News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

gt500kr distributor part number

Started by cbrown, August 15, 2020, 11:05:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cbrown

What is correct enginerring  number  for  68 gt500kr auto distributor?

thanks chris

Coralsnake

The most common is C8OF-12127-D

Very early or very late cars may differ

Coralsnake

SJS68

Is there any way of knowing which distributer was fitted to each car, my car has a dual points?

Coralsnake

The CJ distributors were single point

Rbwiii

Pete, when did you get promoted to Contelec CEO?

Coralsnake

When the owner, David Long passed away.

SJS68

OK, so the correct distributor for the 68 GT500KR is single point,,,

What is the correct one for the automatic? C7OF-12127-F

The 1968 distributor situation is interesting. The engineering numbers we've listed here are clearly documented in Ford literature, but we've received multiple reports from owners that describe finding the C8OF-D distributor with a single diaphragm vacuum advance on cars equipped with an automatic transmission. Coincidentally, Ford TSB number 1415 (dated 31 May 1968) describes the C8OF-D distributor being used with both manual and automatic transmissions. To top it all off, other owners have described finding the C8OF-J distributor on 1968 Mustangs!

Which one should I be looking for?

Cheers   

Coralsnake

The identification C8OF-D was used on both transmissions

The vacuum advance was a single unit on automatic transmissions and a dual vacuum unit was used on 4spd cars.

I have seen the C8OF-H on 4spd cars built at the end of production like yours. It would be feasible the C8OF-J was used on very late automatic cars.

I would not expect and have not seen the C7OF unit on very late built cars. I believe it was phased out very early in production.

The C8OF-D was by far the most common.

TLea

69mach351w

Quote from: SJS68 on August 30, 2020, 12:02:50 AM
OK, so the correct distributor for the 68 GT500KR is single point,,,

What is the correct one for the automatic? C7OF-12127-F

The 1968 distributor situation is interesting. The engineering numbers we've listed here are clearly documented in Ford literature, but we've received multiple reports from owners that describe finding the C8OF-D distributor with a single diaphragm vacuum advance on cars equipped with an automatic transmission. Coincidentally, Ford TSB number 1415 (dated 31 May 1968) describes the C8OF-D distributor being used with both manual and automatic transmissions. To top it all off, other owners have described finding the C8OF-J distributor on 1968 Mustangs!

Which one should I be looking for?

Cheers
See you been over on the 428 Comp ID?  Posted word-for-word ;D

https://428cobrajet.org/id-distributor

But there's nothing wrong with that. The 428 site Comp ID section... you cannot go wrong there.  A wealth of information.  Keep trucking 8)