Author Topic: Help Identifying a car  (Read 5675 times)

10sbums

• View Profile
Re: Help Identifying a car
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2020, 04:55:29 PM »
what did you enter to get that?  I put the VIN in and didn't get too much of anything that helped.

davez

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2020, 05:18:33 PM »
5R5 must be the world manufacturer identifier  for  Superformance

propayne

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2020, 05:29:26 PM »
From what I've heard and read, Superformance makes high quality vehicles.

Hopefully it wasn't wreck too badly.

Good luck!!

- Phillip
President, Delmarva Cougar Club - Brand Manager, Cougar Club of America

Bill

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2020, 05:44:16 PM »
Car already sold at Copart
The pictures tell the tale  ::)

Instead of being part of the problem, be part of a successful solution.
HOW TO IDENTIFY A FORUM TROLL
https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=16401.0

SBCARGUY

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2020, 06:07:24 PM »
Hope it was seriously cheap...  8) 8)

• 1967 gt500 since 82 NFS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2020, 06:32:41 PM »
Glad I wasn’t in it when whatever happened happened.Not pretty...

SunDude

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2020, 08:38:11 PM »
@SunDude.

Thank you!  How is it that you know it's a Superformance MkIII and the approx vintage?

I own a Superformance Cobra too, and the poor owner of that particular car is a member of the owner's club.

5R5 must be the world manufacturer identifier for Superformance

No, that's not it. Not sure what that 5R5 number signifies.

Superformance cars don't have a 17-digit VIN like a regular production vehicle. Its cars are numbered as SP0xxxx where xxxx is the four-digit serial number.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2020, 08:40:32 PM by SunDude »
Like my father, I have just two emotions: Rage and Supressed Rage.

10sbums

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2020, 11:34:56 PM »
@SunDude

You know the prior owner of this car?!  Is there any chance you can connect me with him?  I would love to know the history and circumstances of the car.  Not sure if it's revivable or not yet, but would really like to know more about it.  Well...to be honest, anything about it would be more than I know at this point!

Thank you!
Rick

Bill

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2020, 05:59:44 AM »
@SunDude

You know the prior owner of this car?!  Is there any chance you can connect me with him?  I would love to know the history and circumstances of the car.  Not sure if it's revivable or not yet, but would really like to know more about it.  Well...to be honest, anything about it would be more than I know at this point!

Thank you!
Rick

Rick,

The damage to the frame goes from front right to left rear, and the inheritance twist has to be repaired before anything else is. Without the proper repair, it will be like putting lipstick on a pig. First thing you need to do is get it on a frame rack, the torsional twist, while not apparent to your eyes, is to mine. I've owned a few cobra replicas, several of them were SPF's. While your quest to speak with the owner is obvious, I'm suspecting the owner will not know more than the insurance company totaled the car and the reason for it, which I've already mentioned at the start of this reply. I say this as most owners are not mechanics, and would not know what they were looking at, even when pointed out to them in regards to the chassis issues. Finally, in addition to this forum, you may want to start a thread on clubcobra dot com. Make certain to premise it with "I just bought this" as you'll get started on the right foot there with it's knowledgeable members.
If it was my project, this is how it would go, you do not need to pull the body, but I would.

Step one: pull the body
Step two: Get it to a shop with a frame rack that they use laser measuring tools
Step three: that will depend on the results of step two.

Enjoy the experience either way it goes.

Bill
Instead of being part of the problem, be part of a successful solution.
HOW TO IDENTIFY A FORUM TROLL
https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=16401.0

SunDude

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2020, 07:15:20 AM »
Rick, I don't really know the previous owner personally (we're just on the same owners forum), but I know who he is.

If you PM me your contact info (email address), I will pass it along and ask him to contact you if he's willing.

But, as Bill says above, I'm not sure what he can tell you about the repairs needed to the car.

@SunDude

Thank you!
Rick
Like my father, I have just two emotions: Rage and Supressed Rage.

10sbums

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2020, 12:02:41 PM »
Thank you, Bill.  I sincerely appreciate the input.

Fortunately, I do have over 30 years experience working on collision damaged cars and do have a high tech digital frame rack.  I definitely will pull the body off the car as I can see it not only better from a quality standpoint, but also from a workability/access point of view. 

My desire to speak to the owner was to find out more about the car and not so much about the accident itself.  I would love to know all that was done and put into it over the years.  It's clear to me that by and large, Cobra owners take care of their cars and invest a lot into them.  That said, I'm curious what this one has. 

Unless there are some unforeseen circumstances, this girls will get the proper care and treatment and will be back on the road enjoying the SoCal sun!

By the way, I have since been connected to the prior owner thank you to someone on the forum.

Warmly,
Rick