News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

6S2138 on Craigslist

Started by silverton_ford, August 26, 2020, 12:22:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

silverton_ford

This car belongs to a friend.   A local car dealer is selling it for him.  He has it on craigslist.

Link - https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/ctd/d/turner-1966-ford-mustang-shelby-gt350h/7184425723.html

Ad Description:
1966 Ford Mustang Shelby GT 350H (Hertz) #SFM6S2138

The Paint: Original color Raven Black with Gold LeMans and side stripes, repainted in the mid to late 1980' in Lacquer, and in remarkable condition.

The Engine: Original to the car 289 CID solid lifter High Performance producing 306 horsepower all of the correct Shelby-installed high Performance equipment to include: "COBRA" aluminum intake manifold, Tri-Y headers, 4100 Ford Autolite Carburetor,

The Transmission: Original Ford C-4 3 speed Automatic

The Differential: Original Ford 9" with 3.50: 1 gear ratio, conventional

The Suspension: Original, Front: Independent, upper wishbone, lower control arm, and drag strut, coil springs, Koni shocks, 1" diameter sway bar
Rear: Rigid axle, semi-elliptic leaf springs, Koni Shocks, Trailing arms (Traction bars)

Steering: Manual Shelby 19:1 ratio

Brakes, Shelby-installed Front: 11.3" Kelsey-Hayes disc with finned rotors
Rear:10" diameter, 3" deep drums
Large single reservoir master cylinder, with 3 bolt mounting bracket

The Interior: Factory stock Mustang black bucket front, 3" competition seat belts, Original deluxe steering wheel with Shelby center cap, original radio, dash decal, Carroll Shelby signed glove box lid ('65) original glove box lid to accompany.
E-brake warning light, original manual choke, original fold-down rear seat, auxiliary vintage style S/W Greenline" gauges.

Original dash mounted 8000 RPM tachometer

Shelby installed bullet-style side mirror

Shelby installed steel hood with original functional hood scoop

Shelby installed original, functional side scoops

All glass in nice (Carlite) as original condition, windows roll up and down easily, Original plexy-glass side windows

All lights work

Heater, wipers, and turn signals work

Clean Original trunk compartment housing the original spare and jack

Shelby installed dual exhaust

Shelby Chrome 14" Magnum 500 wheels with BFG radial T/A's, original Blue-Dot spare in the trunk is still mounted on it's 14" Magnum 500 Wheel

I am absolutely thrilled, and grateful to have the opportunity to offer this amazing iconic piece of American Automotive History!
This 1966 Shelby GT350H is a very fine example of how this car actually left Shelby American Inc. at 6501 Imperial HWY. Los Angeles, California (The Airport).
This particular GT350 has some very nice provenance, and believe it or not, has survived in beautiful condition with it's original engine and drive train in tact, and in excellent operating condition.
This is a 3 personal owner Shelby. This car left Shelby American on May 12, 1966, where it was delivered to S and C Ford in San Francisco where it was prepped for Hertz for it's "Rent a Racer" program. Once prepped it was delivered to Hertz at the San Francisco airport where it was put into service until May 26, 1967 when it was pulled from rental service and sold to it's first personal owner on September 7, 1967.
The first owner had the car until 1985 when he sold it to the second owner. In this persons possession, the Shelby was repainted sometime in the remaining 1980's, as well as having the original engine rebuilt, and the transmission rebuilt. This couple kept the Shelby until 2012 when the current owner purchased it, and has maintained it obsessively.
What I just stated above was just a quick history of this fine Shelby's life. I can't begin to go over every detail of this cars provenance as there is an abundance.
In 54 years this Shelby has sold just 3 times, and it appears that somehow each owner has truly cared for, and maintained this car...
We've all read the stories of these cars, how they were typically treated, drag raced on weekends, rented and taken to the track, and even the horrific stories of how they were rented by someone only to have their engine taken out and replaced with a little 289 2bbl engine, and then taken back to Hertz as if nothing happened.
Based on how this car appears, somehow it has survived to become an excellent example of it's original condition. If you're a Shelby fan, enthusiast, historian, or even if your a Chevy, Mopar, or any brand enthusiast, I gotta believe you can agree, if there's a Car Company that produced some of the most formidable race cars, infused High-Tech knowledge of the day in it's vehicles, and created a fun, outstanding, fearsome breed of automobiles, I think we can all agree that the name Shelby is not only at the top of the list, but is a name that will forever be apart of the American lexicon.
To capture a true 1966 Shelby GT350 Hertz is rare. Just to be in the presence of this Mustang will conjure up memories of what was happening in America at that time. For an example, when this Shelby was prowling the mean streets of San Francisco, The Beatles were performing their last concert at Candlestick Park in this Shelby's city on August 29, 1966.
Truly an amazing time, the cars, the Music...The Freedom!

VIDEO OF THE CARS CAN BE SEEN AT WWW.WESTCOASTCOLLECTORCARS.COM

Price - $159,900.00

DA3304

Additional info and photos at West Coast Collector Cars www.westcoastcollectorcars.com

silverton_ford

6s1640

The tires look huge on this car, but are only P235/60-R14's.  I wonder if the Magnums with the smaller offset make them look bigger when compared to the same size on ten spokes.  The offset are less than .50 inch difference. Not sure.

Cory

silverton_ford

Price adjusted again....   $149,900  - - This is a nice car.  I have seen it in person.  Contact me if you would like me to inspect it for you (no charge).  The car is 5 miles from my house.  Don't let the price dropping scare you.  I believe the owner was a bit too optimistic about what to ask for it when he first put it up for sale.  I don't have any stake in this, just helping spread the word for the owner.  I do not get paid and wouldn't take any if offered.

https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/ctd/d/turner-1966-ford-mustang-shelby-gt350h/7209900218.html

6s1640

Hi Brain,

Adding image for the long term record when the link no longer works, showing new price.   I like this car.  The tires still look huge on the chrome Magnum 500's.

Cory

silverton_ford

Price keeps dropping. - $129,900

CSX 4133

6s1640

Hi Brian,

I looked at this car on Tuesday 11-10-20 and it looks like a solid car.  There are things the new owner may want to change to be more period assembly line, but looks like easy stuff, like swapping out Edelbrock water pump for  the Ford cast iron HiPo pump, period fan shroud, yellow top coil and button top fuel pump.  All easy stuff to swap.  Dean says he is now getting lots of call.  I expect it will not last long.

While I was there, pulling up to the place, there was transporter there with the flexible side panels or side curtains of sort.  I could see what appear to be a partial view of a red 1966 GT350 in a forward compartment.  By the time I got the car parked, the transporter was all buttoned up and I could no longer see inside.  Any body have any ideas on this car?

Take care

Cory

silverton_ford

Appears that the car has sold.  Looks like the car will be going to Southern California.

https://www.facebook.com/WestCoastCollectorCars

Here is a picture of the old owner and the new owner.

Here is the consignment shop owner and old owner.

Hopefully the new owner is on here and can share with us his new car.   I think he purchased a great car.

Sfm6sxxx

I guess COVID isn't a thing in Oregon.

6S1114

shelbyluva

Congratulations to the buyer. Beautiful car. I love the tire size BTW.

J_Speegle

Quote from: shelbyluva on November 14, 2020, 02:32:01 PM
Sounds like the buyer did well with this being yesterday's sale at 176k: https://www.mecum.com/lots/LN1120-422502/1966-shelby-gt350h-fastback/

All depends on the car, its history and the details. Was informed of another yesterday that went for less than either and presented itself in very similar ways but again - all different cars
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge