News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Console Insert Woodgrain

Started by 480083, August 24, 2020, 06:21:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Removed and cleaned off the grime from the console in my GT-350 (early build, Dec. 1968) in order to evaluate what needs to be done to restore the console.  The woodgrain on the console insert (see pic) appears to be dark walnut, not the light teak of the rest of the vehicle.  Trim code on the build sheet is 3A and while the instrument panel in the other picture is light teak, the steering wheel looks to be walnut.  This was my father-in-laws car and he bought it in 1970 from a neighbor who could not afford to keep making the payments. 

Is the console insert woodgrain a production anomaly and should have been light teak?     

Should I correct the issue and use light teak when the console is restored, or leave it as built with the darker woodgrain? 

Would a judge accept it if I can prove that's the way it was built? 

Coralsnake

The console insert was not specifically matched to the car. Pretty sure thats correct and no changes are needed

Bob Gaines

Quote from: 480083 on August 24, 2020, 06:21:21 PM
Removed and cleaned off the grime from the console in my GT-350 (early build, Dec. 1968) in order to evaluate what needs to be done to restore the console.  The woodgrain on the console insert (see pic) appears to be dark walnut, not the light teak of the rest of the vehicle.  Trim code on the build sheet is 3A and while the instrument panel in the other picture is light teak, the steering wheel looks to be walnut.  This was my father-in-laws car and he bought it in 1970 from a neighbor who could not afford to keep making the payments. 

Is the console insert woodgrain a production anomaly and should have been light teak?     

Should I correct the issue and use light teak when the console is restored, or leave it as built with the darker woodgrain? 

Would a judge accept it if I can prove that's the way it was built?
If you are concerned about what a judge thinks as assemblyline correct then use the dark walnut. That is what a judge would expect to see because it was done on the assemblyline even though it didn't match the light teak of the dash and door panel appliques Some of the earliest cars which most likely does not include your car did not have the wood grain at all. If you wanted to personalize your car then ether the camera case non wood grain look (whats under the woodgrain applique) or make a insert out of some light teak material could be a alternative.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby