Author Topic: 67 flat taillight panel - OEM, or early repro? How to tell?  (Read 3014 times)

BeaterGT500

• View Profile
67 flat taillight panel - OEM, or early repro? How to tell?
« on: March 18, 2018, 01:26:58 AM »
Hello from the cold NW- I have a unused 1967 fiberglass flat taillight panel, believe it to be NOS.  it was purchased from a stash of parts in storage in PA since at least the early 80's if not longer.  I previously had a NOS raised panel one that had a manufacturers mark, but this one has zero markings or numbers that I can find.  It looks like horse hair glass.  Thoughts about its origin and value?  I want to unload it since I restored the original one for my car, but I don't want to misrepresent it.  Thanks for the help!
JT
« Last Edit: March 18, 2018, 01:29:31 AM by BeaterGT500 »
Current custodian of 1967 GT500 #683, and a real Meyers Manx dune buggy. Also currently broke as a result.

• SAAC Member
  • Fox Island, WA
    • View Profile
Re: 67 flat taillight panel - OEM, or early repro? How to tell?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2018, 02:21:45 AM »
To piggyback onto this thread, when did the flat panel get phased out during '67 production?

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2018, 12:01:45 PM »
Hello from the cold NW- I have a unused 1967 fiberglass flat taillight panel, believe it to be NOS.  it was purchased from a stash of parts in storage in PA since at least the early 80's if not longer.  I previously had a NOS raised panel one that had a manufacturers mark, but this one has zero markings or numbers that I can find.  It looks like horse hair glass.  Thoughts about its origin and value?  I want to unload it since I restored the original one for my car, but I don't want to misrepresent it.  Thanks for the help!
JT
It is a repro. It would have the fiberglass weave mat texture if genuine.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

BeaterGT500

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2018, 12:54:16 PM »
The original fiberglass was all intact on the car when I removed it, luckily.  The tail light panel and trunk lid do have the woven fiberglass pattern, however the end caps and side scoops share the same horse hair pattern as this panel.  Is it possible that this panel was made as a service replacement part by the same manufacturer?
Current custodian of 1967 GT500 #683, and a real Meyers Manx dune buggy. Also currently broke as a result.

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2018, 02:48:30 PM »
The original fiberglass was all intact on the car when I removed it, luckily.  The tail light panel and trunk lid do have the woven fiberglass pattern, however the end caps and side scoops share the same horse hair pattern as this panel.  Is it possible that this panel was made as a service replacement part by the same manufacturer?
It really doesn't matter one way or the other because it is a repro part. A service part in this case is made more like the assemblyline. Other parts can vary greatly between service and assemblyline .
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

BeaterGT500

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2018, 04:07:26 PM »
Ok, thanks for the help, Bob.  Searching for an original nose for the same car (orig was mostly destroyed) so I expect the same to be true in identifying an original nose, it should have the woven fiberglass pattern as opposed to the horse hair "swirl" pattern like this panel?  Probably near impossible to find an original nose in decent shape these days...

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2018, 04:24:31 PM »
Ok, thanks for the help, Bob.  Searching for an original nose for the same car (orig was mostly destroyed) so I expect the same to be true in identifying an original nose, it should have the woven fiberglass pattern as opposed to the horse hair "swirl" pattern like this panel?  Probably near impossible to find an original nose in decent shape these days...
The nose is a different story. The later nose was the chop gun style fiberglass texture instead of the fiberglass weave mat. The genuine still has differences between it and the typical repro nose. If you need a replacement I have used the nose produced by Cobra Fiberglass and modified them to look more like original with good results.

Richstang

• View Profile
    • 1967 Shelby Research Group
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2018, 08:49:06 PM »
To piggyback onto this thread, when did the flat panel get phased out during '67 production?

As you probably know, since they were not built in order we don't have a specific VIN to say when. On the old forum it was noted;
"Flat taillight panels have been found as late as 4/27, while the raised taillight panels have been found as early as 4/17. "
I wish we could go back and ask that poster if the comment was based on original cars, not restored cars.

My data file seems to indicate it was a bit later into early May, but that is only based on cars in their current state, not limited to original cars.
There appear to be many cars with the wrong replacement panels in both early and late builds. I'm not sure how that would work with the taillight boxes in the trunk.
1967 Shelby Research Group 

www.1967ShelbyResearch.com
www.facebook.com/groups/1967shelbyresearch

1991-1993 SAAC MKI, MKII, & Snake Registrar

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2018, 12:29:22 AM »

As you probably know, since they were not built in order we don't have a specific VIN to say when. On the old forum it was noted;
"Flat taillight panels have been found as late as 4/27, while the raised taillight panels have been found as early as 4/17. "
I wish we could go back and ask that poster if the comment was based on original cars, not restored cars.

My data file seems to indicate it was a bit later into early May, but that is only based on cars in their current state, not limited to original cars.
There appear to be many cars with the wrong replacement panels in both early and late builds. I'm not sure how that would work with the taillight boxes in the trunk.
The boxes didn't get mixed up by factory workers if that is what you are saying. FYI the early style deep box can theoretically be used by ether tail panel design although I don't know why you would want to use it on a later style panel . The shallow box can only be used with the contoured tail panel. I believe the contoured panel was put into used before your 4/17 date.