GT500 tribute under construction
65 R-model tribute under construction

The Going Thing

Quote from: FL SAAC on August 05, 2020, 07:40:08 PM
For the inner bolts use ARP

Everything internally is ARP on my car, including the cam gear bolt. I even run ARP head bolts and rocker shaft bolts. Don't run studs on an FE in a mustang/shelby. You won't get the heads off.

Kent

Bob do you also use the GT500 1967 Kit for your restorations? Is it "ok"?
SAAC Member from Germany and Owner of a unrestored 1967 Shelby GT500, 1968 1/2 Cobra Jet´s and some nice Mustang Fastback´s 67/68

The Going Thing

Yes, Kent. It matched what came off my car.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Kent on August 06, 2020, 02:27:15 AM
Bob do you also use the GT500 1967 Kit for your restorations? Is it "ok"?
Kent ,now I mostly help in a advisory capacity on restorations for others as far as full restorations go. I always try to use original bolts where ever I can. Original bolts are getting harder to find in good enough condition to reuse. Then comes going through the gauntlet of finding a place to have them plated to the correct finish without the place losing some of the bolts in the mix. With all that said the AMK kits will typically pass without too much problem for most (not all) concours class's or enthusiast scrutiny. Over the years the correct mfg markings on the AMK bolts have started to change depending on the bolt. Many are now just the correct size and finish but do not have the correct markings like they once had when Max first started his business .As AMK replenish their stock some of the bolts are not available or a new special order makes them impractical to buy. For example the 67 GT500 intake bolts are only the same in shape and finish only.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

The Going Thing

Bob, not to impugn on your knowledge, but unless Max has changed fasteners for the intake in the last 14 years they were EXACTLY what came off my engine. I know he is running out of some sources, so that may be true currently.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: The Going Thing on August 06, 2020, 04:49:05 PM
Bob, not to impugn on your knowledge, but unless Max has changed fasteners for the intake in the last 14 years they were EXACTLY what came off my engine. I know he is running out of some sources, so that may be true currently.
When they first came out they did have bolts with the correct markings although slightly different in appearance. That was 25 plus years ago. In your case I suppose it has a lot to do with what mfg marks were on the bolts you took off your intake and what you got from AMK. ;) I have seen AMK intake bolts a grade 5 with no other mark . I have seen some with a grade 5 marking and a P in the middle . I have seen others that I didn't commit to memory because they were non original markings . Needless to say but I will, yes they have changed to various versions within the last 14 years. AMK bolt supply and consequently mfg marks on the bolts  have been slowly changing to more generic bolts for years. Don't get me wrong I think AMK is a boon to car restoration but it is prudent to be aware of the changes. 

The Going Thing

Quote from: Bob Gaines on August 06, 2020, 05:47:38 PM
Quote from: The Going Thing on August 06, 2020, 04:49:05 PM
When they first came out they did have bolts with the correct markings although slightly different in appearance. That was 25 plus years ago. In your case I suppose it has a lot to do with what mfg marks were on the bolts you took off your intake and what you got from AMK. ;) I have seen AMK intake bolts a grade 5 with no other mark . I have seen some with a grade 5 marking and a P in the middle . I have seen others that I didn't commit to memory because they were non original markings . Needless to say but I will, yes they have changed to various versions within the last 14 years. AMK bolt supply and consequently mfg marks on the bolts  have been slowly changing to more generic bolts for years. Don't get me wrong I think AMK is a boon to car restoration but it is prudent to be aware of the changes.
Bob, it's why I stated it as I did. I assumed there had been some change since I purchased my kits. The only issue I had heard of is the bolts being shorter in the new sets.