Author Topic: Is a bolt kit/package available for the 428  (Read 4019 times)

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
Re: Is a bolt kit/package available for the 428
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2020, 06:29:52 PM »
Bob, not to impugn on your knowledge, but unless Max has changed fasteners for the intake in the last 14 years they were EXACTLY what came off my engine. I know he is running out of some sources, so that may be true currently.
When they first came out they did have bolts with the correct markings although slightly different in appearance. That was 25 plus years ago. In your case I suppose it has a lot to do with what mfg marks were on the bolts you took off your intake and what you got from AMK. ;) I have seen AMK intake bolts a grade 5 with no other mark . I have seen some with a grade 5 marking and a P in the middle . I have seen others that I didn't commit to memory because they were non original markings . Needless to say but I will, yes they have changed to various versions within the last 14 years. AMK bolt supply and consequently mfg marks on the bolts  have been slowly changing to more generic bolts for years. Don't get me wrong I think AMK is a boon to car restoration but it is prudent to be aware of the changes.
Bob, it's why I stated it as I did. I assumed there had been some change since I purchased my kits. The only issue I had heard of is the bolts being shorter in the new sets.
Would care to describe the bolt marking on the bolts you received from AMK?
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

The Going Thing

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2020, 06:36:42 PM »
I would be glad to post pictures, Bob.

JWH

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2020, 01:09:44 PM »
MLPlunkett - I am moving a little off-topic, but I just finished installing a rebuilt 428 in my '67 and found the Mansfield Mustang site a big help. Just reading through their website was helpful research and they offer a lot of parts that help detail the engine. Good luck with your build.
Jeff

• SAAC Member
  • Fox Island, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2020, 04:06:08 PM »
I would be glad to post pictures, Bob.

Please do.

• SAAC Member
  • Fox Island, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2020, 04:07:31 PM »
MLPlunkett - I am moving a little off-topic, but I just finished installing a rebuilt 428 in my '67 and found the Mansfield Mustang site a big help. Just reading through their website was helpful research and they offer a lot of parts that help detail the engine. Good luck with your build.
Jeff

http://mansfieldmustang.com/CatalogIndexFirstpage.html

The Going Thing

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2020, 04:27:34 PM »
Bill at Mansfield Mustang is a great help and source on FE components.