Author Topic: 70 GT500 conv. antenna ?  (Read 4382 times)

Bat-turn

• View Profile
    • rickyoungoutdoors
Re: 70 GT500 conv. antenna ?
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2020, 08:37:24 PM »
My cable has always arrived in the trunk in front of the right wheel housing.  Crossed over to he drivers side with a joint fitting for EZ removal of antenna.

Dan Case

• CSX2310
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2020, 08:47:55 PM »
The ford c5az-j is close to original with the long lead built into it designed for the rear of cars and I don't know why ford didn't use it instead of a Pontiac antenna but aosmith might had something to do with that choice since they were building GMs there as well. Remember the 69 Shelby was first ford car built with fiberglass fenders so grounding was a problem. Ward antenna co. made antennas for the big 3 but don't bother looking there as they been cleaned out of old inventory years ago and sadly a fire destroyed most of the old inventory after it was moved to another location.

A possible connection was through Shelby's works in California 1963. Many changes in chassis made by AC Cars and finished cars from the California Cobra works went into effect at CSX2201 during  late 1963. At CSX2201 most of the electrical systems for Cobras was designed by Ford and provided by Ford suppliers in the USA. One of the things that changed at CSX2201 was the AM radio aerial and cable set.  Ward Products Corporation® had supplied aerials and cables for Cobras prior to CSX2201 but a new design was introduced in 1963 for CSX2201 and later chassis through 1965.

The antenna assemblies I see offered for 1969/70 Shelby GT350/GT500 cars are out of the cars extremely similar to what was installed in our Cobra by Shelby American in March 1964. The only easy way to tell the difference is to measure the body lengths under the car body.  The assemblies I have seen for Mustang chassis are literally too long to fit in the standard factory installation location in a Cobra.  In the 1990s one of the parts dealers was selling antennas claiming that they were correct for both late Cobras and the Shelby Mustangs. The one I bought was too long to fit inside the space available for a Cobra so I traded it off just a few years ago.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2020, 08:50:13 PM by Dan Case »
Dan Case
1964 Cobra owner since 1983, Cobra crazy since I saw my first one in the mid 1960s in Huntsville, AL.

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2020, 10:01:59 PM »
The ford c5az-j is close to original with the long lead built into it designed for the rear of cars and I don't know why ford didn't use it instead of a Pontiac antenna but aosmith might had something to do with that choice since they were building GMs there as well. Remember the 69 Shelby was first ford car built with fiberglass fenders so grounding was a problem. Ward antenna co. made antennas for the big 3 but don't bother looking there as they been cleaned out of old inventory years ago and sadly a fire destroyed most of the old inventory after it was moved to another location.

A possible connection was through Shelby's works in California 1963. Many changes in chassis made by AC Cars and finished cars from the California Cobra works went into effect at CSX2201 during  late 1963. At CSX2201 most of the electrical systems for Cobras was designed by Ford and provided by Ford suppliers in the USA. One of the things that changed at CSX2201 was the AM radio aerial and cable set.  Ward Products Corporation® had supplied aerials and cables for Cobras prior to CSX2201 but a new design was introduced in 1963 for CSX2201 and later chassis through 1965.

The antenna assemblies I see offered for 1969/70 Shelby GT350/GT500 cars are out of the cars extremely similar to what was installed in our Cobra by Shelby American in March 1964. The only easy way to tell the difference is to measure the body lengths under the car body.  The assemblies I have seen for Mustang chassis are literally too long to fit in the standard factory installation location in a Cobra.  In the 1990s one of the parts dealers was selling antennas claiming that they were correct for both late Cobras and the Shelby Mustangs. The one I bought was too long to fit inside the space available for a Cobra so I traded it off just a few years ago.
Dan, many times I have found the lower body on the PM300 antennas too long for the Mustang/Shelby trunk too. I have seen some that were apparently PM300 correct but later replacements with longer lower halves. They were mounted slanted so that they would fit because the owner didn't know any better way. You have to cut it off and re crimp the end for them to fit and look proper. Some of the masts had a pear shaped end and others the traditional ball shaped end. I used to think it was a early late difference but then found enough of each in the wrong time frame for me to change my point of view. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2020, 10:08:12 PM »
Anybody can confirm the cable coax routine.
 From the radio to right side of the car and then behind to rear wheel arch and then go back to left side by under the trunk carpet ?  Am I correct ?

Patrick
Since dealer installed it is possible that some installers took short cuts however coax cable more typically crossed over above the trunk inner structure.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2020, 10:14:04 PM »
My cable has always arrived in the trunk in front of the right wheel housing.  Crossed over to he drivers side with a joint fitting for EZ removal of antenna.
The cable included with the car was typically one continuous coax between the antenna and the radio. The coax had a screw on fitting directly into the antenna (see my previous picture).It couldn't get much easier then that.  ;)  If you have a antenna that does not have the screw in connector (coax made into lower half) and has a male and female connection (joint fitting?) in the trunk then it is not the factory antenna but some kind of replacement.

tgilliam

• View Profile
69/70 GT350 & GT500 Convert. Antenna
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2020, 02:36:50 PM »
In Response #3 there are pictures of an antenna, one which shows a brown paper bag with a C9ZZ and SM9 part number. In Response #9 there is a statement by Mr. Gaines: "owner would use whatever was available because one exactly like the original was not available through Ford. The picture I posted with the C9ZZ on the bag was one of the whatever examples".

In Ed's post he mentioned the 69/70 Shelby antenna was not serviced by Ford so I am confused by the brown bag "I assume" the pictured antenna came in. Did this bag come from the subcontractor to Ford and at some point were a few of these available from the original manufacturer? Does the paper bag and the antenna shown NOT go together but are two pieces of information? The pictured antenna does not appear to have the screw-in connection on the staff for the coax cable but otherwise looks very much like an original antenna. Can some additional information be provided?
Thank you for your time.

Tom Gilliam
(270) 755 - 6417   

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: 69/70 GT350 & GT500 Convert. Antenna
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2020, 02:57:27 PM »
In Response #3 there are pictures of an antenna, one which shows a brown paper bag with a C9ZZ and SM9 part number. In Response #9 there is a statement by Mr. Gaines: "owner would use whatever was available because one exactly like the original was not available through Ford. The picture I posted with the C9ZZ on the bag was one of the whatever examples".

In Ed's post he mentioned the 69/70 Shelby antenna was not serviced by Ford so I am confused by the brown bag "I assume" the pictured antenna came in. Did this bag come from the subcontractor to Ford and at some point were a few of these available from the original manufacturer? Does the paper bag and the antenna shown NOT go together but are two pieces of information? The pictured antenna does not appear to have the screw-in connection on the staff for the coax cable but otherwise looks very much like an original antenna. Can some additional information be provided?
Thank you for your time.

Tom Gilliam
(270) 755 - 6417   
Tom, since I was the one that posted the brown bag picture I will comment. For years the one in the brown bag I posted a picture of was the Ford replacement . Ed was the one that found them and brought them to my attention. I never paid that much attention to them otherwise because regardless of what they were they were not assemblyline so I didn't care much about them one way or the other. Wrong is wrong. If Ed has since changed his point of view on them being a replacement for whatever reason then he will have be the one to comment further. For what ever it is worth in concours assemblyline is what is expected not any kind of replacement. Hopefully that will explain to your satisfaction.

tgilliam

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2020, 09:31:15 PM »
Bob,
Thanks for the additional information and clarification on this point. I am going to have to find a "good" antenna for my car when I start working on it one of these days. Over the years I have heard about the brown bag or envelope with those part numbers on it. I had always had the impression it was an assembly line part that came in the trunk but did not get installed.

Tom Gilliam
(270) 755 -6417

TOBKOB

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2020, 09:41:00 PM »
The picture Bob posted of the antenna and brown paper bag I think is mine. I ordered it from Ford in 1979 and since it had the S9MS number I never opened it until I was about ready to install it and discovered it was not even close. The base was a lot smaller than the hole as well as just being incorrect. Luckily I was able to buy a couple of correct ones from Bob.
As you can see the paper is pretty brittle from age.

TOB
1969 GT350 owned since 1970

Special Ed

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2020, 10:19:31 PM »
I think the reason ford never serviced the assembly line PM 300 antenna is because its a Pontiac part that ford would have to buy from GM. Remember the 69 shelbys used fiberglass fenders so ford had to find an antenna that worked in rear quarter panel for a car that wasn't originally designed that way. If u want to find an original pm300 look to older Pontiacs as I have found some in old junk yards years ago.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2020, 10:28:35 PM by Special Ed »

alexgt350h

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2020, 12:23:23 PM »
I have a few of the Ward antennas like mentioned in post #16.
I can take measurements or pictures for anyone interested.
Brent

Special Ed

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2020, 03:28:04 PM »
The ford c5az-j antennas brent has are closest to factory antenna and they are a ford antenna that works especially if you are missing the long lead wire.