Author Topic: 67 GT500 Thermostat housing  (Read 16664 times)

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
67 GT500 Thermostat housing
« on: March 17, 2018, 06:13:15 PM »
Is this supposed to be painted or natural as cast? I forgot and I am seeing both ways on engine pics.
I know I have blue paint on the intake manifold where the mask leaked right in that area.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
Re: 67 GT500 Thermostat housing
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2018, 06:46:17 PM »
Is this supposed to be painted or natural as cast? I forgot and I am seeing both ways on engine pics.
I know I have blue paint on the intake manifold where the mask leaked right in that area.
Painted in place on the aluminum intake.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2018, 08:29:23 PM »
Thank you.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

acman63

• View Profile
    • Shelby Parts and Restoration  since 1977
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2018, 08:56:57 PM »
Going to start calling you Mr Concours  Mr. W
SAAC Concours Chairman

Owner Shelby Parts and Restoration Since 1977

SAAC original first year member

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2018, 09:05:48 PM »

You'll never know when I will show up. You're all safe in a group but don't wonder too far away?  ;)
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2018, 10:24:09 PM »
Who would have thought. ;D
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2018, 08:54:47 AM »
So in theory, "we" can take this thermostat housing, "machine off" the cast in plug and paint it. Then "walla!" we have a 67 housing?  ;D
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2018, 11:18:38 AM »
So in theory, "we" can take this thermostat housing, "machine off" the cast in plug and paint it. Then "walla!" we have a 67 housing?  ;D
I am assuming it has the "thumbprint' divot on the other side . If it doesn't there are others that do. I would also machine off the C8 engineering number too. Then you would have something similar not exact.

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2018, 11:38:57 AM »
Until someone makes some new ones, it's a consideration. The casual observer just sees the additional casting for the vacuum tree.

The casting numbers are so fine that they tend to get unnoticed.

It's just going to be the Head Judge that needs to have his glasses hidden?

At $35 vs. $500, the difference makes the consideration valid. In fact, they are so rare, I may have to buy an entire car to get the part?

I do think I remember reading of a limited run 5-7 years ago?
« Last Edit: March 18, 2018, 01:39:18 PM by shelbydoug »
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2018, 11:56:08 AM »
Until someone makes some new ones, it's a consideration. The casual observer just sees the additional casting for the vacuum tree.

At $35 vs. $500, the difference makes the consideration valid. In fact, they are so rare, I may have to buy an entire car to get the part?
I thought Scott Drake made a copy of the C7AE-A thermostat housing? It was in their 2016 Scoot Drake product catalog at 24.95.  It isn't perfect but at least as good as machining the one in your picture and without all of the trouble.

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2018, 12:02:39 PM »

I do think I remember reading  of a limited run maybe 5-7 years ago?

I thought Scott Drake made a copy of the C7AE-A thermostat housing? It was in their 2016 Scoot Drake product catalog at 24.95.  It isn't perfect but at least as good as machining the one in your picture and without all of the trouble.

It is not in the online catalog. Maybe he sold out and isn't making more?
« Last Edit: March 18, 2018, 01:40:37 PM by shelbydoug »
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2018, 08:57:04 PM »
Ah! That is the picture of the Scott Drake C7AE-A thermostat housing that I posted above.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2018, 10:26:20 PM »
Ah! That is the picture of the Scott Drake C7AE-A thermostat housing that I posted above.
What a shame . I know a couple years back they had a version without the vacuum fitting stub that was meant for 67. At least it is not expensive, so you can hack away.

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2018, 07:43:23 AM »
What a shame . I know a couple years back they had a version without the vacuum fitting stub that was meant for 67. At least it is not expensive, so you can hack away.

Yes. :'(

In fairness, they are no longer listing that housing in the online catalog. It is just identified currently by the C7AE part number by his current dealers that still have a few.

I'll call 'Drake' later and see what they say about having any of the 'original' batch left. The people I talk to on the phone there tend not to know any more then I do though.

Do you have a picture or can you scan that catalog and post the picture here?

I'm wondering if that picture you are looking at is of an original they were showing before they decided how to make the 'reproduction'?

Machining off the bump on the current one, which is a $20 part, then heavily sandblasting it to get a uniform 'cast' finish seems to be a reasonable alternative?

It does depend on what the internal dimple looks like. Ideally there is none on that 'plug'.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2018, 08:06:17 AM by shelbydoug »
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2018, 11:41:14 AM »
Bob. Jerry @ DrakeScott says the one with the casting bump IS the only one that they ever offered.
He does say that that plug is solid all the way through and can be machined off without needing to be welded up.

That sounds like Plan A at the moment.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!