Author Topic: 67 GT500 Thermostat housing  (Read 16666 times)

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
Re: 67 GT500 Thermostat housing
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2018, 02:27:38 PM »
Bob. Jerry @ DrakeScott says the one with the casting bump IS the only one that they ever offered.
He does say that that plug is solid all the way through and can be machined off without needing to be welded up.

That sounds like Plan A at the moment.
I must have assumed it was Drake that made them. It was apparently someone else. It wasn't something I paid much attention to because you could tell that it was made sightly different then original which for that reason another imperfect repro part did not mean anything to me in my world.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2018, 02:54:05 PM »
No need to explain to me. I am grateful for any help or attempt at it.

I don't know how this thing will turn out with the plug cut out of it but it is worth a try?

The only short coming is going to be that it has a C8 casting number in it. The castings numbers are not really very defined and it needs to be painted. How much of that number will be legible remains to be seen or maybe not seen?  :o

Thanks for you input on the subject. I appreciate that. ;)
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2018, 01:37:55 PM »
Can someone post a close up picture of the 67 thermostat housing please? They are so rare, I can't even find a picture of one.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

67_1183

• SAAC Member
  • Southern Oregon - SAAC Member since 1977
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2018, 01:51:17 PM »
I think this is it.
2nd owner of 67 GT500 #1183 since September 1976

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2018, 01:58:44 PM »
It's so ugly, it's beautiful. Thank you for posting.

Now it needs to be date coded too? Shoot me. Please.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2018, 02:00:17 PM by shelbydoug »
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

• SAAC Member
  • Fox Island, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2018, 05:39:35 PM »
Did these come on any other cars like T-Birds?

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2018, 07:47:28 PM »

Undoubtedly it does. What? I don't know. MOST FE's use the large diameter thermostat and therefore a different housing.

The 427 Cobras, as far as I know use the large one. The T-birds, same thing.

It's the C7ZX intake manifold that was made to take the small thermostat and caused the issue.

I'm actually a little surprised that they are date coded. They might as well be serial numbered. Most of them apparently went on the 67 GT500's. What other cars in '67 used that intake manifold?

Tick, tick, tick, tick....TIMES UP! I don't think any?  ::)
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

silverton_ford

• SAAC Member
  • Been dreaming of a Shelby since I was 7.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2018, 08:27:39 PM »
I have found that thermostat housing on pickups in wrecking yards in the past.  Obviously being in a wrecking yard can lead many questions to how it got there....could have been an engine swap years before, who knows...endless possibilities.

I imagine they were on many different models in 1967 due to the A in the part number (C7AE).  Usually base parts were given the Galaxie number and if it was a more specific part then it would have that letter for that car.  Such as C7ZX..... leads me to believe that part is more for Mustangs than any other model.

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2018, 08:56:07 PM »

Undoubtedly it does. What? I don't know. MOST FE's use the large diameter thermostat and therefore a different housing.

It's the C7ZX intake manifold that was made to take the small thermostat and caused the issue.

I'm actually a little surprised that they are date coded. They might as well be serial numbered. Most of them apparently went on the 67 GT500's. What other cars in '67 used that intake manifold?

You are putting the cart before the horse. It wasn't the GT500 that caused things to change. Ford went to the smaller thermostat in 67 production. The books say Dec 66 but there are examples of it a little earlier. The vast majority of 390 Mustang's cast iron intakes got the C7-A thermostat housing . It was a Ford thing not a Shelby thing. SA knew about far enough in advance so as to work with Ford to come up with the C7ZX intake
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2018, 09:45:51 PM »

You are putting the cart before the horse. It wasn't the GT500 that caused things to change. Ford went to the smaller thermostat in 67 production. The books say Dec 66 but there are examples of it a little earlier. The vast majority of 390 Mustang's cast iron intakes got the C7-A thermostat housing . It was a Ford thing not a Shelby thing. SA knew about far enough in advance so as to work with Ford to come up with the C7ZX intake

Well, to listen to you, these things are a dime a dozen and as common as cow manure in Texas? Ooo look, there's another one over there! That's at least a dozen I found just today!

Probably about as common as the power steering pulley?  ;)

Maybe there's one guy hoarding them? A 400 pound guy in his underwear living in the basement of his mother's house in New Jersey? I'll ask Trump. He'll know? LOL! ;D
« Last Edit: March 23, 2018, 09:49:48 PM by shelbydoug »
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Shelbypat

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2018, 10:34:38 PM »
Mansfield is listed for C7AE-A housing without stub.

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2018, 10:58:50 PM »

Well, to listen to you, these things are a dime a dozen and as common as cow manure in Texas? Ooo look, there's another one over there! That's at least a dozen I found just today!

Probably about as common as the power steering pulley?  ;)

Maybe there's one guy hoarding them? A 400 pound guy in his underwear living in the basement of his mother's house in New Jersey? I'll ask Trump. He'll know? LOL! ;D
No the 67 only FE thermostat housings were much more common relatively speaking then the P/S pulley's used on the 67 GT500 given the number of 67 390 Mustangs and other models that had the thermostat housing but did not use the rare non air P/S GT 500 pulley or the ultra rare A/C P/S pulley GT 500 . ;)

• SAAC Member
  • Fox Island, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2018, 01:47:14 AM »

Is that a reproduction?

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2018, 07:33:33 AM »

Mansfield has ALWAYS had it LISTED, but has never had any when I called to check and that has been the situation for years.

The availability of the housings now is not consistent with what the production numbers of '67 390's is supposed to be. Even when I find an iron intake for sale, I have never found the seller to have the housing also.

By the same token when looking at '67 Mustangs and Cougars for sale now, 390's by comparison to 289's are not common.

I've got the pulley. The housing is just very evasive.

'67 specific FE parts in general are not common at all. The 2v iron intake may be the most common part along with the 2v/4v balancer.

To find a date coded '67 housing is like the odds of winning Powerball. Someone will, but it's only one chance in 330 million.

I guess I just raised the price of these things again?  >:(

I can envision a scenario where many just got trash canned in the process of changing thermostats and installing new '68 type housings? That right there was probably a very common thing to do even under warranty at the servicing dealers in the day? Parts managers being what they are would carry one part, the '68 part, to cover two years.

Ford says that ALL '67 fe's use this housing. OK. Again. Where the heck are they all?
« Last Edit: March 24, 2018, 10:42:34 AM by shelbydoug »
68 GT350 Lives Matter!