News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Fastest car of the 60s? Lambroghini Miura?

Started by 68stangcjfb, August 10, 2020, 05:23:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

68stangcjfb

I just saw an article on the fastest cars of each decade. It claims the Miura could go 175mph. Being the P400 was made from 1966 to 1969 and had 350 horsepower and a weight of around 2600 pounds, could it really go that fast? And wasn't a 427 powered Cobra or an SC just as fast? if not faster. If I recall from the book Shelby's wildlife, the race cars could top 190mph.
68 1/2 CJ Mustang GT FB auto 3.91s 68 1/2 CJ Torino GT FB 3.91s 60 Thunderbird 64 Falcon Sprint conv. 4Spd 65 Falcon Sedan Delivery 67 Fairlane 500 SW 428 4Spd, 68 Torino 4dr 95 Thunderbird SC. 89 F250 Supercab 2wd, 98 Mustang conv. 99 Jeep Cherokee 2002 Thunderbird. 96 Harley FLSTN Heritage Special

68stangcjfb

Just to add, final drive ratio, tire height & redline rpm should be part of the equation for cars when they were new.
68 1/2 CJ Mustang GT FB auto 3.91s 68 1/2 CJ Torino GT FB 3.91s 60 Thunderbird 64 Falcon Sprint conv. 4Spd 65 Falcon Sedan Delivery 67 Fairlane 500 SW 428 4Spd, 68 Torino 4dr 95 Thunderbird SC. 89 F250 Supercab 2wd, 98 Mustang conv. 99 Jeep Cherokee 2002 Thunderbird. 96 Harley FLSTN Heritage Special

shelbydoug

Quote from: 68stangcjfb on August 10, 2020, 06:34:59 PM
Just to add, final drive ratio, tire height & redline rpm should be part of the equation for cars when they were new.

I think the term of the Cobra race cars, the roadsters, was "pushing a brick against the wind"? Might have been a "Miles-ism"?

That's ok because that led to the design of the Cobra "Daytonna" Coupe. Something like 20mph faster with the same drive train?

This was all the "early" days of aerodynamics in cars. Case in point was the first version of the GT40 which had come directly from the Lola GT and the first draft was a pretty bad airplane.

The height of that car might have been the Mark IV but as I recall the Mark IIB (Miles at Lemans) was faster.

I believe the last fastest number was 226 and it was at Lemans.

With all due respect to Ken Miles, the car I remember at Lemans was Gurney in the black MkII pulling away from the tracer place. Kind of like the Men's Giant downhill in skying. Just flat out all the way down a very steep grade. Awesome.

170's is around the speed F1 and Indy cars were running at the time. Maybe 180 for the fastest ones. So yea, 176 for a STREET GT was fast. Still is. They weren't computer operated video games like some are today. The steering wheel jiggles around in your hands. The car vibrates and your eyes go blurry as a result.

It's an uncomfortable vibration. Not like a strato-lounger.

68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Although I consider the Miura (SV) to be the most beautiful car ever penned, It wouldn't hold a candle to the GT40 in terms of all out speed.

If it indeed made it to 175, I would guess it would take several miles to get up to that speed and the lift would be so incredible, you may not have much steering input, if any at all.

The front engine Daytona was a 170 mph car and it had a couple of aerodynamic advantages at that speed.

FL SAAC

Stock cars probably the 1960s 427 AC Cobras 1/4 mile, 0 to 60 and top end depending on gearing. Unbeatable if they hooked up.

Many would argue that it was not a mass produced vehicle.

But my vote goes to the Cobra

Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

gt350shelb

it may be a  170 mph car  but  it takes practice  not to set air filters  on fire when you start  them :)
Some where some one is driving their collector car for the last time but they don't know it . Drive your car every time like it could be the last memory of it .

shelbydoug

Quote from: 2112 on August 10, 2020, 08:07:01 PM
Although I consider the Miura (SV) to be the most beautiful car ever penned, It wouldn't hold a candle to the GT40 in terms of all out speed.

If it indeed made it to 175, I would guess it would take several miles to get up to that speed and the lift would be so incredible, you may not have much steering input, if any at all.

The front engine Daytona was a 170 mph car and it had a couple of aerodynamic advantages at that speed.

Not at all. First off the Miura is not a dedicated race car. A GT40 is.

If we are talking pure stock as delivered, it may need some help, yes.

Take for example Panteras. Pure stock they are about a 150 mph car. With pure stock limitations removed, they run up to 198.

Now that is a GT, not a race car.

When the Pantera was evaluated for for as a race car by  Carroll Smith, that was the issue. The street GT format did not lend itself well to pure race situations.

So comparing a street car to a race car is like apples and oranges.

Now when it comes to Cobras, the basic design is so basic that it is simpler to take it racing BUT it never could compete in the class with the factory prototypes. The 'GT40 could.

Carb fires? The reason 48ida's are run with no filters on a v-8 is because of the fuel reversion from the cam timing on an individual runner intake manifold.

V12's would only have issue, and less issue at that, if they were using individual runner intakes with a cam timing that pressurizes the intake plenum to aid in pushing fuel into the next opening intake.

Ferrari v12s don't have that issue. 991s Porsches don't either.

68 GT350 Lives Matter!

shelbydoug

68 GT350 Lives Matter!

427hunter

The Cobra, 68 Ferrari Daytona and the 69 dodge Daytona were as fast  ;)- BTW The only period test on the miura that I know of said is reached 171 mph as I recall. Great looking car though !

Also Lamborghini says it's top speed was 173.9 mph

https://www.lamborghini.com/en-en/brand/masterpieces/miura
"You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means"

Inigo Montoya

"This life's hard, man, but it's harder if you're stupid"

Jackie Brown

2000 hours of my life stolen by 602 over three years

shelbydoug

68 GT350 Lives Matter!

gt350shelb

Quote from: shelbydoug on August 11, 2020, 09:24:58 AM

Carb fires? The reason 48ida's are run with no filters on a v-8 is because of the fuel reversion from the cam timing on an individual runner intake manifold.

V12's would only have issue, and less issue at that, if they were using individual runner intakes with a cam timing that pressurizes the intake plenum to aid in pushing fuel into the next opening intake.

Ferrari v12s don't have that issue. 991s Porsches don't either.

Almost Every lambo  has a fire suppression system  ( usually  plumbed into air box bottom )  We  had a customer start his car  after restoration  and  set filters on fire  .... in drive way of restoration shop ! thankfully "someone" had the  presence of mind to grab a halon  extinguisher .   before it was a real problem . 
Some where some one is driving their collector car for the last time but they don't know it . Drive your car every time like it could be the last memory of it .

68stangcjfb

I guess the question is could a '66 street spec 427 Cobra with a 425 horsepower rating or maybe an SC with a 485 horsepower rating with 3.08 gears and 8.15-15 tires that are 28' tall get to 6500 rpm in 4th gear? If it could, it would be going 176mph. Does the engine have enough power to push that roadster body through the wind & were there many drivers willing to keep their foot into it?

shelbydoug

Quote from: 68stangcjfb on August 11, 2020, 05:06:41 PM
I guess the question is could a '66 street spec 427 Cobra with a 425 horsepower rating or maybe an SC with a 485 horsepower rating with 3.08 gears and 8.15-15 tires that are 28' tall get to 6500 rpm in 4th gear? If it could, it would be going 176mph. Does the engine have enough power to push that roadster body through the wind & were there many drivers willing to keep their foot into it?

Completely stop probably no. Is an S/C stock? I'm sure Dick Smith's had a little extra umph.

I was on Pocono at 176 and he passed me like I was standing still. I would say he was very close to 200 at that point. Probably closer to 650hp in his engine?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!