Author Topic: 1967 Hood Pin/ Plates Orientation  (Read 3160 times)

Kent

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
1967 Hood Pin/ Plates Orientation
« on: August 10, 2020, 03:21:41 PM »
The orientation of the pin plates make me sick, I have seen many more 1967 Shelbys where the rivets were done not 12/3/6/9 o clock position but the Forum here says that would be correct. What is correct now?
SAAC Member from Germany and Owner of a unrestored 1967 Shelby GT500, 1968 1/2 Cobra Jetīs and some nice Mustang Fastbackīs 67/68

JD

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: 1967 Hood Pin/ Plates Orientation
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2020, 03:26:17 PM »
I think the judges are still looking for 12,3,6,9 (or N,E,S,W), many cars although restored are not necessarily correct. 

It seems many have had the plates relocated at some point in time and when restored (again?) they go back in the last holes or only holes visible.

(arrow is showing pin orientation)
« Last Edit: August 10, 2020, 03:28:47 PM by JD »
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

Kent

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2020, 03:28:28 PM »
Yes but when I see the pics of the survivour cars they also have it wrong the most times. Thats what really makes me nervous.
SAAC Member from Germany and Owner of a unrestored 1967 Shelby GT500, 1968 1/2 Cobra Jetīs and some nice Mustang Fastbackīs 67/68

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2020, 04:05:22 PM »
Yes but when I see the pics of the survivour cars they also have it wrong the most times. Thats what really makes me nervous.
Kent,if you see the orientation different then the vintage picture in reply #1 then the 67 survivor cars you are using as yardsticks most likely aren't quite the survivors you think they are .At least not survivors in that plate orientation respect. I have the highest confidence level that the picture in reply #1 represents the typical orientation based on historic evidence and observations. Of course if you don't trust the information you are getting here and are still nervous you have alternatives.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2020, 05:22:40 PM »

Would more unrestored examples help?  Each of the following are individual cars - have more ;)

Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Kent

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2020, 09:06:55 AM »
Ok now I feel better, really crazy that some dealers sell cars as correct and survivours  and have this mistake so clearly visible.

roddster

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2020, 10:22:13 AM »
   You have to study the evidence.  Which would mean that you look at it and take photos of the area with the paint off.  Where are the holes located?
  Of course there will be those who will state that, after fifty plus years, who is to say if the holes where not filled and re-drilled long ago.   If you are lucky, somebody at S/A drilled all the way through if you have one of the cars with the metal underlined hood.  Few cars are like that.  Seems there are a few outlyers in this.  The judges need to understand this.

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2020, 11:57:09 AM »
   You have to study the evidence.  Which would mean that you look at it and take photos of the area with the paint off.  Where are the holes located?
  Of course there will be those who will state that, after fifty plus years, who is to say if the holes where not filled and re-drilled long ago.   If you are lucky, somebody at S/A drilled all the way through if you have one of the cars with the metal underlined hood.  Few cars are like that.  Seems there are a few outlyers in this.  The judges need to understand this.
Rod , disregarding the present day observations on a variety of survivor examples there is numerous historical evidence in the form of vintage photographs to support the proper orientation across the entire year of production based on other external ques in the pictures. On the other hand evidence in the form of vintage pictures of the typical 65 orientation on a 67  (FYI yes the changed happened during the regular 66 production year) is not there . I hope that you understand that. ;)   
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2020, 12:04:18 PM »
Ok now I feel better, really crazy that some dealers sell cars as correct and survivours  and have this mistake so clearly visible.
Really crazy that some dealers sell cars as correct and survivours  and have this mistake so clearly visible? Go to any car auction,Ebay ,Hemmings ,EVERYWHERE and you will most likely see examples of the same thing. Some deceive on purpose , some rely on others wrong info and still others don't know what they don't know. Sorry to ruin Christmas. ::)

JD

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2020, 12:38:08 PM »
... some dealers sell cars as correct and survivors'  and have this mistake so clearly visible? Go to any car auction, Ebay, Hemmings, EVERYWHERE and you will most likely see examples of the same thing. Some deceive on purpose , some rely on others wrong info and still others don't know what they don't know. Sorry to ruin Christmas. ::)

Of course there will be those who will state that, after fifty plus years, who is to say if the holes where not filled and re-drilled long ago.   ...

^^^ yes,
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

Kent

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2020, 02:36:52 AM »
There are actually 3 original hoods for sale they all have the wrong orientation, I really wonder how many people re drilled the holes, thats crazy. And Bob you dont ruin my christmas I learned long long time ago to be really careful with what Iīm buying and always collect infos before I buy something where Iīm not 100% sure thats something a lot of people dont do today. I think Iīm pretty good with my car knowledge and I knew that the 12/9/6/3 orientation is the right one but I really always wondered that I see much more 67īs with the wrong orientation also on saac meets and for sale everywhere including the originals hoods for sale.