Author Topic: 70 GT500 conv. antenna ?  (Read 4385 times)

Bat-turn

• View Profile
    • rickyoungoutdoors
70 GT500 conv. antenna ?
« on: August 13, 2020, 02:33:19 PM »
Hi,
I've owned my car since 77 and the antenna has always been on the drivers side.  Does that seem correct you you guys?  Second thing is I replaced it with what I was told to be original style for Shelby.  I did that in 1979, Now I'm repainting the car and really question the correct antenna. I will attach some photos for your opinions.  Thanks in advance for your thoughts

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
  • The original Influencer
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
Re: 70 GT500 conv. antenna ?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2020, 03:04:02 PM »
It doesn’t appear to be the correct style.

Dealers could install antennas where they liked, but this was a common place

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2020, 03:21:05 PM »
Hi,
I've owned my car since 77 and the antenna has always been on the drivers side.  Does that seem correct you you guys?  Second thing is I replaced it with what I was told to be original style for Shelby.  I did that in 1979, Now I'm repainting the car and really question the correct antenna. I will attach some photos for your opinions.  Thanks in advance for your thoughts
Typical location for 69/70 convert. The location varied somewhat as it was installed by the dealer after delivery. The antenna looks like a service replacement and is different then the factory supplied antenna that was to be installed.The factory antenna has a distinct shaft,hold down nut shape and screw in coaxial cable lower section.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2020, 03:27:51 PM by Bob Gaines »
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Bat-turn

• View Profile
    • rickyoungoutdoors
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2020, 03:30:00 PM »
Thank you both for your response, I need now to locate and replace what I have.

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2020, 03:50:25 PM »
Thank you both for your response, I need now to locate and replace what I have.
FYI they are rare and hard to find .There is a seller that occasionally sells them on ebay for 450.00-500.00 .They are made up of correct parts and look exact but the only shortcoming is that they lack the internal connection to connect the mast to the coaxial cable like a normal antenna does. This situation renders it useless for receiving signal. It only provides the reception that your radio would receive if no antenna was plugged in . It is for show only. Also keep in mind that if you are fortunate enough to find a genuine original that will work as normal you will also need the special one piece screw in coaxial cable . The cable you presently have is made into the antenna and typically has a shorter length that plugs into a extension that runs the rest of the way to your radio.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Special Ed

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2020, 06:03:22 PM »
Ford never serviced the original 69 Shelby pm300 (Pontiac motors) rear mount antenna  and the service antennas were totally different than the antenna that was shipped in trunk when new.

Bat-turn

• View Profile
    • rickyoungoutdoors
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2020, 06:04:37 PM »
Thank you Bob, I doubt ill go 500 bucks.  In your mind the best reproduction one that works is?  Maybe what T Branda offers.   

Bat-turn

• View Profile
    • rickyoungoutdoors
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2020, 06:07:40 PM »
Ed,
Then what your saying is not all antennas would have been the same.  Basically what the dealers thought looked good or what was in stock.

Bat-turn

• View Profile
    • rickyoungoutdoors
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2020, 06:53:43 PM »
Bob,
Looking at what I have it is very close to the image you showed for a 69 part.  The jamb nut is different and I may have never received the support brace in 1978 when I bought it from Burwell's in Portland Oregon. There were very few reproduction parts at that time.  So I can only guess this could be one of the after market units that was being installed by dealers in that era.  My set of keys even have the same black zip tie as shown in your photo.  I may just make a support arm as shown in your photo and call it close enough. Thoughts?

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2020, 07:16:41 PM »
Bob,
Looking at what I have it is very close to the image you showed for a 69 part.  The jamb nut is different and I may have never received the support brace in 1978 when I bought it from Burwell's in Portland Oregon. There were very few reproduction parts at that time.  So I can only guess this could be one of the after market units that was being installed by dealers in that era.  My set of keys even have the same black zip tie as shown in your photo.  I may just make a support arm as shown in your photo and call it close enough. Thoughts?
Not Ed but what he is saying is that Ford only had the one antenna designated for the 69/70 Shelby. It was included with the car when shipped to the dealer. That is what was used. There was no reason for the dealer to source another antenna unless it got broke at the dealer which could happen but not likely. If it got bent or broke after the fact  then a owner would use whatever was available because one exactly like the original was not available through Ford. If a owner went to the Ford dealer which was likely then there were alternatives replacement antennas. The picture I posted with the C9ZZ on the bag was one of the whatever examples. Many full size Ford cars used a optional electric antenna which also found it's way onto many Shelby's as another whatever over the counter non assemblyline alternative.  The other posted picture is what is expected to be seen as factory original on 69/70 Shelby. If you can't find one or don't want to go to the expense of a genuine antenna then I would brace it in the trunk and call it good given there are not many if any other alternatives that look better then what you got. Just my opinion others may have a different one.

Bat-turn

• View Profile
    • rickyoungoutdoors
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2020, 07:43:25 PM »
Got it! Thank you
Rick

Mark500

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2020, 09:43:30 PM »
Do u still live around the Portland area? I have a repop and a real on one the shelf .

Special Ed

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2020, 10:45:40 PM »
The ford c5az-j is close to original with the long lead built into it designed for the rear of cars and I don't know why ford didn't use it instead of a Pontiac antenna but aosmith might had something to do with that choice since they were building GMs there as well. Remember the 69 Shelby was first ford car built with fiberglass fenders so grounding was a problem. Ward antenna co. made antennas for the big 3 but don't bother looking there as they been cleaned out of old inventory years ago and sadly a fire destroyed most of the old inventory after it was moved to another location.

Bat-turn

• View Profile
    • rickyoungoutdoors
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2020, 10:46:56 PM »
I do, live in the Boring OR area 503 702 5960 cell

Shelbypat

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2020, 08:17:01 PM »
 Anybody can confirm the cable coax routine.
 From the radio to right side of the car and then behind to rear wheel arch and then go back to left side by under the trunk carpet ?  Am I correct ?

Patrick
« Last Edit: August 17, 2020, 08:36:45 PM by Shelbypat »