Author Topic: Has anyone installed a car lift for storage/ car repairs and would recommend it?  (Read 12467 times)

TOBKOB

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
I have looked at the Advantage 4 post lift.

Does anyone have any experience with this brand?

I have a 9000 XLT Advantage lift that I use to store my 69 GT350 on. It keeps it out of reach of my 21/2 year old grandson and also out or reach of me when I am carrying  a large item and bump into one of the posts. I looked at a lot of lifts and decided to go with Advantage after seeing one at Hershey a couple of years ago. I would like to have a 2nd one so I wouldn't have to shuffle cars around when I need to use the lift to work on another car. I purchased the XLT for the extra height... 7 ft of clearance. Another thing I like is the posts are square tubing not a C channel with sheet metal for the cut outs for the safety stops and have a square tubing collar around the post.
Another thing I like about it is the casters that come with it allow you to roll it around the shop ( I also ordered the 110V pump so I could plug it in anywhere I wanted vs the 220V... it is a little slower but the advantage outweighs the disadvantage for me ;))

TOB
« Last Edit: March 18, 2018, 09:55:07 PM by TOBKOB »
1969 GT350 owned since 1970

68blk500c

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
This is helpful; please keep your experiences/recommendations coming.

• SAAC Member
  • Fox Island, WA
    • View Profile
Don't underestimate the value of installation.

They aren't complicated but they are heavy.

• SAAC Member
  • Fox Island, WA
    • View Profile
Also. If you are wiring for 110V, use a 30amp breaker and wire. Makes a huge difference.

Shelby_r_b

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Don't underestimate the value of installation.

They aren't complicated but they are heavy.

+1 on the weight!  They are extremely heavy.  I had my 4 post installed by a local shop, even though I ordered the lift from out of state.

Side note - you can order and have lifts delivered unassembled; HOWEVER, most manufacturers will only deliver to a loading dock of some sort, given the packaging, etc.  So, I couldn't have the setup delivered directly to my home - I had to have mine delivered to the local shop setting the lift up.

I, too, have a very limited interior garage height.  I thought I had 10' ceilings; which would have been great.  However, my ceiling is 9' 4" a the lowest point.  I was able to make the lift work, but much like Bob G mentioned, it really depends on what you have underneath AND on top. 

Another issue to tackle is not just the over and under space, but you also need to figure out upper and lower clearances based on the manual locking slots.  And, you also have to give yourself at least an additional 3 inches once the lift is resting on the locks, as you'll need about 3 inches to raise the lift to off the locks to release the locks and then lower the upper car.  I remedied this by measuring everything ahead of time (you an go online and find the heights at which the locks will set), and I ended up having 3/4" thick aluminum cut to the size of the post feet and placed under the post feet to allow the exact height required above and below.

Hope this helps!
Nothing beats a classic!

KDunne

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
I have a Backyard Buddy. Very nice lift....I too had some height limitations.  They were great to work with and actually custom made the lock heights for my lift....I purchased the drip pans, and a rolling jack stand.   I recently purchased a Bend Pak RJ 45 rolling bridge jack for m,y lift as well ........Kevin 

Corey Bowcutt

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
My brother and I bought a 4 post lift for his garage about a year ago.  We purchased it in Delaware because there are no sales taxes there.  It was surprisingly cheap.  I do not remember exactly how much $ but it was less that $2000.  We installed it ourselves. It is very easy to install but as other have mentioned there is one very heavy piece.  The one runner that has the hydraulic ram in it was very heavy.  But we managed it with the two of us a woman and a couple dollies. The instructions that came with it were marginal but there was a great YouTube video that helped out a lot.  The unit we bought was from Atlas Equipment.

My car has been on the lift the last two weeks as I have been swapping my transmission.  It works out really well for that since it is in the center of the car so the rails do not get in the way.  My brother also purchased two couple hydraulic jacks that ride on the rails and are used to jack the tires off the rails for brake work and such.

Bigfoot

• Forum 1.0 posts: 8815
    • View Profile
I remember Kiwi putting his together but I would never do it because they are so freakin heavy.
The best ones are the heaviest and who needs to bust a nut on that!
RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

TOBKOB

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
My son and I put my Advantage lift together in 1 1/2-2 hrs. He is stronger than I am and insisted that we manhandle it even though I have a fork lift and an engine hoist 30' away. When he is my age he will learn to work smarter not harder  ::)  I also have a loading dock which made delivery easier...
TOB
1969 GT350 owned since 1970

csheff

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Must also consider the room needed for the garage door to open.

SFM6S1348

• View Profile
I have a Rotery lift in my 10 ft 6 in celing. Could be 10 ft I think or lower. Can easily have 2 Mustangs. Works great for me...

Les 6S1348
...found 6S1348 after a full year of searching. It was in a garage I passed every day on the way to work. I looked at cars in front yards, back yards, storage garages, in fields, and under trees. I found a 65 that had hit a tree and was bent all the way to the back...

kingchief

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Hey Les, can you please post a picture if possible?

Thanks, Steve
SFM 6S406

Shelby_r_b

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Must also consider the room needed for the garage door to open.

That's another great point I forgot to add...garage door clearance.

I ended up getting a new low profile door system.  Basically, they used the same door, but the rails are now only inches from the top versus feet.  And, it comes with a side jack opener (mounts along the side of the door versus hanging from the ceiling). 

I also had to mesure where the door would stop when fully retracted, so that the door wouldn't slam into the roof of the upper car or the back window.  Luckily, the door stops retraction before it reaches the back window on my upper car when raised.
Nothing beats a classic!

SFM6S1348

• View Profile
Hey Les, can you please post a picture if possible?

Thanks, Steve

Hi Steve here is my lift. My 10 foot 6 inch ceiling works well except I bent the antenna top on the T Bird when it hit the ceiling. I just need a few more inches. I had to raise the garage door as you can see the track is almost at the ceiling. Also because that door is a double size I had to put a stronger industrial type lifter to raise the heavier door. The Shelby fits nicely with about 14" clearance on each side and 10 "roof clearance at the top.
Just don't forget to duck when you get out of your car. Working on a car I still have to duck under the side rails to get under the car but there is ample room to work on the car underside once under it.
I had it delivered. It arrived on a flat bed roll back. They lowered it onto wheels and rolled it in the garage. Leveled it, fine tuned the lift and it was done.
I saw several different ones at a local car event and decided this one was the best for me. It cost a bit more but looked to me better for my needs. I have had zero problems with it. I have had it about 6-7 years.

...found 6S1348 after a full year of searching. It was in a garage I passed every day on the way to work. I looked at cars in front yards, back yards, storage garages, in fields, and under trees. I found a 65 that had hit a tree and was bent all the way to the back...

kingchief

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Thanks Les for the photo.  I have a T-Bird also so the picture is super swell.  I would have to raise the garage door as you have done.  I already have the industrial lifter so that box is checked.  Just need to do some more measuring.  I am just TIRED of putting them both on jack stands.  I am getting OLD!!!

Thanks again,

Steve
SFM 6S406