News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Shelby American; USA Transporters and Service Vehicles

Started by Richstang, March 16, 2018, 06:05:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richstang

Next are the F-Series pickups.

I'm going to take a step back to the white CS Enterprise INC F250. There appear to be more than one truck used. A second white pickup with a Goodyear logo appears at Laguna Seca in 1963. It was parked on the other side of the King Cobra pictures in reply #11. Another photo shows both trucks parked side by side in the pits. I guess the mismatched bed was sold that way from Ford in '63.

1967 Shelby Research Group 

www.1967ShelbyResearch.com
www.facebook.com/groups/1967shelbyresearch

1991-1993 SAAC MKI, MKII, & Snake Registrar

Richstang

In November 1963 this new F-series pickup shows up in front of Princeton Drive with a single trailer. There's no lettering on the door or bed, yet. What did they do with that Daytona buck. I mean, where would they be taking it?
(Can you imagine working next door at the Plastiglide building? I would've been fired for gazing across the lot.)

Richstang

Here the F-Series pickup (F250?) shows up at Riverside with lettering on the door and bed. It looks like the frame is bent with the cab and bed alignment pointing down in the center. There's that Falcon (IRS?) again with the King Cobra CM/3-63.

honker

Rich, great photo of the King Cobra at Riverside, with the pick up.
Am I correct in thinking that Falcon was the test mule for the GT 350 chassis ?
I have a number of photos of it in my computer files, but have not seen that one before.

Thanks   8)  Mike

69mach351w

Quote from: Richstang on March 19, 2018, 03:49:09 PM
In November 1963 this new F-series pickup shows up in front of Princeton Drive with a single trailer. There's no lettering on the door or bed, yet. What did they do with that Daytona buck. I mean, where would they be taking it?
(Can you imagine working next door at the Plastiglide building? I would've been fired for gazing across the lot.)

Look at the RR tire!! It's not even in the trailer tire channel. Back then, I don't think they thought much about safe trailer towing from the photos we see here on the forum. Just to get from point A to B was important ;D

Richstang

Quote from: honker on March 19, 2018, 06:33:14 PM
Rich, great photo of the King Cobra at Riverside, with the pick up.
Am I correct in thinking that Falcon was the test mule for the GT 350 chassis ?
I have a number of photos of it in my computer files, but have not seen that one before.

Thanks   8)  Mike

It seems they were testing one of two Ford Developed IRS setups for the GT350.
I think that was the Don Pike T/A Falcon

98SVT - was 06GT

Quote from: honker on March 19, 2018, 06:33:14 PM
..... I think that was the Don Pike T/A Falcon

He ended up with it when SA got done with it.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

TA22 (Gary Goeringer)

re the Falcon(s).  I interviewed Don Pike for The Shelby American.   And I also interviewed Wally Peat for the same magazine.   The Falcon Don bought(for $1) was the white Falcon originally built by Holman Moody and was confirmed to run at Daytona in I believe in '64 (at the same time H/M ran the white 427 powered Fairlane).  After the Daytona event the white Falcon went back to Charlotte and drivetrain was removed.  After the '65 Daytona event, the Shelby transporter had a spot and this car was picked up and taken to Venice and prepared by Don and his brother for West Coast sedan events--it was painted a dark shade of blue--a Packard color, and eventually white again with red accents.......the car still exists in a collection in Peru.

The Guardsman Blue Falcon, seen in the photo above, was indeed the prototype IRS car.  Wally Peat was the crew chief on this car--although, depending upon who you speak with, others have claimed that title as well.  Ford built, Shelby modified.  Tested by Miles, Ginther and Lew Spencer.  Proof on concept and the parts were transferred to a Mustang in late '64 or early '65.  The disposition of this car is unknown...possibly sent back to H/M as a Ford asset and lost to history.............

...I'd be happy to hear other points of view and history

Richstang

Quote from: TA22 on March 20, 2018, 12:38:12 AM
re the Falcon(s).  I interviewed Don Pike for The Shelby American.   And I also interviewed Wally Peat for the same magazine.   The Falcon Don bought(for $1) was the white Falcon originally built by Holman Moody and was confirmed to run at Daytona in I believe in '64 (at the same time H/M ran the white 427 powered Fairlane).  After the Daytona event the white Falcon went back to Charlotte and drivetrain was removed.  After the '65 Daytona event, the Shelby transporter had a spot and this car was picked up and taken to Venice and prepared by Don and his brother for West Coast sedan events--it was painted a dark shade of blue--a Packard color, and eventually white again with red accents.......the car still exists in a collection in Peru.

The Guardsman Blue Falcon, seen in the photo above, was indeed the prototype IRS car.  Wally Peat was the crew chief on this car--although, depending upon who you speak with, others have claimed that title as well.  Ford built, Shelby modified.  Tested by Miles, Ginther and Lew Spencer.  Proof on concept and the parts were transferred to a Mustang in late '64 or early '65.  The disposition of this car is unknown...possibly sent back to H/M as a Ford asset and lost to history.............

...I'd be happy to hear other points of view and history

Thanks Gary, great info to the Falcon(s).

Richstang

The white trailer shows up again at Riverside on February 1 1964. It's still looking very rough but not for much longer.
We also get our first hint of the F250 Stake bed truck.

Richstang

Finally the trailer gets a fresh coat of paint matching the Daytona Coupe csx2287. I estimate this date at around February 10th.

Richstang

We also get a better look at the large "COBRA Powered by Ford" lettering on the F250 from reply #46.

Richstang

Stepping back a week or so, here's a better look at the F250 Stake bed . It appear to be a light blue metallic, the same as the pickup.

Bigfoot

RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI