Author Topic: Has anyone installed a car lift for storage/ car repairs and would recommend it?  (Read 12466 times)

Tinface

• Only an intellectual could say something so stupid
    • View Profile
Gentleman,

I have very limited space at my house in the city: a 2 car driveway/ one car garage/ and one car carport with a garage door. Yes. It does suck. So I need to make the most of it until I move in a few years.

I am considering a 4 post lift so I can raise my GT350 up and drive another car I need inside underneath it, or pull the lower car out and work under the car on the lift. There are a bunch of lifts out there out now. I need a 4 post lift I believe.

Has anyone purchased a lift and set one up (or had something else set it up) and would recommend it? Or perhaps you don’t like the lift you have and I should avoid it?

My measurements are really tight:

Height limitation: Their is a beam that is 9 (108”) foot from the concrete the lift would sit on.
Width Limitation: The carport is 9 foot wide (108 “)
Length limitation:and 16 feet long(192”)

That’s roughly the size that the lift can be.

Thank you for your time.

Mark

« Last Edit: March 18, 2018, 03:50:45 AM by Tinface »

98SVT - was 06GT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
A friend has one. Loves it. I'll borrow it if I need to do trans or exhaust work. I've kicked around getting one to put my mill, lathe and eelding stuff on to free up some space. Leno put about 10 in just for the storage space. Make sure to order the drip pan and sliding jack support so you can take a wheel off on the lift.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

Bigfoot

• Forum 1.0 posts: 8815
    • View Profile
Rotary makes a great lift. It’s a Global company within a Fortune 500 Company.
The parent Company is Dover Corp.

I’m not sure on dimensions but you can google it.  Many varieties.

You don’t want one of the cheap ones made overseas...
Remember,..you will be standing under it....
You get what you pay for.

RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

Ldouble619

• View Profile
I have a four post lift with a 10.5ft ceiling, yours will be tight with 9ft and two cars.

Backyard bubby makes a good made in USA lift

http://backyardbuddy.com/lifts/

Greg

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
I give Wildfire lifts a BIG thumbs up.  I researched them all and decided to buy theirs for many reasons as it is a great lift with easy set up.  Heavy duty at an affordable price and you wont be sorry going with them.  You also talk and buy directly from the owners.   Call Brad at 763.445.9143
Shelby's and Fords from Day 1

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
Gentleman,

I have very limited space at my house in the city: a 2 car driveway/ one car garage/ and one car carport with a garage door. Yes. It does suck. So I need to make the most of it until I move in a few years.

I am considering a 4 post lift so I can raise my GT350 up and drive another car I need inside underneath it, or pull the lower car out and work under the car on the lift. There are a bunch of lifts out there out now. I need a 4 post lift I believe.

Has anyone purchased a lift and set one up (or had something else set it up) and would recommend it? Or perhaps you don’t like the lift you have and I should avoid it?

Height limitation: Their is a beam that is 9 (108”) foot from the concrete the lift would sit on.

Thank you for your time.

Mark
I suppose it would depend on what you planed on parking underneath.Sorry to report that I just measured a 66 GT350 and then lowered a lift with a car on it ( but not one underneath for safety reasons ) to the car height measurement plus inch. The total measurements included the lift platform (all makes are about the same in that respect). The total with the car on top was over 9 ft.  It wasn't even close.  I think that you will find that a 9ft ceiling will not let you park anything but a low profile car underneath if you had a 66 GT350 or equivalent on top. . You could still gain storage for maybe lawn equipment etc. but certainly not two equivalent 66 GT350's .
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
Gentleman,

Thank you for your time.

Mark
I suppose it would depend on what you planed on parking underneath.Sorry to report that I just measured a 66 GT350 and then lowered a lift with a car on it ( but not one underneath for safety reasons ) to the car height measurement plus inch. The total measurements included the lift platform (all makes are about the same in that respect). The total with the car on top was over 9 ft.  It wasn't even close.  I think that you will find that a 9ft ceiling will not let you park anything but a low profile car underneath if you had a 66 GT350 or equivalent on top. . You could still gain storage for maybe lawn equipment etc. but certainly not two equivalent 66 GT350's .
I forgot to mention that Direct lifts (what I use) should fit the footprint measurements you gave.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2018, 12:45:37 PM by Bob Gaines »
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

wcode70

• View Profile
I bought a 9000lb capacity Revolution which is made by Rotary.  Unfortunately it won't fit within the space you have to work with.  Maybe a trimmed down version is available from some manufacturer but they all seem to be about the same size and my posts are basically 10' x 16' center to center.  Below is a link to the model I bought and a picture of my lift.  One of those things you'll wonder how you ever lived without one once you get one.  Good luck!!  Edit...just looked at the Revolution 8000lb lift in the link and it looks like it will fit in your space but unless your other car you want to park underneath is a GT40 I don't think the height will work for you with either lift.

http://www.revolutionlift.com/RFP9-9000-Pound-Capacity-Four-Post-Lift-P2C4.aspx

http://www.revolutionlift.com/RFP8-8000-Pound-Capacity-Four-Post-Lift-P24C4.aspx

« Last Edit: March 18, 2018, 12:44:56 PM by wcode70 »
1970 BOSS 302 - W code
1970 Mustang Sportsroof - W code
1970 Ranchero GT - 429

papa scoops

• View Profile
lifts are bad. lifts attract pests. they are like your car trailer. everyone wants to borrow it. let them get the lift and you borrow it! phrred

Tinface

• Only an intellectual could say something so stupid
    • View Profile
Wow. Big help. Thank you so much.

Bob Gains: you measured it for me? Wow. Amazing help. Really.

Thank you all so much.

Mark

Bigfoot

• Forum 1.0 posts: 8815
    • View Profile
+1 on the Revolution by Rotary.
I have one.
RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

Grumpy

• View Profile
4 post with an air jack. It makes a great bench to.

BGlover67

• SAAC Member
  • Formerly "My Shelby Dream"
    • View Profile
I know someone who has one of these and loves it.  Price includes delivery and setup.  Sometimes they will run a sale on these and drop the price by $1000!

https://www.costco.com/Challenger-Lifts-4-post-Home-Storage-Automotive-Lift.product.100302337.html

Thanks,
Brian R. Glover
SAAC Carolina's Northern Representative

hertzdonut

• View Profile
I love my Backyard Buddy! Fits Two Mustangs/Shelbys but probably needs 10 foot height. Measure carefully.

Terry

KerryBWhite

• View Profile
I have looked at the Advantage 4 post lift.

Does anyone have any experience with this brand?

https://www.advantagelifts.us/