Author Topic: 1968 Shelby GT500 KR Rare Special Orange Paint | 428 Cobra Jet 4-Speed  (Read 7412 times)

KR Convertible

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: 1968 Shelby GT500 KR Rare Special Orange Paint | 428 Cobra Jet 4-Speed
« Reply #30 on: August 19, 2020, 02:18:36 PM »
Not every car needs to be concours and yes the caution fan comments are stale.  But, when I see painted fender bolts, I think it reflects the quality of the work that has been done on the whole car.  Sure, you can try and change those fender bolts to make it look better, but you know that fender lip wasn't properly prepped for paint and it's going to chip off badly.  Just my $.02.

I think that IF CORRECTLY STATED, the color has been changed, is much more significant then if the fender bolts have been painted? Even so the car stands  for itself as is.

IF you're a buyer and you want 30 thousand knocked off the price because of that, good luck, but if you're just a tire kicker, why are you bothering? You're not buying the car, right?

If you want to debate that something else could be wrong with the car as a result of painted fender bolts, how about the connecting rod bolts not being tightened correctly?

Frankly, I think it's a ridiculous statement and you might as well talk about cosmic rays effecting the head gaskets?

My comment was not directed at this car.  It was about painted fender bolts being a shortcut and other half-assed practices.  It ranks right up there with using fiberglass to repair rotted out floorpans or chicken wire and Bondo to repair rust holes in body panels.  Again, NOT DIRECTED AT THIS CAR.

"Lighten up Francis"

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 19, 2020, 04:40:15 PM »
Not every car needs to be concours and yes the caution fan comments are stale.  But, when I see painted fender bolts, I think it reflects the quality of the work that has been done on the whole car.  Sure, you can try and change those fender bolts to make it look better, but you know that fender lip wasn't properly prepped for paint and it's going to chip off badly.  Just my $.02.

I think that IF CORRECTLY STATED, the color has been changed, is much more significant then if the fender bolts have been painted? Even so the car stands  for itself as is.

IF you're a buyer and you want 30 thousand knocked off the price because of that, good luck, but if you're just a tire kicker, why are you bothering? You're not buying the car, right?

If you want to debate that something else could be wrong with the car as a result of painted fender bolts, how about the connecting rod bolts not being tightened correctly?

Frankly, I think it's a ridiculous statement and you might as well talk about cosmic rays effecting the head gaskets?

My comment was not directed at this car.  It was about painted fender bolts being a shortcut and other half-assed practices.  It ranks right up there with using fiberglass to repair rotted out floorpans or chicken wire and Bondo to repair rust holes in body panels.  Again, NOT DIRECTED AT THIS CAR.

"Lighten up Francis"

I stand corrected and educated on the flashing light of painted fender bolts. I had no idea this was a major indicator of incompetence, deceit, treachery and dishonesty? I've only been doing this 48 years now. I've never heard of that before? Maybe it's regional?

I have noted this with a bright yellow highlight pen in my note pad. I hope I don't loose that.

Thank you for the education. Much appreciated.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
  • The original Influencer
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #32 on: August 19, 2020, 04:47:09 PM »
Hopefully Doug is writing that below where it says “take medication “ 🤗

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 19, 2020, 04:53:11 PM »
Hopefully Doug is writing that below where it says “take medication “ 🤗

What's good Pete?  ;)
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

SFM6S

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 19, 2020, 04:58:29 PM »
Thorazine?

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #35 on: August 19, 2020, 05:50:38 PM »
With whiskey!

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 19, 2020, 05:55:01 PM »
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

68krrrr

• SoCal Upland
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 19, 2020, 09:16:07 PM »
This is a forum to discuss Shelby's & i'm pretty sure thats what everyones doing ,if there weren't different opinions then there'd be no content here for us to read.I personally like the little details being pointed out because thats how i learn about those little details  ,otherwise some of them wouldn't even be bought up.I think there's room for everyone's opinions,  thats why i'm here .
« Last Edit: August 20, 2020, 12:03:16 AM by 68krrrr »
Current
1967 GT500 #1724
Nightmist Blue /Parchment
2005 Ford Gt Midnight blue
Porsche 911 Turbo 2007 Highly modified
1934 Ford Chopped & channeled

Previously owned
1968 GT500KR #03528 Lime green
1968 GT/CS

"Fly low & avoid the radar"
Thanks Adam

BGlover67

• SAAC Member
  • Formerly "My Shelby Dream"
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 19, 2020, 11:12:26 PM »
I posted this car is because it's rare.  All Shelby's are rare by definition, but thrown in it's a GT500 and a KR on top of that, and it's something special.  Top all that off with it being one of only 15 non-yellow special color '68 Shelby's and I love it.  There is a really great website describing these cars done by some guy named Coralsnake.  You might have seen it before.  If not, check it out:

http://www.thecoralsnake.com/SPECIALS.HTML
Thanks,
Brian R. Glover
SAAC Carolina's Northern Representative

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 20, 2020, 12:03:07 AM »
Still a beautiful car
Living RENT FREE in your minds...

Home of the Hertz Musketeers 

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.  It's jolted by every pebble on the road

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Life is short B happy

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #40 on: August 20, 2020, 07:02:39 AM »
Everyone here (with a few exceptions) is well intentioned

Unfortunately “pointing out details” is interpreted as “picking a car apart” in some people’s minds.

So, I am not sure where the happy medium is?

Happy to help out, through private emails or anyway possible. I am able and willing to point out the details

« Last Edit: August 20, 2020, 07:05:29 AM by Coralsnake »

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 20, 2020, 07:31:46 AM »
It is important to differentiate between opinion and fact.

It is important not to substitute one for the other.

It was 'Chicken Little's' opinion that the sky was falling. It wasn't fact.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

pbf777

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 20, 2020, 12:38:04 PM »
This is a forum to discuss Shelby's ..............................................I personally like the little details being pointed out because thats how i learn about those little details  ,otherwise some of them wouldn't even be bought up.

And I also feel that all input even that perhaps of a critical nature is or should be for the purpose of enlightenment, and if so is appreciated.             :)

Some of the comments here remind me of a scenario of perhaps a woman posting a photograph of herself on a dating site, and then upset if anyone would comment on her not putting forth any effort in primping up a bit for the presentation.           ::)

After all, it is, what it is, and to comment, or not, doesn't change this; but the opportunity to educate, or to be educated shouldn't be missed.               :)

Scott.

Rickmustang

• SAAC Member
  • "What's behind you, doesn't matter"
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 20, 2020, 01:35:47 PM »
I owned a what I think is a special paint KR in the late 1980's. Royal Maroon. Stolen from the person I sold it to after restoration and as far as I know never recovered.
1965 G.T. 350
1967 Fairlane GT - 390 4-speed
1970 Mach 1 - 428CJ 4-speed/AC
1971 Mach 1 - 429CJ auto/AC
2005 Ford GT

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #44 on: August 20, 2020, 06:30:17 PM »
Technically, Royal Maroon was a production color. It was not a "special paint" color as defined by Shelby memos.

It is as rare as most special colors !

If you give me three guesses, I can guess the car number.  ;D
« Last Edit: August 20, 2020, 07:31:31 PM by Coralsnake »