Author Topic: Anybody ever hear of the junkyard ferrari Shelby put a Chevy V8 into?  (Read 2068 times)

HistoryBuff

• View Profile
I was writing bout the Ferrari 410 spyder that RM Sothebys is putting up for auction at Monterey  next month. Shelby won more than 10 races in it, while it was owned by his sponsor John Edgar. i vaguely remember when Shelby and  Mr. Hall (brother of Jim Hall) had that sports car store in Dallas, reading a rumor of a dirty unwashed ferrari that they put a Chevy V8 into? Anybody know what model it was or what happened to it?
I doubt it was the auction car. by the way the Shelby connection with the auction car is so str0ng they are giving away a trophy Shelby won while racing it The picture here is of the car when Shelby raced it. It might go for $20-25 million.

98SVT - was 06GT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Could be the same car and restored with a Ferrari engine. They would pitch the wins not the bastardization with a Chevy. Shelby name will add some money to the value but how much is hard to say. Most Ferrari collectors don't look at CS through the same eyes as a Cobra collector. Generally the drivers didn't care about trophies (only the paycheck and prize money) and let the owners keep them.
A Ferrari factory restoration can include a correct serial number drivetrain that was produced just yesterday
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

deathsled

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
I never knew the Shelby-Ferrari connection.  Interesting and informative.  Also re Ferrari restoration logistics with the factory turning out a new serial number.
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

98SVT - was 06GT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Also re Ferrari restoration logistics with the factory turning out a new serial number.
New part old serial number. They have a book on every Ferrari made that lists the original engine, trans, etc serial numbers and will produce a new part with that number for your restoration.

deathsled

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Also re Ferrari restoration logistics with the factory turning out a new serial number.
New part old serial number. They have a book on every Ferrari made that lists the original engine, trans, etc serial numbers and will produce a new part with that number for your restoration.
Well I imagine they are licensed to do it. Lol!
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

• 1967 gt500 since 82 NFS!
    • View Profile
Kinda throws”authenticity” out the window..repop=original apparently$$$

honker

• View Profile
OP's question....answer  "Pig Pen"
« Last Edit: August 13, 2022, 11:56:28 AM by honker »

gt350shelb

• View Profile

For a fee  BIG $$$$$$$ FEE
Some where some one is driving their collector car for the last time but they don't know it . Drive your car every time like it could be the last memory of it .

honker

• View Profile
Re: Anybody ever hear of the junkyard ferrari Shelby put a Chevy V8 into?
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2022, 07:54:06 PM »
HistoryBuff, want more ? buy your self either of these books !
« Last Edit: August 14, 2022, 07:58:22 PM by honker »

98SVT - was 06GT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2022, 10:15:30 PM »
I wonder if the Ferrari/Chevy experience of CS is why he went to Chevy for Cobra engines first - only to be turned down?

Bill

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2022, 08:23:30 AM »
I wonder if the Ferrari/Chevy experience of CS is why he went to Chevy for Cobra engines first - only to be turned down?

Shelby told two or three different stories on this over the years, one was that he believed GM would be more open to the idea than Ford, the other was it was just the first one he stopped in at, having also stopped at Ford, and even Chrysler if you want to believe the ramblings of a man who kept the whole story much closer to his vest, and rarely, if ever gave anyone that whole story, without embellishment.  ::)

Bill
Instead of being part of the problem, be part of a successful solution.
HOW TO IDENTIFY A FORUM TROLL
https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=16401.0

papa scoops

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2022, 01:26:59 PM »
the truth is carroll had a bunch of old ferrari bodys sitting out in a field....... the rest is history

98SVT - was 06GT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2022, 02:15:46 PM »

Shelby told two or three different stories on this over the years, one was that he believed GM would be more open to the idea than Ford, the other was it was just the first one he stopped in at, having also stopped at Ford, and even Chrysler if you want to believe the ramblings of a man who kept the whole story much closer to his vest, and rarely, if ever gave anyone that whole story, without embellishment.  ::)

Bill
I suspect Chevy was his first stop because that is what he knew. The Corvettes were winning - his(?) Ferrari won with a Chevy engine - building a lighter car with a proven engine would be obvious. He always said he later "got a call" about Ford's new engine and the rest is history. I don't think Chrysler was ever a consideration or part of the real story - until CS inked that Chrysler contract in the 80s.
But would CS even have gotten in the door at Ford if they had hired Zora Arkus Duntov? He took his Ardun head to Ford and tried to get an engineering job. Henry turned him down so he went to Chevrolet - and again the rest is history.

427hunter

• SAAC Member
  • Caretaker of 1969 gt500 #602 and 1966 gt350 #853
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2022, 03:58:19 PM »
This Ferrari has a well documented list of drivers / owners and has a fantastic racing history. I don't get the constant mud slinging here but it's the way of the forum. The Ferrari will sell for a fortune and the list of former drivers (including Shelby) will just add to it. 
“You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means”

Inigo Montoya

“This life’s hard, man, but it’s harder if you’re stupid”

Jackie Brown

2000 hours of my life stolen by 602 over three years