Author Topic: Thermactor Exhaust and Inboard Light question for California registration  (Read 3780 times)

Mdbound2005

• View Profile
Hi everyone

I’m looking to purchase an out-of-state 1967 GT 500 which has “No Thermactor Exhaust System” because it was delivered outside of California originally

Because I live in California, I realize there is no smog check required for a 1967 vehicle, but would I be able to register this vehicle in California all these years later if it does not have a Thermactor?

Furthermore, the car has inboard lights and I want to make sure that it would be road legal in California.

Many thanks for your advice and expertise!!!
67 Shelby GT500
Raven Black with White Stripes

6s1802

• Mamber since 1981
    • View Profile
Vehicles prior to 1976 are no longer require a bi-annual smog check. If a vehicle was brought in from out of state California does not make you retrofit it's emission system onto it. You don't have to do anything but be prepared to be bent over by the DMV for registration fees once they realize it's a Shelby.

6s1802

• Mamber since 1981
    • View Profile
As far as the inboard lights go not an issue.

Side-Oilers

• SAAC Member
  • SAAC member since 1981.
    • View Profile
^^^+1^^^
Current:
2006 FGT. Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs, 3.90 gears. 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra. 482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Formerly:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model 3-spd stick

• SAAC Member
  • Fox Island, WA
    • View Profile
Except for your sales tax and registration, good news, right?   8)

• 1967 gt500 since 82 NFS!
    • View Profile
Been driving an inboard light car on and off since 82.Been pulled over by law enforcement many ,many times.The lights were never an issue(though a lot of other things were......). :o

Mdbound2005

• View Profile
Thank you all for your replies.  Gives me great comfort. And thank you 2112 for guiding me to this forum.

Yes, CA tax is a killer, but that’s the price you pay for sunshine and palm trees... 8)
67 Shelby GT500
Raven Black with White Stripes

• SAAC Member
  • Fox Island, WA
    • View Profile
Thank you all for your replies.  Gives me great comfort. And thank you 2112 for guiding me to this forum.

Yes, CA tax is a killer, but that’s the price you pay for sunshine and palm trees... 8)

It is a killer up here too. Our price for snow capped peaks, green forests and blue waters.

Keep us posted on your progress.

🍻

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
There won't be a smog/emission test to register your car and as mentioned no bi-annual test. Your car could still be inspected and tested if picked on one of the sniffers (often placed on freeway )  or by a random emission test sites. Been a while since I've seen either locally so don't know if CHP or DMV is doing that currently or has the funding.

If "caught" then you'll have to go through the process of proving that your car didn't originally come with Thermactor.  Not getting any phone calls for a number of years so it appears they are not pushing the envelope bu the laws  still require original emission equipment. Don't believe there are any current retrofits for cars not originally equipped with factory systems but the state really had a thing for multiple carbs at one point.

Every year of so the idea of doing bi-annual tests comes back up in Sacramento so expect the party in power to continue pushing that button. Means more jobs, more fees and helps promote other things that are important to some.

As mentioned the fees will be notable. It's not that its a Shelby its the value.

Suggest that you think about what you say during the process of registering - just answer the questions thoughtfully. You don't need to bring up subjects like VIN stamped trans and or engines, hidden VIN's  and such. Don't show off what you know, how rare the car may be and so but be nice

Good luck with your possible future purchase.
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

67 GT350

• View Profile
CA IS BI-ANNUAL????? Do you mean 2 times a year, Ca residents have to get cars checked??? Was I reading that right or dreaming? I mean nightmare.
RARE  Signature Delete

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
CA IS BI-ANNUAL????? Do you mean 2 times a year, Ca residents have to get cars checked??? Was I reading that right or dreaming? I mean nightmare.

Both listed under "biannually" in many dictionaries

Guess it should be "biennially" a change of one vowel and with most people, spoken the same. Try it :)
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

• SAAC Member
  • Fox Island, WA
    • View Profile
I think congratulations are in order.   8)

JD

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
I think congratulations are in order.   8)

^^^ Yes, congrat's
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

68krrrr

• SoCal Upland
    • View Profile
Just registered my 67 GT500 in January  of this year in CA & no issues at all luckily my seller helped me out with a tax break ;) hopefully we'll get another one in CA good luck with your search.
Current
1967 GT500 #1724
Nightmist Blue /Parchment
2005 Ford Gt Midnight blue
Porsche 911 Turbo 2007 Highly modified
1934 Ford Chopped & channeled

Previously owned
1968 GT500KR #03528 Lime green
1968 GT/CS

"Fly low & avoid the radar"
Thanks Adam

• 1967 gt500 since 82 NFS!
    • View Profile
I once bought a very thing in Ca. back in the day.Paid 700 for the car and 2k for the (seperate)”rare”original hardtop.Did wonders for my reg. fees. 8)