News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

045 factory frame markings

Started by tomhawk, August 13, 2020, 11:02:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J_Speegle

Quote from: tomhawk on August 16, 2020, 06:46:51 PM
Got the magnifying glass out. Looks like a 3. Also going back to the front frame markings. The k  on the driver side could even be an R.

Given the hundred or more that we've documented (same plant and year) real confident it's a poorly applied "K" Sometimes you get all "K's' and sometimes they are all bunched on one end or the other of the front cross member. Currently have about 10k pictures of paint marks but we (the community) often are concerned at posting since so many take the easy route and just copy what every is posted or seen in magazines - you remember those :)  Often with little regards to where or when their car or the car with the marks was built at.

Document and return only what was original on your car is the safest route and you will not lead others astray either ;)
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Harris Speedster

Jeff,
I see your point.
That is why I have continued to request tomhawk to video all he finds.
Patina and surrounding age can not be disputed then.
A picture is neat, but can be argued.
Why argue, when a movie shows all detail?

I still do not recall seeing any letters, but it has been 26 years since I dove into paint dabs and crayon marks.
I trust what you say Jeff.

It would be nice to figure out a way to keep the pictures and docs accumulated safe, but yet have it where a Shelby owner can verify to one specific designated person, >>>> WHAT they find, turn it in, and then be advised if there is any hocus pocus, and yet further the base of other Shelby markings?
Does that make sense?
Kind of like, give me the unit cons number, and we can tell you if it matches the Shelby number provided ?
Respectfully,
John
Is this the first futuristic exotic in the world?
Size of an ac cobra, but built in 1935 !
https://www.autopuzzles.com/forum/features-stories-and-photos/harris-fwd-speedster-the-story/?PHPSESSID=v4pqtv6hep4ff4rvalrc9qsnj7

tomhawk

I guess I wasnt thinking about monkey see monkey do when I posted the pics.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: J_Speegle on August 16, 2020, 11:43:19 PM
Quote from: tomhawk on August 16, 2020, 06:46:51 PM
Got the magnifying glass out. Looks like a 3. Also going back to the front frame markings. The k  on the driver side could even be an R.

Given the hundred or more that we've documented (same plant and year) real confident it's a poorly applied "K" Sometimes you get all "K's' and sometimes they are all bunched on one end or the other of the front cross member. Currently have about 10k pictures of paint marks but we (the community) often are concerned at posting since so many take the easy route and just copy what every is posted or seen in magazines - you remember those :)  Often with little regards to where or when their car or the car with the marks was built at.

Document and return only what was original on your car is the safest route and you will not lead others astray either ;)
+1 what he said . Jeff is doing fine no need for me to butt in.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

tomhawk

will delete the pics

tomhawk

I deleted the markings info.

J_Speegle

My posts are not meant to discourage any sharing and or learning from one another. Less and less original untouched cars everyday. Just offering that it's a two edge sword with benefits and negatives at the same time when we post publically.

The challenge is how to collect and share while minimizing the possible misuse. As far as I know there is no perfect answer or solution. Was bad enough when we only had shows and magazines. The internet has at least, doubled or tripled the affects IMHO.

Often the marks fall into the "commonly seen/found" and those less often or never recorded before. Many of the common ones, such as the fender numbers or the DSO  (speaking of 65-6 San Jose built cars) have been discussed many times. If they show up on other cars (years or plants) they are often called out and in show situations deducted for.

For the common marks I sometimes will post an example as I did earlier in this thread. The original picture I posted was not a typical marking but chosen since we were discussing the possibility of a 6 digit number was applied to a frame rail. Have changed that picture to illustrate a more commonly found pattern with a dash or space between the first and second group of numbers as found on the hooks.

Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge