News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Headers!!!!!!

Started by tonys_shelby, August 11, 2020, 10:26:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shelbydoug

Quote from: Side-Oilers on August 22, 2020, 03:52:13 PM
I realize that Stan isn't always the easiest guy to talk with.   :D    But the headers I bought from him for my KR fit easily, have great ground clearance (the bellhousing is lower to the ground than the collectors) and I haven't had any loose header bolts.

BTW: My car does not have P/S, P/B or A/C.    It does have a hydraulic clutch.

You don't speak to Stan. He grants you audience. Then if you ask him something he doesn't like,  do they fit a manual transmission car, he goes apeshit.

That's not a stupid question regardless of how he feels about it and the actual answer is only if you use a hydraulic clutch.

I don't need to call anyone to take abuse. I can get that here at home.

What's the difference how low the collectors are? The c6 pan is even with them. I will point out that they are only "low" by about 1/2 the thickness of a primary tube or stated another way, they could only go up about another inch.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Side-Oilers

Just giving a description of the fit on my particular car.  I'm no fan of Stan's phone demeanor either.   Never met him in person. 
But I do like his headers. 
My car has a Top-Loader.
Current:
2006 FGT, Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs. Top Speed Certified 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra 427.  482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Previous:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model

shelbydoug

Quote from: Side-Oilers on August 22, 2020, 05:25:35 PM
Just giving a description of the fit on my particular car.  I'm no fan of Stan's phone demeanor either.   Never met him in person. 
But I do like his headers. 
My car has a Top-Loader.

OK. Do they fit the stock clutch linkage?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Side-Oilers

Can't recall.  I didn't do the install.   It was about 6 years ago. 

I do know that it took some trial and error to get a clutch master cylinder that would do the job. 
Current:
2006 FGT, Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs. Top Speed Certified 210.7 mph.

Previous:
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1957 T-Bird E-model

shelbydoug

Quote from: Side-Oilers on August 22, 2020, 05:54:30 PM
Can't recall.  I didn't do the install.   It was about 6 years ago. 

I do know that it took some trial and error to get a clutch master cylinder that would do the job.

So the answer is no, they use a hydraulic clutch or an automatic transmission.

That is the answer Stan gave me as well. So with a manual trans, they are hardly just simple "bolt-ons".

The Hookers aren't necessarily too low. It is the angle of the collectors pointing down that causes the concern. I'd rather "adjust" the collectors rather then modify the car further.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Side-Oilers

I get you, Doug.  My header install was on a new S-O engine, so we dropped it in.  The details of the clutch had faded into my foggy memory, but what you point out is correct. 

Stan never yelled at me over the phone. But I have heard numerous horror stories about the guy.  I would've hung up if he had, and bought something else. 

A pal with a '67 GT500 with a S-O did the same thing as I did to install Stan's headers. Stan didn't yell at him either.  I guess we both got him on a good day.

Bottom line is that I like the headers.  Stan is a jerk. That about covers my experience. 
Current:

Previous:
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1957 T-Bird E-model

shelbydoug

Quote from: Side-Oilers on August 23, 2020, 03:36:28 PM
I get you, Doug.  My header install was on a new S-O engine, so we dropped it in.  The details of the clutch had faded into my foggy memory, but what you point out is correct. 

Stan never yelled at me over the phone. But I have heard numerous horror stories about the guy.  I would've hung up if he had, and bought something else. 

A pal with a '67 GT500 with a S-O did the same thing as I did to install Stan's headers. Stan didn't yell at him either.  I guess we both got him on a good day.

Bottom line is that I like the headers.  Stan is a jerk. That about covers my experience.

I don't care about Stan. Maybe I got him on a good day?

He gave me the information that I needed and I didn't buy his headers. Incidentally, at that point the price was no longer listed on the web page and it said call for pricing.

Part of the discussion on his part was, "I won't sell you my headers". I still don't know what they cost?

I'm using the stock clutch linkage in my 67 GT500 so his headers won't fit my application and there seems to be a general fog that some posters are in thinking that they mysteriously will fit their cars with the stock linkage.

I'll just stay out of it in the future and let everyone learn on their own by hard knocks.  8)
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Side-Oilers

Quote from: shelbydoug on August 23, 2020, 03:47:15 PM
Quote from: Side-Oilers on August 23, 2020, 03:36:28 PM

I don't care about Stan. Maybe I got him on a good day?

He gave me the information that I needed and I didn't buy his headers. Incidentally, at that point the price was no longer listed on the web page and it said call for pricing.

Part of the discussion on his part was, "I won't sell you my headers". I still don't know what they cost?

I'm using the stock clutch linkage in my 67 GT500 so his headers won't fit my application and there seems to be a general fog that some posters are in thinking that they mysteriously will fit their cars with the stock linkage.

I'll just stay out of it in the future and let everyone learn on their own by hard knocks.  8)

I agree that you can't use the stock clutch linkage on a FE with Stan's headers.  (At least not on my KR.)
I have no experience with any other engine/header/steering/trans/radio/upholstery color combination in this regard.
Current:

Previous:
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1957 T-Bird E-model

67gt500

Doug, FPA headers do fit with the stock linkage.. I run them on my 67 GT 500 with the factory Z bar..
They do require a couple of small mods.. One is, one pipe runs close to the block skirt.. fixed that with a file.. The other was the bottom of the Z bar, I filed that too as a precaution, as it seemed to run close to one of the pipes..
The biggest issue I hade was the passenger side.. the top bolt from the idler arm touches one pipe..

SFM5S000

Quote from: shelbydoug on August 22, 2020, 01:38:43 PM
Quote from: SFM5S000 on August 22, 2020, 10:29:08 AM
Has anyone bought and installed a set of JBA 6610S into an early 65/66? I'm shopping for headers these days looking to replace a set of "nut dragging (hang too low)" Hooker Super Comps. I don't care for Shelby tri-y's (Too restrictive) but being too cheap for Cobra Auto's custom tri-y'. Doug's tri-y's are ugly to me. So... looking to hear feedback if anyone has gone the JBA route.
Thanks,
~Earl J

On my '68. Not what you asked but they told me they were made to fit, 65 through 70 Mustang small blocks.

I can also tell you that they revised the left side to clear the Pitman arm on #5.

I don't know what the difference is with the "quick steering kit" on an early car.

Randy has already commented that even the original tri-y's hit there and speculated it was because the original pattern was made on the regular steering idler and Pitman?

Hello Doug,

On occasion you'll post a pic. Could you post a pic of the top of your 6610 JBA's in relation to the shock towers? Both sides. Nothing else.
I found a guy who installed a set of 6610 JBA's on an early 66 (GT350 probably and more than likely a replica/clone) that looks like a T5 and Global West front suspension uppers and lowers. From the photos he's also running a hydraulic clutch.
What interests me is how tucked up the primaries and collectors are. (Side view pic) As well as a few pics of the steering box area from the bottom.
I have no idea who owns this car, but he took photos that are useful to me.
Can you tell I'm leaning this route but will retain the stock clutch linkage (z-bar etc.) is my intent.

Thanks,
~Earl J

shelbydoug

Manana. Too late for today.

I think that Randy has them right now on his '66 but sure, tomorrow.

I screwed around with the z-bars then finally made my own so expect some work there.

Believe it or not, the biggest problem is with the spark plug access on #2 and #3. I had to grind down a spark plug socket to clear the tubes there with the AFR heads.

I had them on the stock iron heads also without this problem so I suspect that AFR changed the angle of the plugs a little?

It's still tight and I've broken the porcelain on those plugs several times as well os #8.

You are correct in that they do tuck up very well. Mine is a lowered car too so everything helps.
Those pictures that you just posted are very accurate with showing the clearances.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

SFM5S000

That would be great. No rush, at your leisure.
I think you're right about Randy running these. If he sees this post he might chime in.
For comparison I'll post a side pic of how low Hooker Super Comps hang after my morning errands.
The heads on my car are Louie Unser ported HiPo heads according to Randy, based on the head porters stamps. According to Randy, Louie Unser did port work for SAI in later years, I'm guessing for some of the Group I/II sedans in addition to Valley Head Service, Mondello and I forget the other company.

~E

shelbydoug

There are no points of clearance issues from the top. The tubes are all clearanced well enough  and the headers slip in easily during installation.

No problems other then the plugs I mentioned which MAY be an AFR issue rather then a JBA issue.

I'd recommend them to you but I'd wait for Randy's input.

In all fairness to JBA, they are 1-3/4" primary tubes. Hookers, which I had on the car are smaller. Like Dolly said, "this is what you get when you put ten pounds of mud in a five pound sugar sack"?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

SFM5S000

Thanks for doing that! You have clearance for days, wow.
The Hookers have 1 5/8" primaries where the JBA's have 1 3/4".
This is what I hate about the Hookers. They hang so low (see pic). Compare that to the pic above...
Thanks again for doing that.

~E

shelbydoug

Quote from: SFM5S000 on August 24, 2020, 02:03:10 PM
Thanks for doing that! You have clearance for days, wow.
The Hookers have 1 5/8" primaries where the JBA's have 1 3/4".
This is what I hate about the Hookers. They hang so low (see pic).
Thanks again for doing that.

~E

Yes. Plenty on top. On the bottom where they turn to the back, the right side is close to the chassis rail and the left side is close at the steering box. You couldn't fit a finger in between but then all they need is a little clearance which is what they have.

The pictures that you posted are accurate as far as clearances go. When the car is on the ground you just see the end of the collector near the flange. If you look at the top of the collectors they are close to the floor reinforcement. Within maybe 3/8" so they really couldn't go very mush higher.

I like the bigger primary tubes. I've had as large as 2" primaries when running "Boss heads". Those headers actually fit better even with the bigger tubes. Those were 3-1/2" collectors too.

I use the bottom of the bellhouse and the bottom of the square floor reinforcements as where the limit of the bottom of the headers should be.

I ALMOST took my torch and cut and raised the Hookers but the bigger JBA tubes convinced me of a different course of action.

I'd be surprized if you didn't like the JBA's. I'll remind you though that my first set had to be sent back because the Pitman arm hit the #5 tube and the car couldn't turn left even 1%.

The design has been corrected on this set though so make sure yours are not old stock and are fresh.

68 GT350 Lives Matter!