News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

67 GT500 Thermostat housing

Started by shelbydoug, March 17, 2018, 06:13:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shelbydoug

Not on a 67 or later manifold. That is for the large diameter thermostat.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Vcode

Quote from: shelbydoug on March 28, 2018, 06:39:27 AM

oh - your right you need the smaller hole size.
Sorry.

Bob Gaines

To those reading, the C5 larger thermostat housing (ebay link) without the vacuum tree fitting when compared to the C7 housing (Mansfield link) is different in appearance .  The C5 housing is very common and is what typically gets used on a 67 GT500. It becomes very obvious which one you have once you know (by comparing the two) what the differences are.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

1967 eight barrel

Doug, I have a modified Ford C8 casting that was without the vacuum port threading I modified for use on my Shelby. I found an original, and removed it from my vehicle if interested. I even went to the trouble of mimicking the cast texture where it was ground off. There is no internal "dimple". So there is no chance of failure due to thin material. PM me if you're interested.

-Keith

shelbydoug

Quote from: 1967 eight barrel on March 31, 2018, 09:10:14 PM
Doug, I have a modified Ford C8 casting that was without the vacuum port threading I modified for use on my Shelby. I found an original so It was never used if interested. I even went to the trouble of mimicking the cast texture where it was ground off. There is no internal "dimple". So there is no chance of failure due to thin material. PM me if you're interested.

-Keith

Do you have some pictures?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

shelbydoug

Quote from: Vcode on February 12, 2019, 12:11:46 PM
Quote from: shelbydoug on March 28, 2018, 06:39:27 AM

just saw this on Ebay

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1967-FORD-MUSTANG-WATER-NECK-THERMOSTAT-HOUSING-390-428-ALUMINUM-C7AE-8592-A/292958943588?epid=658152049&hash=item4435b6b964:g:zNsAAOSwc9ha-zon:rk:1:pf:1&vxp=mtr&frcectupt=true

That's the Scott Drake version which is not accurate at all, but thanks Vcode.

The originals look like this.

Now here's the thing, not only were there seemingly like 100 of these things made, they are date coded! So you want one that is something like 2, 3 or 4 weeks before the Ford build date. This may be THE most difficult part to find for a 67 GT500 ? You can get one but you have to buy the entire car to get it.

I need one that is dated May 1967. I can't even find one made in 1967. So far they are all November 1966. So "good luck" on YOUR search!

To think how many got tossed because when the thermostat got changed out, someone cracked the dam thing?  :'(

I don't think they were ever serviced by Ford. What you got was the '68 version with a plug in it.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

shelbydoug

68 GT350 Lives Matter!

1967 eight barrel

I have a factory 68 on style that wasn't tapped that I reworked and then restored the cast texture if anyone is in need.  I used it until I stumbled on a NOS housing about three years ago.
                                                                -Keith

1967 eight barrel

Quote from: Vcode on March 28, 2018, 06:33:56 AM
Saw this on Ebay - Will this work?
It a C5 housing.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1965-1966-Ford-Galaxie-Fairlane-Mercury-ORIG-FE-390-410-428-THERMOSTAT-HOUSING/162968617497?epid=6006353255&hash=item25f1afc219:g:ItkAAOSwk~NZ07sm&vxp=mtr

No, the C5 housing is the large thermostat. The C5 and C8 housing are in abundance. Good luck fining one in useable condition. I looked for years. I was talking to Bob at Mansfield Mustang. He hasn't had a C7 housing in years. You don't even stumble on them at part swap meets anymore. They are a 1 year housing. If you are converting a C8 housing you need to find one that was not tapped. They are hollow on the outside. They still take hours to convert. I used a nail and a jewelers hammer to put the casting texture back into the aluminum housing.
                                                                                                  -Keith

shelbydoug

Quote from: 1967 eight barrel on February 12, 2019, 01:41:15 PM
Quote from: Vcode on March 28, 2018, 06:33:56 AM
Saw this on Ebay - Will this work?
It a C5 housing.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1965-1966-Ford-Galaxie-Fairlane-Mercury-ORIG-FE-390-410-428-THERMOSTAT-HOUSING/162968617497?epid=6006353255&hash=item25f1afc219:g:ItkAAOSwk~NZ07sm&vxp=mtr

No, the C5 housing is the large thermostat. The C5 and C8 housing are in abundance. Good luck fining one in usuable condition. I looked for years. I was talking to Bob at Mansfield Mustnag. He hasn't had a housing in years. You don't even stumble on them at part swap meets anymore. They are a 1 year housing. If you are converting a C8 housing you need to find one that was not tapped. They are hollow on the outside. They still take hours to convert. I used a nail and a jewelers hammer to put the casting texture back into the aluminum housing.
                                                                                                  -Keith

You need to make an instructional video. Your procedure may be my best hope?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

1967 eight barrel

Doug, I still have the one I converted in my spares. I will take pictures and I will offer it for sale here. 

-Keith

shelbydoug

Quote from: 1967 eight barrel on February 12, 2019, 02:17:07 PM
Doug, I still have the one I converted in my spares. I will take pictures and I will offer it for sale here. 

-Keith

Sure. What does it look like? I bought one to do exactly what you did. You might save me the effort.

The thing about these housings, when the hose is on it, the hose covers the C7 part.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

1967 eight barrel

You could probably bead blast it. When you paint it blue it probably wouldn't show.

shelbydoug

Quote from: 1967 eight barrel on February 13, 2019, 12:17:58 AM
You could probably bead blast it. When you paint it blue it probably wouldn't show.

Necessity is the mother of invention.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!