Author Topic: Battery Question for a 1965 R Model  (Read 3297 times)

BGlover67

• SAAC Member
  • Formerly "My Shelby Dream"
    • View Profile
Battery Question for a 1965 R Model
« on: March 18, 2018, 06:52:24 AM »
I've been studying the different batteries for the Shelby American products used from 1965-1970, and I came across this article:

http://www.mustangandfords.com/featured-vehicles/mump-1101-ford-1965-shelby-gt350/

It is about car 5R213, and the owner says this about it:

"It even has the original Cobra vented battery caps," he says. "There are probably less than a half-dozen left in the world. It's got the genuine battery sitting in the trunk, an Autolite reverse-post 24C series, with the only original negative battery cable I have ever seen."

Is that correct for this model?  Would it have been green lettered? 
Thanks,
Brian R. Glover
SAAC Carolina's Northern Representative

texas swede

• View Profile
Re: Battery Question for a 1965 R Model
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2018, 07:06:51 AM »
This green text Autolite battery is from 1968 and up. I have one of these in my garage.
The reversed posts battery used for rear mounted battery cars in 1965 was an
Auto-Lite text battery, See picture somebody on this Forum posted some years ago.
Texas Swede

texas swede

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2018, 07:09:32 AM »
Another picture from the trunk of 5R104 after restoration.
Texas Swede

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2018, 11:21:41 AM »
I've been studying the different batteries for the Shelby American products used from 1965-1970, and I came across this article:

http://www.mustangandfords.com/featured-vehicles/mump-1101-ford-1965-shelby-gt350/

"It even has the original Cobra vented battery caps," he says. "There are probably less than a half-dozen left in the world. It's got the genuine battery sitting in the trunk, an Autolite reverse-post 24C series, with the only original negative battery cable I have ever seen."

I don't believe so. Howard has paperwork invoices for a large purchase of "Prestolite" brand reverse post batteries
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2018, 11:48:10 AM »

I don't believe so. Howard has paperwork invoices for a large purchase of "Prestolite" brand reverse post batteries
Here are some pictures including a 1964-65 Prestolite Ad.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

BGlover67

• SAAC Member
  • Formerly "My Shelby Dream"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2018, 12:19:37 PM »
Wow Bob, thanks for sharing.  I questioned the green lettering to start.  From some older Autolite ads I've acquired it seemed that yellow and red could be colors for OEM Autolite batteries, while green was a lesser quality/cheaper line for service replacements.  They also had a higher quality/ more expensive gold lettered also.  The owner of that R model seemed pretty adamant about it being correct in the article, go figure.  Never mind the Prestolite knowledge.
Thanks,
Brian R. Glover
SAAC Carolina's Northern Representative

• SAAC Member
  • Fox Island, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2018, 04:13:01 PM »
I had forgotten all about the Prestolite brand.

They are still in operation;

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prestolite_Electric

CharlesTurner

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2018, 01:52:52 AM »
Prestolite (the company), manufactured Prestolite and Autolite marked batteries.  Just because the invoice to SA came from Prestolite is not a guarantee they were marked Prestolite.  Based on previous discussions on the old forum, the reverse post in the trunk of GT350's was the same type on Cobras, which were Autolite marked.
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge