News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

parts markings

Started by kasearch@ix.netcom.com, August 22, 2020, 11:21:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kasearch@ix.netcom.com

I am nearing the finish on my 69 GT500, Dearborn built (6/13), it is a A/T with A/C.  My build sheet is unreadable, and I am trying to determine what paint markings could be on the real leaf springs and where they would have been placed.  I would appreciate all input.

Coralsnake

There are no markings on 1969 Shelby leaf springs.

Some springs have white marks near the front eyelets, but they are not usually visible when the springs are installed

Coralsnake

Bob Gaines

Quote from: kasearch@ix.netcom.com on August 22, 2020, 11:21:14 AM
I am nearing the finish on my 69 GT500, Dearborn built (6/13), it is a A/T with A/C.  My build sheet is unreadable, and I am trying to determine what paint markings could be on the real leaf springs and where they would have been placed.  I would appreciate all input.
69/70 Shelby's had special leaf springs installed after the base car went down the assemblyline . Even if your buildsheet was readable the color identification marking listed on the sheet would not be correct because those leaf springs were taken off. A grouchy Southern Indiana friend years ago brought to my attention that the special Shelby leaf springs had a white identification mark on the forward leaf eye where the bushing was pressed in. This was done at the mfg prior to the leaf being installed . If doing something after the springs are installed which may be the situation in your case make sure there is no white spray paint on anything other the the leaf spring eye otherwise it will have the wrong look.  Best to do this with the spring unbolted from the car like the MFG did it. The identification was applied by spray paint. Don't over do it . Better to have too little and still see it then too much and be reason for a deduction in concours. Some white spray paint could sometimes be seen with the front spring eye bolted to the chassis.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby