Author Topic: 045 factory frame markings  (Read 3948 times)

tomhawk

• View Profile
045 factory frame markings
« on: August 13, 2020, 11:02:22 PM »
 x on the frame by the 3 steering box bolts, Some 65s I see at conventions have the dk up higher on the radiator support. When was the change made on the assy. line?
« Last Edit: August 17, 2020, 09:16:30 PM by tomhawk »

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
Re: 045 factory frame markings
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2020, 05:00:44 AM »
Found some old photos of 045 during resto hard to see from the pics but on the front frame section is d k k then in the other pic is the x on the frame by the 3 steering box bolts, Some 65s I see at conventions have the dk up higher on the radiator support.

Marking such as this (the D's and K's on the front cross member) and others varied depended on the worker assigned to the task (typically the same guy every shift) and the shift. The X on the drivers side frame was pretty consistent no matter the shift. Not allot of options with that one.

If your seeing markers like letters or codes higher on the radiator support (visible over the black) they have been incorrectly applied.

Always good to seek out original unrestored cars and not concours cars in general for your research and comparison IMHO
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

tomhawk

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2020, 11:57:24 AM »
I thought that may have been a visual thing, having the markings higher. Also when I restored the car I noticed the emblem holes on the fenders had been plug welded from behind. Car was never apart before so I know it was the original process. I guess Ford would have welded the holes because the fenders would still need painted. I dont think it had the hipo 289 holes in the fenders. Have to find my old pics. One question I have also, can A Shelby be considered correct if  it has been base coat clear coated? I always used single stage, and still do.

tomhawk

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2020, 12:24:41 PM »
 045 had the early carpet and the vinyl strip glued to the inner rocker, 
« Last Edit: August 17, 2020, 09:19:49 PM by tomhawk »

Harris Speedster

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2020, 06:59:18 PM »
Tom hawk,
Cool car, and really neat having those factory markings.
Do make a cd of those and the entire car. Pics are cool, but actual footage is King.

About 25 years ago, I video taped one of the 65's I had, seems it was below car #140.
All original Texas car. pure red oxide underneath, original paint and a very virgin car.

Pretty sure it had all early traits and it had an unusual  special plate from Shelby.
Mr Vinnie, after a few years, found paperwork that backed up all the special goodies that had been
installed at Shelby's place, not dlr.
The actual  invoice ended up being the documentation.
Pretty sure a one and only

We tooth brushed every nook and highly hand cleaned it, we then videoed all the factory markings & the entire car, there were a lot of markings.

car number was even written on the frame rail, yellow crayon as I recall. All was videoed
Big Jim from Wi ended up flying out and purchased it.

Give or take, about 6 years ago I received a call from the owner of it at this time.
He had the video I made, and is what he used to track me down, pretty easy actually.
Maybe Big Jim kept a copy of it, unsure?
best,
John
Is this the first futuristic exotic in the world?
Size of an ac cobra, but built in 1935 !
https://www.autopuzzles.com/forum/features-stories-and-photos/harris-fwd-speedster-the-story/?PHPSESSID=v4pqtv6hep4ff4rvalrc9qsnj7

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2020, 07:16:01 PM »
...............car number was even written on the frame rail, yellow crayon as I recall. All was videoed............

Did it look like this?

« Last Edit: August 17, 2020, 04:23:16 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Harris Speedster

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2020, 09:39:32 AM »
Jeff,
The serial number marking was on the floor pan frame rail. I seem to think it was the drivers side.
Numbers about the same size as the ones you displayed.

There were some other markings on the rails by the a arms too.
markings on the front lower rad sup framing.
Part of a build sheet stuffed in the oval holes in the same lower rad frame piece, not from the Shelby though, for real
Dr door jam had 3 or 4
Trunk area inside had one of wheel house, as I recall.
Fender well by a arms, crayon again on the upper area, where a battery would be in the engine bay.

The hood had something on the underside too?
I will try and remember the car number, as I would be quite sure the owner has retained it.
john
https://www.autopuzzles.com/forum/features-stories-and-photos/harris-fwd-speedster-the-story/?PHPSESSID=v4pqtv6hep4ff4rvalrc9qsnj7

tomhawk

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2020, 09:34:36 AM »
045 had black floor pans. My pics arent the best but looks like on the left rail I can see 321 and other marks on the right looks like maybe 2 B.

Harris Speedster

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2020, 10:14:02 AM »
tomhawk,
Film and document all.
John

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2020, 02:46:45 PM »
045 had black floor pans. My pics arent the best but looks like on the left rail I can see 321 and other marks on the right looks like maybe 2 B.

We would sort of predict or expect to find a very dark gray/black from the firewall rearward given when you car was likely at San Jose. But always good to confirm another

The forward frame rail numbers like I posted identified the hook (different on both sides) that the fender for that particular car hug from. No letters were used in the pattern/reoccurring set of numbers and only certain numbers were used for the pattern . Quickly applied hand writing may explain some of the results
« Last Edit: August 16, 2020, 02:48:23 PM by J_Speegle »

Harris Speedster

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2020, 03:17:44 PM »
Jeff,
Being an old dog, now that you mention it, I have never seen anything but numbers scribbled on any Mustangs or Shelby's.

tomhawk, could 2 B possibly be 28 ?
Respectfully,
John

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2020, 03:58:30 PM »
Jeff,
Being an old dog, now that you mention it, I have never seen anything but numbers scribbled on any Mustangs or Shelby's.

tomhawk, could 2 B possibly be 28 ?

More likely IMHO a misshaped "3" since "8" were not a number that was used as part of the ID numbering on the hooks

Just like the "X" on the drivers side frame rail to indicate the tightening/torquing of the steering box bolts sloppy is not unusual. Often find only a single line, a "T" or inverted "T" when that worker or one of the other two weren't careful
« Last Edit: August 16, 2020, 04:00:43 PM by J_Speegle »

tomhawk

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2020, 06:46:51 PM »
Got the magnifying glass out. Looks like a 3.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2020, 09:21:40 PM by tomhawk »

Harris Speedster

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2020, 07:31:21 PM »
tomhawk,
excellent work.
Might be nice if the club started a topic area, which could be used for restores.
Little verbiage, but lots of detailed pics of what real original cars have.
Original meaning , just that.
Shots like Bob Perkins has, or yours tomhawk, JD the same.
I wished that I had a copy of that old video tape from the 90's/
Respectfully,
John

tomhawk

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2020, 08:12:21 PM »
john, Thanks for the kind words.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2020, 09:22:01 PM by tomhawk »