News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Power steering pump information

Started by Bob Gaines, August 06, 2020, 01:09:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob Gaines

I was replying to JD's post in a parts wanted thread which was directly related to the OP and the information he needed to post a accurate part wanted . The Moderator locked the thread. I invite JD to repost his great picture so those in the future searching will be able to benefit.
Quote from: JD on August 06, 2020, 12:42:04 PM
for those that may not know the Thompson (Ford) pumps are the ones painted metallic "teal/blue"  with a "F" stamped in the middle line of the metal tag and the TRW are the ones painted black with a "W" (IIRC) in the middle line if you still have the tag or can tell what the original color was.

Tom (OP) you are looking for the cast aluminum bracket not the stamped steel bracket?
JD you may want to add that if the tag is missing on the back of the pump that is not the only way to determine the MFG. The cast iron front of the PS pump will be marked by ether a FOMOCO in the rectangle on the Ford Thompson case or a "W" on the front of the TRW mfg case. Of course you would need to mate the case,tag and the aluminum bracket all the same MFG to be assemblyline correct .
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Krelboyne

Did the TRW and Thompson each supply their own reservoirs?
Scott Behncke - Carchaeologist @ WCCC

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Krelboyne on August 06, 2020, 01:55:42 PM
The same identical design from what I can see but most likely yes given the other same mfg components IMO. I have not found them marked different in any way.The metal tag added once complete was probably used for that too IMO.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

68krrrr

As far as color goes for the pumps I see a couple different shades being used and sold on places like eBay, which of these two is closer to the original color thanks
Current
1967 GT500 #1724
Nightmist Blue /Parchment
2005 Ford Gt Midnight blue
Porsche 911 Turbo 2007 Highly modified
1934 Ford Chopped & channeled

Previously owned
1968 GT500KR #03528 Lime green
1968 GT/CS

"Fly low & avoid the radar"
Thanks Adam

J_Speegle

Quote from: 68krrrr on August 06, 2020, 02:35:55 PM
As far as color goes for the pumps I see a couple different shades being used and sold on places like eBay, which of these two is closer to the original color thanks

Yes the amount of metallic and the tint (more green or blue) varied from batch to batch slightly. IMHO and having looked at my share I would vote the bottom example as being closer to what I typically see and have pictures of
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

JD

Quote from: J_Speegle on August 06, 2020, 02:50:53 PM
Yes the amount of metallic and the tint (more green or blue) varied from batch to batch slightly. IMHO and having looked at my share I would vote the bottom example as being closer to what I typically see and have pictures of

I would agree with Jeff...
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

Bob Gaines

Quote from: 68krrrr on August 06, 2020, 02:35:55 PM
More then a couple. ;)  There are colors and shades that fall into a range of what was used but not one exact color was used consistently based on real world samples. One example is that I have had probably 15 NOS pumps over the years and not two match each of shade wise. That is besides the multiple dozens used ones I have had over the years. I am sure others have had similar experiences. Given different monitors can change the shade it is hard to say on your pictures. It was some kind of batch paint which would explain the multiple variations. There are all kinds of shades that would fall into that range. Keep in mind that the black TRW pump was used in all of the plants too. Some plants seemed to use more of one mfg pump then others .

JD

Quote from: Bob Gaines on August 06, 2020, 01:09:29 PM
I was replying to JD's post in a parts wanted thread which was directly related to the OP and the information he needed to post a accurate part wanted . The Moderator locked the thread. I invite JD to repost his great picture so those in the future searching will be able to benefit.
Quote from: JD on August 06, 2020, 12:42:04 PM
for those that may not know the Thompson (Ford) pumps are the ones painted metallic "teal/blue"  with a "F" stamped in the middle line of the metal tag and the TRW are the ones painted black with a "W" in the middle line if you still have the tag or can tell what the original color was.

JD you may want to add that if the tag is missing on the back of the pump that is not the only way to determine the MFG. The cast iron front of the PS pump will be marked by ether a FOMOCO in the rectangle on the Ford Thompson case or a "W" on the front of the TRW mfg case. Of course you would need to mate the case,tag and the aluminum bracket all the same MFG to be assemblyline correct .
Bob, OK (thanks), and thanks for the added info regarding the info on the front of the pumps.

'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

J_Speegle

Quote from: Bob Gaines on August 06, 2020, 02:59:31 PM
........ There are colors and shades that fall into a range of what was used but not one exact color was used consistently based on real world samples. One example is that I have had probably 15 NOS pumps over the years and not two match each of shade wise.......

One of the issues may be due to comparing NOS (painted and assembled through different decades) and originals. Would expect that colors used on NOS pumps in the 70's would differ from, for example the 80's or 60's

Just a consideration
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Royce Peterson

Yes and it is easy to tell them apart. The Ford reservoirs are stamped with a FoMoCo logo on the back.

Quote from: Krelboyne on August 06, 2020, 01:55:42 PM
1968 Cougar XR-7 GT-E 427 Side Oiler C6 3.50 Detroit Locker
1968 1/2 Cougar XR-7 428CJ Ram Air C6 3.91 Traction Lock

Great Topic.

Fantastic pictures as usual JD, thank you.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: J_Speegle on August 06, 2020, 04:16:58 PM
Quote from: Bob Gaines on August 06, 2020, 02:59:31 PM
........ There are colors and shades that fall into a range of what was used but not one exact color was used consistently based on real world samples. One example is that I have had probably 15 NOS pumps over the years and not two match each of shade wise.......

One of the issues may be due to comparing NOS (painted and assembled through different decades) and originals. Would expect that colors used on NOS pumps in the 70's would differ from, for example the 80's or 60's

Just a consideration
Yes but many assemblyline versions are different shades from each other too. ;) The point being there is not a absolute one color used. It is more reasonable IMHO to expect a color/shade within a range of similar color/shades.