News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Shelby American; USA Transporters and Service Vehicles

Started by Richstang, March 16, 2018, 06:05:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richstang

Great question! Riverside is a good guess as it does look like California. To bad there are no hints that help to tell us where exactly it might be.

I was just discussing this new / vintage photo estimated to be taken in 1964 between very late July and December.
The white painted wheels, white lower trim on the trailer, along with the lighter blue paint help place it then.

Notice the doors on this left side trailer only open at the top to access to the top level. Doors on the right side only access the bottom level. 
1967 Shelby Research Group 

www.1967ShelbyResearch.com
www.facebook.com/groups/1967shelbyresearch

1991-1993 SAAC MKI, MKII, & Snake Registrar

Side-Oilers

I agree that it could be RIR.  The trees are similar to the eucalyptus that used to line the side roads. The foothill in the background looks similar too.
Current:
2006 FGT, Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs. Top Speed Certified 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra 427.  482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Previous:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model

gt350hr

The grouping of trees is different than any area of Riverside. My guess is Dodger Stadium or "possibly" Santa Barbara. Both were active in the "white wheel" time frame.
     Randy
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

Side-Oilers

Randy, of those two, I'd guess Santa Barbara. Trees are correct, hills look to be too. 

I first thought RIR because of the trees, and similarity of the hills, but it would have to be at a far out part of the facility for those trees...not near the road course itself.

Also: Very rarely was the sky at RIR that clear and blue...it was mostly smoggy!
Van
Current:
2006 FGT, Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs. Top Speed Certified 210.7 mph.

Previous:
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1957 T-Bird E-model

honker

Here's a pic that shows more of the background in the Cobra hauler I posted, maybe that will help with the location ? same building in the rear.

Sorry about the other guys car (Chaparral-Chevy) and hauler spoiling the view  ::)

Side-Oilers

Thanks for that pix. It's RIR.  The hills give it away.

Must be off Pigeon Pass Road, which was kind of a back way into the track. The main way in from Highway 60 was Day Street (and the big RIR sign would be visible in the pix.) 

You could also get in from Hwy 395, but that wouldn't have given this same viewpoint, IMO.
Current:

Previous:
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1957 T-Bird E-model

Richstang

Side-Oilers,
Thanks for confirming the location as Riverside. That is very helpful!

Honker,
Thanks for the follow up photo Mike.
Assuming the #66 Chaparral was there on the same day as the SAI transporter it might very well be the October 10th-11th weekend in 1964.
The 3hr Enduro & Riverside Grand Prix both took place that weekend (thanks to Kranky for that event date list).

gt350hr

OK now I see where it was taken. There was a building ( more like a small home) to the left of the entrance where there was enough room for a semi to park. Back then it was used for registration. It was literally the only place on the track property where trees were except beyond turn 9. The additional picture , I now believe, does show Day street as it headed toward the freeway. The Riverside sign was behind turn 6 which I do not see in the photo. The rest of the track was barren for viewing and safety reasons Semis normally parked in the pit area in the center of the track at the start finish line.
   The cluster of trees really threw me for a loop.

Side-Oilers

Randy,
I believe you're correct on that being Day Street in the background. I had the order of my RIR streets jumbled. Pigeon Pass was one more road further east than Day. 

Pigeon Pass was also a back way out of the track, but wasn't used for ingress, IIHC.

Yes, the RIR sign was in back of Turn 6. 

Speaking of the sign:  After the track was sold, but before it was completely bulldozed into the shopping mall, I snagged two pieces of the RIR sign's orange geometric shapes that formed the tail of the arrows.  (My avatar shows them.) But where they are today is anybody's guess.  Lost in some house move I made, over the years.
Current:

Previous:
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1957 T-Bird E-model

gt350hr

The tower on the back straight ( used for the drag racing) is now at the Pomona race track ( and has been for many years) . I have allot of memorabilia from the track . Tickets , Nascar garage passes , a Winston cup banner from the last Nascar race there. Too much to keep , may hit the auction block soon.
   Randy

6R07mi

Cab #1 - '63 Ford N650 Super Duty, red - CA plate "6308 CD" (1963-3-23 Sebring, 63-7-6 Lake Garnett, 63-9-8 Road America, 63-9-15 Bridgehampton)

Louis Galanos photo : https://flic.kr/p/9yYEYx

regards,

jim p
Former owner 6S283, 70 "Boss351", 66 GT 6F07, 67 FB GT
current: 66 GT former day 2 track car 6R07
20+ yrs Ford Parts Mgr, now Meritor Defense

98SVT - was 06GT

Quote from: gt350hr on November 28, 2018, 11:24:33 AM
   The tower on the back straight ( used for the drag racing) is now at the Pomona race track ( and has been for many years) . I have allot of memorabilia from the track . Tickets , Nascar garage passes , a Winston cup banner from the last Nascar race there. Too much to keep , may hit the auction block soon.
   Randy
A fireman friend was stationed at the Fairgrounds. He had a horse ranch where his wife taught jumping. The old Pomona tower became their judges stand.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

Szabo

Quote from: Richstang on March 28, 2018, 12:30:37 PM
Here's the other side of the cab showing off the MFG plate much clearer. The boxes and trash might indicate of move underway, but...

At first I thought this photo was taken behind the Carter Ave building, but there are no garage doors in sight. Strike one!
Then I thought it might be along the side of the Carter Ave building, but there is no window at the back corner. Strike two!
That only leaves Princeton Drive, but it couldn't be the front or side. So it has to be the back, but I've never seen any photos from that location. Surely it isn't as wide a building as the picture alludes to. I'm thinking the cab is parking in the perfect spot to hide the alley way in between to two buildings. There really isn't any other explanation I can think of.

Anyone else have some thought here?

Hello

I dont now if your Question is be answered.... but you right with Princeton Drive backside

I later will Male a own Princeton Drive Building Thread like i Don with Carter Building and then i van Proof that

Greets Steve

Quote from: Szabo on June 24, 2019, 09:38:02 AM
Here's the other side of the cab showing off the MFG plate much clearer. The boxes and trash might indicate of move underway, but...

At first I thought this photo was taken behind the Carter Ave building, but there are no garage doors in sight. Strike one!
Then I thought it might be along the side of the Carter Ave building, but there is no window at the back corner. Strike two!
That only leaves Princeton Drive, but it couldn't be the front or side. So it has to be the back, but I've never seen any photos from that location. Surely it isn't as wide a building as the picture alludes to. I'm thinking the cab is parking in the perfect spot to hide the alley way in between to two buildings. There really isn't any other explanation I can think of.

Hello

I dont now if your Question is be answered.... but you right with Princeton Drive backside

I later will Male a own Princeton Drive Building Thread like i Don with Carter Building and then i van Proof that

Greets Steve
.   Huh???

Richstang

Quote from: 557 on June 24, 2019, 12:36:40 PM
Quote from: Szabo on June 24, 2019, 09:38:02 AM

Hello

Greets Steve
.   Huh???

I thought Steve's reply was clear enough to understand, incase not, I understood it as;

"I don't know if your question was answered, but you're right with the Princeton Drive backside (photo possibly in the back of the Princeton building)"
"Later I will make a Princeton Drive building thread like I did with the Carter Avenue Building. Then Van 'Side Oilers' can proof (review) that (since he was in there)."

I'd bet Steve's English is better than most of our German. I'm following him just fine.